Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Obama declares swine flu a national emergency

Originally posted by c1ue View Post
    I posted recently that someone I met who works in the company that makes the vaccines - via a recent acquisition - told me the following:

1) every employee was given over a dozen doses
    2) The company strongly recommended NOT taking the dose unless seriously sick. The side effects would be dramatic

Hmm!
    strange recommendation - Should a vaccine not be taken before the onset of the illness, in order for the body to build the necessary antibodies to fight a full blown infection.

What benefit would accrue to taking a vaccine if one is already ill with the virus; the vaccine is supposed to protect against?

I might understand a recommendation like this if it is referring to a product like Tamiflu and some data, studies, cases were provided.

Appreciate if you could extrapolate.
    "that each simple substance has relations which express all the others"

Comment

1) every employee was given over a dozen doses
      A dozen doses of what -- some flu vaccine? That's strange, unless perhaps for the purposes of some testing for toxicity, in which case I wouldn't force such testing on every employee.
      Most folks are good; a few aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePythonicCow View Post
        A dozen doses of what -- some flu vaccine? That's strange, unless perhaps for the purposes of some testing for toxicity, in which case I wouldn't force such testing on every employee.
        According to Dr. Sears, the US H1N1 flu shots have the same exact ingredients as the seasonal flu shot. The risks should be similar. I'm not a big fan of the seasonal flu shot because I'm not confident about it's effectiveness but there shouldn't be all this fear that the government is trying to kill us with the H1N1 shot either. Link to Doctor Sears website.

http://www.askdrsears.com/thevaccinebook/

Comment

Originally posted by Kadriana View Post
          According to Dr. Sears, the US H1N1 flu shots have the same exact ingredients as the seasonal flu shot. The risks should be similar. I'm not a big fan of the seasonal flu shot because I'm not confident about it's effectiveness but there shouldn't be all this fear that the government is trying to kill us with the H1N1 shot either. Link to Doctor Sears website.

http://www.askdrsears.com/thevaccinebook/
          You posted this in response to a post of mine, though I see no particular connection between your post and my post other than we're both talking about swine flu vaccine. Did I miss something in your post?

Comment

Originally posted by TPC
            Yes, upon further reflection what was probably talked about was not a vaccine so much as an antiviral.

The substance of the conversation was that unless you were really really sick, you were better off not taking the dose. Because taking the dose would make you really really sick.

Given that the person speaking (and their co-workers) were in the 30 to 35 age group, seemed interesting that our government would stockpile so much.

Comment

Yes, upon further reflection what was probably talked about was not a vaccine so much as an antiviral.
              Ok - that makes more sense. Something such as Tamiflu I suppose. Yes, I agree that Tamiflu has its problems, as you describe.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePythonicCow View Post
                You posted this in response to a post of mine, though I see no particular connection between your post and my post other than we're both talking about swine flu vaccine. Did I miss something in your post?
                No, I was just kind of throwing it on the end of the vaccine conversation. I was just wanting to throw up the link for people curious about the vaccine. Dr. Sears is selective about vaccines so I like him as a source. I think some European countries did add adjunctives to theirs and they're seeing more reactions. Now I am going to crawl back in bed since I'm still fighting the flu.

Comment

Originally posted by Kadriana View Post
                  Now I am going to crawl back in bed since I'm still fighting the flu.
                  I wish you well. Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Billy Corgan Blogs About Swine Flu, Refuses to Get Vaccinated

10/29/09, 1:22 pm EST
                    “I am not a doctor, and I am in no way suggesting that you should follow any medical advice from me,” Billy Corgan writes at the top of a blog post about swine flu. What follows is nearly 850 words of Corgan spitting conspiracy theories on his Everything From Here to There blog regarding the H1N1 virus.
                    Smashing Pumpkins’ frontman has a central thesis — that the illness was “created by man” and driven by a “propaganda machine” powered by fear. “I for one will not be taking the vaccine. I do not trust those who make the vaccines, or the apparatus behind it all to push it on us thru fear,” Corgan writes.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdail...et-vaccinated/

thinking musicians ?

