Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• America's deadly double tap drone attacks

As I read this story I couldn't help but think:

1) what would be the reaction of our government if DoD officials were thus trageted by other nations for their 'terrorism' on foreign soil by killing so many civilians?
    2) How doubly outraged we would be if such a policy were conducted upon our shores?
    3) Does anyone even bother to think about he 'blow-back' this is causing among the populations abroad, if they even bother to think at all?
    4) How right Ron Paul truly is when he says "they're over here because we're over there"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Pakistan.html

America's deadly double tap drone attacks are 'killing 49 people for every known terrorist in Pakistan'

• Study found war against violent Islamists has become increasingly deadly
    • Researchers blame common tactic now being used – the 'double-tap' strike
    • Drone strikes condemned for their ineffectiveness in targeting militants

By Leon Watson
    PUBLISHED: 05:52 EST, 25 September 2012 | UPDATED: 07:39 EST, 25 September 2012
    Just one in 50 victims of America’s deadly drone strikes in Pakistan are terrorists – while the rest are innocent civilians, a new report claimed today.

The authoritative joint study, by Stanford and New York Universities, concludes that men, women and children are being terrorised by the operations ’24 hours-a-day’.

And the authors lay much of the blame on the use of the ‘double-tap’ strike where a drone fires one missile – and then a second as rescuers try to drag victims from the rubble. One aid agency said they had a six-hour delay before going to the scene.

The tactic has cast such a shadow of fear over strike zones that people often wait for hours before daring to visit the scene of an attack. Investigators also discovered that communities living in fear of the drones were suffering severe stress and related illnesses. Many parents had taken their children out of school because they were so afraid of a missile-strike.

*snip*

Re: America's deadly double tap drone attacks

I think we have already seen the blowback. I'm not sure I buy the numbers here, but hey, if it was my kid killed in one of these strikes, yeah, I might strap on a bomb if I had to. Has to be a better way. America has let itself get sucked into a tit for tat war with no end in sight. I don't claim to know all the answers, and this is a complex situation, but payback can get ugly. Not sure murdering each other is the answer. Not the first time the US has underestimated an enemy's tolerance for bloodshed. Its not France they are fighting. Death has been a way of life in those regions for a long time.

Comment

Absolutely heartsickening. Growing up, we were taught in school about "awful" countries like the USSR that waged cruel wars around the world, and how the USA was the "good guy", so much more moral and decent than other countries. We were the country of the Peace Corps and food aid to starving people. I realize now that so much of that was propaganda but still I wonder every day, "What happened to my country? Where did it go?" Looking everywhere for it, even under the sofa cushions, but I can't find it...

Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Comment

Just because it was propaganda, that doesn't mean it wasn't true.

It's hard to stomach this situation, and I have a great deal of fear for my children because of the mess that the generation before me is creating. Will the next major terrorist attack inside the US involve nuclear weapons, or will we "only" lose several thousand people via unconventional attacks? More importantly, why are we setting the stage for such an attack to take place? Anyone who actually understands the motivations or history behind Osama Bin Laden knows that he set his sights on the US and Saudi Arabia for the asinine reason that they allowed our troops to deploy there to tug on the leash of one of our "partners" in the region gone rogue. We set the stage for 9/11 by not understanding the hornet's nest we were constantly poking a stick at. And now since the hornets attacked us, we have gone hog wild attacking all the hornets' nests we can find!

Good luck everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by shiny! View Post
          Absolutely heartsickening. Growing up, we were taught in school about "awful" countries like the USSR that waged cruel wars around the world, and how the USA was the "good guy", so much more moral and decent than other countries. We were the country of the Peace Corps and food aid to starving people. I realize now that so much of that was propaganda but still I wonder every day, "What happened to my country? Where did it go?" Looking everywhere for it, even under the sofa cushions, but I can't find it...
          There are still HEAPS of Americans acting on behalf of America in hundreds of countries effecting positive change..........and/or.........being more selective in cutting out or treating the cancer.

Whether the net benefit of the stuff that cannot be contested as positive outweighs all the far higher profile negative........that's another story.

Comment

Working...
          X