Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another electric car fail: Nissan Leaf needs 4 charges to go 180 miles

Originally posted by Ghent12 View Post
    Americans spend tremendous amounts of money on things that do not improve their standards of living at all.

I could not understand why people spent all that money on an SUV or fancy cars either. If you do not know what you are missing than it does seem so wasteful. A BMW and a Camry both get you from A to B. The difference is one is enjoyable to drive while the other is enjoyable get out of . 10% of your waking life might be spent in your vehicle. The "tremendous" amount of money has been worth it every day. I only regret I was so conservative in my auto purchases 10 years ago.

Comment

Vehicles tie in with so many other aspects of life besides mere transportation that to discount the choices Americans make is to discount hard reality.
      That's sad but true in so many ways.

As an example, I can tell you that had I not purchased a brand new Mustang GT years ago by going into some significant debt and instead purchased a modest/nice sedan for the purpose of efficiently taking me from point A to point B, my quality of life would very likely be substantially lower. I'll let you speculate as to how, but it should be fairly obvious.
      Ahahaha! Understood!

Comment

Originally posted by aaron View Post
        I could not understand why people spent all that money on an SUV or fancy cars either. If you do not know what you are missing than it does seem so wasteful. A BMW and a Camry both get you from A to B. The difference is one is enjoyable to drive while the other is enjoyable get out of . 10% of your waking life might be spent in your vehicle. The "tremendous" amount of money has been worth it every day. I only regret I was so conservative in my auto purchases 10 years ago.
        By the way, you quoted me, not Ghent12.

But I was not suggesting that people ditch their SUVs for adequate cars (Camry) or crappy cars. Something like a BMW sedan or coupe is what I would consider a pretty nice ride.

The only appeal I see in driving an SUV is that it is useful a person who typically has a lot of passengers (this is the rarest use case, at least in Houston) or it's a bigger gun in the arms race to drive the biggest, heaviest vehicle on the road to better your odds of survival in the event of a collision with another vehicle.

Of course, perhaps it's just me. I'm highly resistant to advertising and find that oftentimes, advertisements have the exact opposite effect on me. I've had friends tell me that driving a sports car makes them feel young while driving a minivan makes them feel old. I've never had any such emotions driving any car. My opinions are coldly objective: the car is a POS, it's pretty nice, or something in between.

Comment

Originally posted by Milton Kuo View Post
          The only appeal I see in driving an SUV is that it is useful a person who typically has a lot of passengers (this is the rarest use case, at least in Houston) or it's a bigger gun in the arms race to drive the biggest, heaviest vehicle on the road to better your odds of survival in the event of a collision with another vehicle.

Of course, perhaps it's just me. I'm highly resistant to advertising and find that oftentimes, advertisements have the exact opposite effect on me. .....
          +1
          but the SUV thing is more perspective than anything else, IMHO Mr K - 'it all depends', as it were - on things like WHAT are you needing to haul around with you = a lifestyle aspect (stuff like camping, fishing, boating, skiing eqpt - esp with kids and dogs)

WHERE are you hauling stuff: in a urban/metro 'hood - or out in the wild wild west, climbing over 10-12000 foot mountain passes - where a loaded-up wagon with 4cyl engine doesnt quite git it - esp out on the interstate, where yer getting practically run over if yer not going at least 75

HOW MANY are going with you and HOW LONG of a voyage are ya headin out on

typing as one who has been weekend-trek'g in a small wagon (4cyl, maybe getting 28-30mpg, but when all loaded up with all the above mentioned stuff, gets more like 21 - never mind when humping it all up/over mtn passes...)
          something like a chevy suburban - which these days are touted as getting 20+ on the open road - starts to make lots of sense, vs much smaller vehicles - and must say i'm tempted to buy one - altho a sprinter van with the mercedes diesel is really more my style - and i'm told these get upwards of 26mpg

so guess 'it all depends' on what one is going to be doing - sides driving around the 'hood looking for a parking stall at the mall, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by lektrode View Post
            WHERE are you hauling stuff: in a urban/metro 'hood - or out in the wild wild west, climbing over 10-12000 foot mountain passes - where a loaded-up wagon with 4cyl engine doesnt quite git it - esp out on the interstate, where yer getting practically run over if yer not going at least 75

HOW MANY are going with you and HOW LONG of a voyage are ya headin out on
            I'm not suggesting that all large cars and trucks have no use. However, at least in Houston, practically no one climbs 12,000 foot mountain passes, goes off-road through a forest, or whatever. If you're ever around here, take a look and see for yourself. Almost without fail, it's one person (on the weekdays) or a three or four person family (on the weekends) in a car going on paved, concrete roads to some air conditioned place with a paved concrete parking lot.

For doing work and hauling stuff, most everyone around here drives a pickup truck or a modified one with a covered cargo area.

I guess it's pretty obvious by now that SUVs are a pet peeve of mine. In 1998 or thereabouts when gasoline fell to $0.899/gallon, I thought to myself, "What a great place this country is! Where else but the United States of America could a finite supply, critical resource such as gasoline actually fall in price over time?" I suppose I should have seen it coming but rather than enjoy the savings and continue to find ways to conserve a depleting resource, large numbers of people took the savings from the cheaper gasoline and spent it all and then some on cars that got lousy gas mileage last seen in the 1970s.

Nevermind the risks that these vehicles pose to their drivers and to other vehicles. I worked at a company where a very bright young man died because the SUV he was in rolled over. The young man suffered a head injury while the other three passengers escaped relatively unharmed. This was before the revelation of the Firestone tires and Ford's complicity in not disclosing a problem. Everyone thought it was just bad luck that they just somehow lost control of the car. There were no drugs or alcohol to have impaired the driver.

I also once was on a freeway when an SUV pointlessly sped to get ahead of me (I was already doing close to 70 MPH) in relatively busy traffic. In the lane right of me and slightly ahead by less than a car length, imagine what went through my head when I saw one of his tires blow out. Fortunately for everyone in the vicinity, his car pulled to the right where there was no traffic and he was able to eventually regain control of his car and drive it onto the shoulder. No one was injured and the driver was merely out a few hundred dollars for new tires.

I currently have a very short daily commute so this doesn't bother me nearly as much as it used to. However, if I had to commute a long distance in heavy traffic, I'd seriously consider spending the money to join the arms race of bigger, heavier vehicles. Either that or buy a Mercedes-Benz S-class car which is really good at protecting its passengers in crashes.

Comment

Ahahaha! Understood!
              +2
              only one better n that would be... uhhhh 'the artist formerly known as... the purple one's fave little red...'

I'm not suggesting that all large cars and trucks have no use. ....
              but rather than enjoy the savings and continue to find ways to conserve a depleting resource, large numbers of people took the savings from the cheaper gasoline and spent it all and then some on cars that got lousy gas mileage last seen in the 1970s.
              and i share that frustration - altho my POV is that the auto cos, rather than put all the advancements in engine tech, matls, etc into developing vehicles with MPG like the foreign mfrs have been doing for decades - we now get cars that just go faster/quicker up to the next red light...

Comment

Working...
              X