Shocking even for the US Navy !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shocking even for the US Navy !

I nearly lost it on the wife's cousin for posting a bunch of that Sandy Hook denial bullshit. Bastard lives a 30min drive from Newtown and odds are almost certainly interacts with someone effected regularly. But he'd rather post shit Alex Jones cooks up in Texas than take a little ride down I-84 and have a look for himself.

I mean, I understand how somebody on the other side of the continent could believe that Connecticut is just full of paid actors pretending their kids are dead in some twisted Yankee plot to confiscate guns. But when it's someone just on the other side of Connecticut, it's just unconscionably lazy.

Comment

Originally posted by dcarrigg View Post
      And how lobotomized would I have to be to start thinking that, if we all stay out of the sun long enough, then she's on the same team with David Koch and me against my Puerto Rican friend I've known since pre-school?
      Damn. Couple weeks back Dale Earnhardt Jr. was in my dream and I woke to hear he survived a plane crash. This was more surprising...

Comment

My dear, aren't we busy muddying the waters this morning. So much churning and it's hardly past lunch time. Seems Ellenz's and your disastrous attempt at slander and character assassination didn't go so well once its mendacity and viciousness was exposed by a mere reading of the text (sans ellipses and paraphrasing).

But howl, howl! Howl and claw and perhaps that gnawing voice inside will be drowned out at last.

https://youtu.be/t3TbSjZ_fxc?t=196

Comment

They do say misery loves company.

Comment

So much hate and bloodlust in you. Those Red Flag laws can't come soon enough!

Comment

dc, i allowed myself to get involved with what i hoped would be a reasoned discussion with woodsman during the '16 elections, and unfortunately it turned into my feeling i'd been trolled. on his reappearance here i was, as usual, inclined to openness. now i'd say don't feed the troll.

Comment

More ad-hominem means less argument, jk. And who is a troll? Is it someone who selectively quotes small passages - generously peppered with ellipses and paraphrases - from a 6K+ word article with the transparent intent to smear someone as an antisemite and to encourage readers not to examine well-documented sources of information?

And do the howls of someone seemingly obsessed by feelings of inferiority and hauling a permanent chip on his shoulder make you more or less confident of his rationality?

If you were grading an undergraduate and saw that s/he made a transparent, easily confirmed effort to distort and misrepresent quotes so as to rob someone of their dignity and assault their character, would you give them a A or an F? If that undergraduate's argument was based on emotionalism, ad-hominems, and guilt by association, would you pass or fail him?

And when such attempts blow up in their faces and leave them looking like mendacious and vicious partisans, do you look to them as worthy of trust in other matters? So who's the troll?

Or is intellectual honesty and a fearless commitment to following the truth wherever it leads, whatever sacred cows are gored in the process, something that can be jettisoned when attacking cultural and political enemies? Certainly that's the fashion among people of the Left these days. But it's unflattering garb all the same.

Comment

On one level, I agree with your point.

On the other, sometimes I think there's some value in engaging with the paranoid style. Not to debate it. That's pointless. But just to draw out what's actually going on.

Most everyone has little experience with red hand propaganda, much less realizes there's an active Rushdoony-style reconstruction campaign going on that clearly explains why the stars and bars keep popping up in Northern Ireland. I have no clue how much Ron Unz pays attention to this stuff. But I know right well what some of the folks he's promoting are up to.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodsman View Post
                    More ad-hominem means less argument, jk. And who is a troll? Is it someone who selectively quotes small passages - generously peppered with ellipses and paraphrases - from a 6K+ word article with the transparent intent to smear someone as an antisemite and to encourage readers not to examine well-documented sources of information?
                    You had a quotation in your post and didn't give any source for it. I was curious, so I looked for it online... a website I'd never seen before.

I posted the link so people could go and read the whole thing for themselves.
                    If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will.

