Interview of Eric Janszen by Monex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview of Eric Janszen by Monex

This interview of Eric Janszen was conducted by Monex January 2007. In it he talks about the housing market declining, the asset-backed securities market blowing up, and gold rising.

The interview was used in Oct. for ads run by Monex on CNN Money and made available in Nov. for iTulip's use.

Note that a correlation is drawn in January 2007 between the correction in the housing market, crisis in the market for asset-backed mortgage securities, and the price rise in gold. The connection is that gold investors understood that the credit crunch meant future rate cuts, further dollar depreciation, and other economic reflation efforts that are dollar negative and gold positive.

As forecast, structured mortgage credit market collapses in July 2007...

Index of Asset Backed Securities Prices

...and gold takes off in August after a year of sleeping around $650.

Gold

Last edited by FRED; November 07, 2007, 12:47 PM. Reason: Added charts
    Ed.

Re: Interview of Eric Janszen by Monex

Originally posted by Fred View Post
    This interview of Eric Janszen was conducted by Monex January 2007. In it he talks about the housing market declining, the asset-backed securities blowing up, and gold rising. I think you'll find it interesting!

Am I the only one not getting this to play? I get a 404 when I try the link.

Comment

Originally posted by zoog View Post
      Am I the only one not getting this to play? I get a 404 when I try the link.
      It stopped working for no apparent reason. We'll post it to YouTube.
      Ed.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred View Post
        It stopped working for no apparent reason. We'll post it to YouTube.
        Ok, got a working version on youtube.
        Ed.

Comment

Originally posted by EJ, (speaking in video) View Post
          Generally I recommend somewhere between 10 and 15 percent [gold allocation], which by the way was what everyone used to recommend up until maybe 10 or 15 years ago.
          If this indeed became standard practice gold would certainly go through the roof. Even using the UN's 2000 world personal net worth figure of $125T, a 10% slice of that pie divided by the 4.2B ounces ever mined gives us a gold price of ~$3,000/oz. Subtract the 1B oz. held as bank reserves and it comes to ~$4,000/oz. Subtract non-investment gold and the price climbs more.

Using these assumptions, and with current prices around $800, gold accounts for about 2% of individual assets. Anyone have any historical data for tracking the percent of total personal wealth held in gold over time?

Comment

i think ej overstated it a bit. i recall hearing 5-10% as a standard allocation.

Comment

Originally posted by jk View Post
              i think ej overstated it a bit. i recall hearing 5-10% as a standard allocation.
              overstated my ass! my broker in the 70s used to say 15%. but... come to think of it that was in the nixonian inflation era. er... nevermind. but, hey, he's got to nod to monex, right? i mean these guy are famous for THE WORLD IS GOING TO END BETTER BUY GOLD NOW! pitch. even SNL did a skit about it. ej is awful tame compared to the other raving goldbug loonies that pitch pms for them.

Comment

Re: EJ: Gold as inflation hedge --Yes!

Originally posted by Polish_Silver
                So dollar depreciation is a reason to own Gold? No wonder EJ purged the video !
                let it go dude. You made your point.

Comment

Working...
                X