Comment

Medical chief warns of extremists’ attacking flu vaccination campaign

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6896172.ece

Medical chief warns of extremists’ attacking flu vaccination campaign

Extremists are attempting to derail the introduction of a national swine flu vaccination campaign, the country’s top doctor has warned.

Sir Liam Donaldson, the Chief Medical Officer for England, spoke out against protests aimed at deterring people from having the jab. In one case, a Birmingham hospital had already been flyposted with anti-vaccination messages as its immunisation campaign started.

Estimates suggest that 78,000 people in England fell ill with swine flu last week, an increase on the 53,000 new cases in the week before.

He added that the vaccine against the H1N1 virus offered the chance to prevent vulnerable people developing serious illness, and spoke out against a poster campaign that depicted the jab as a “weapon of mass destruction”.

“We have had a lot of unfair public criticism and attacks in an attempt to scare people about a vaccine that’s potentially life-saving,” he added.

“We have seen it before with vaccines like MMR [the combined jab for measles, mumps and rubella], and now extremists are doing the same thing again.”

Many doctors have not yet received the first doses of the Pandemrix vaccine, made by GlaxoSmithKline

Comment

Re: Medical chief warns of extremists’ attacking flu vaccination campaign

"Pandemrix" ... is that really the name of GSK's H1N1 vaccine ?

I wonder what they'll call the H5N1 vaccine if (God forbid) we ever need one to counter a REAL pandemic.

"ThisTimeIt'sARealPandemrix" ?

I'll be interested to see if the WHO advise that children only need 1 dose will be heeded by the CDC or whether they'll continue to insist on 2.

Comment

Been there, seen that, got the T shirt. Check how the emergency is dealt down here in ol' Mexico.
                          Last edited by ocelotl; November 12, 2009, 12:31 AM.
                          sigpic
                          Attention: Electronics Engineer Learning Economics.

Comment

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

TORONTO (AP)—Ontario health minister Deb Matthews vowed Thursday to investigate whether Toronto’s NBA and NHL players jumped the line for the swine flu shot while other groups are being forced to wait as the province’s supply dwindles.

Matthews said she shares the outrage sparked by reports that Maple Leafs and Raptors players got the shot even though the province doesn’t have enough yet to vaccinate school-age children.

“I don’t care who you are, how rich you are, how famous you are,” she said. “If you’re not in the priority group, get out of the line and let the people who are in the priority groups get their vaccination.”

Matthews expects Ontario to run out of the regular H1N1 vaccine at the end of the week due to Ottawa’s dramatic supply slowdown.

The province has enough vaccine to immunize 2.2 million people, which is intended only for the estimated 3.4 million Ontarians who fall under the province’s high-priority groups, she said.

They include pregnant women, children between 6 months and 5 years of age, people who care for infants and other people who can’t get the vaccine, people under the age of 65 with chronic conditions and those living in remote communities. The government wants to add school-age children as a priority group, but Matthews said it doesn’t have enough vaccine.

She doesn’t yet know how the Maple Leafs and Raptors players got the shot.

A health employee in Alberta was fired after letting the Calgary Flames jump the swine flu shot line.

Comment

Originally posted by babbittd View Post
                              “I don’t care who you are, how rich you are, how famous you are,” she said. “If you’re not in the priority group, get out of the line and let the people who are in the priority groups get their vaccination.”
                              She's got it wrong. Those hockey players who jump the line are performing an important civic duty :rolleyes:. By creating a bit of outrage involving such hockey celebrities, both hockey fans and hockey haters are drawn into the "vaccine shortage" scam, thereby increasing the number of people eager to get the shots for themselves and their children as soon as possible.

Comment

Wall Street bankers at front of queue for scarce swine flu vaccine

Goldman Sachs, Citigroup and Morgan Stanley among first New York employers to receive shipments of H1N1 antidote

>>>>>

One can only hope that if there are any contaminated batches of the vaccine floating around that this is one of them.

Comment

Working...
                                X