Comment

"People, they're talkin' about you and I
                      What they sayin' I know is a lie
                      The people, they're talkin' about me and you
                      I done got tired, I'm gonna talk some too

They talk about my dog, they talk about my cat
                      Sayin' my dog can't bark and my cat can't scratch

My dog can bark and my cat can scratch
                      Who started the fire'll have to go out and stop the match

Ain't nobody's business if I bark like a dog
                      Chasin' rats all up and down the hall
                      The people they're talkin' about me and you
                      I done got tired, I'm gonna talk some too"

Comment

Originally posted by Woodsman View Post
                        More ad-hominem

hauling a permanent chip on his shoulder
                        Delicious. Especially given the first printed use of the phrase.

Originally posted by Boston Post, November 20, 1852
                        The conduct of both these gentlemen [the US abolitionists Theodore Parker and William Garrison] puts us in mind of the Irishman who went through town with a chip on his shoulder, anxious to have a fight, and shouting, "Arrah, will none of ye knock the chip off me shoulder!"

Comment

Originally posted by jk View Post
                          ps i live in ct. a colleague of my wife's lives in sandy hook, a block or two from the school where the 6 year olds were shot. it's amazing to me that such an event could be turned into a conspiracy theory. there is no longer any source of information which is overwhelmingly respected. that's a problem. anti-vaxxers, flat-earthers
                          If the news media only reported news instead of fabricating or distorting it and then getting caught, they would not have the credibility crisis they now face. I took a look at the home page of the New York Times after the shootings occurred in El Paso and Dayton and it was a pathetic sight. Distortion through omission and identity politics galore.

If it hasn't already reached its nadir, the US news media is as trusted by US citizens as the Soviet news media was by citizens of the USSR. My gut feeling is that the credibility of the US news media still has further to fall.

Reminds me of an interesting story that I may have read here on iTulip about news in the USSR. People living in East Germany were always told that life in the west was every bit as hard or even worse than it was in the USSR. The good life they saw on West German television was lies and fantasy they were told. The East Germans all knew it was a pack of lies and one East German said, "I knew the East German news was lying because I saw a West German television show. In the show, a person is at home where some of his friends show up. The man tells his friends to help themselves to a drink from his refrigerator. The friends go to the man's refrigerator, open it up to reveal a refrigerator stocked with drinks, fresh fruits and vegetables, and other food stuffs. They each take a drink and go back to the man's living room to talk. At that point, I knew all the East German propaganda about life being as bad or even worse in the west was a lie. If that show were scripted in East Germany, the friends would have been shocked at all the food in the refrigerator and fought each to take as much food from the refrigerator as possible."

Comment

Shit!
                            Did I cause all this?

Look am born of a Proddy Father & Irish Cat Mother.............so spare me please!
                            I had to grow up in the 1970's watching all this crap going on..........yes I have a slight chip on my shoulder about the British way of doing things, but they Bloody well tried again & again..........

Its OVER, Islam is fast becoming the force in Ireland (won't it be funny if they pulled it off?)

Last edited by Mega; August 23, 2019, 01:12 PM.

Comment

I think you're probably right. Mostly because consolidation has killed local reporting dead. There's only so much one can learn about facts on the ground from a desk in a skyscraper in New York or San Francisco. And that's assuming the handful of folks who own all the press outlets are actually fire-walled off from editorial decisions, which is farcical.

Key difference is its not monolithic. You got the choice to decide if you want to hear Murdoch's truth or Bezos' every time you pick whether to open the Journal or the Post. Suppose the key problem comes in when there are ideas that both Murdoch and Bezos and the rest of their ilk all wanna push or stop. That's when stuff either gets too much oxygen or snuffed out.

Comment

You're fine, Mike. The Irish angle is just a dodge and distraction by some Fenian wanna-be's and never-were's hoping for Troubles here across the pond. But it's thin gruel and the bowl is nearly empty.

Originally posted by Mega View Post
                                Shit! Did I cause all this?

Comment

Working...
                                X