• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bombs going off in Stockholm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11977524
    Mike

Re: Bombs going off in Stockholm

So ... is someone reminding Sweden of their duty with regard to Mr. Assange?

Or was Sweden threatening to step out of line with regard to the War on Terror?

Or what?
    Most folks are good; a few aren't.

Comment

Sounds like a little early Christmas present from our friends from the Religion of Peace.
      Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho

Comment

Hmmmm.... timing seems a little too sweet to be believed. From what I've read the CIA is threatening to cut Sweden Secret Services out of the loop on security issues if they don't help to target Assange. Seems a no-brainer to underline to the Swedish people that they are vulnerable (to whom is a different issue.)

For anyone who doubts the plausibility of this I suggest a close read of the history of the P2 Lodge during the 70s in Italy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda_Due

Comment

I always thought Swedes were "Above It", but from the few assasinations of their politicians in the past that place looks to have its own "cancer' in the body politics.

Comment

Some people, when they hear hoofbeats outside the window, think horses. Others think purple and pink striped zebras, controlled by CIA-implanted mind-control chips.
            Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho

Comment

Originally posted by Master Shake View Post
              Some people, when they hear hoofbeats outside the window, think horses. Others think purple and pink striped zebras, controlled by CIA-implanted mind-control chips.
              If you study history closely enough, you end up learning that it's zebras, time and time again, often not exposed until years later when classified internal documents are exposed.

The color of the stripes and the means of mind control change, but it seems we live on a giant zebra farm. Seldom a real horse in sight; just zebras wearing horse costumes.

Comment

Those with extra-duty tin foil and the optional beanie propeller see zebras everywhere, of all different colors.

Comment

I doubt the € killed her
                  Lindh was generally seen as one of the prime candidates to succeed Göran Persson as President of the Social Democrats and Prime Minister of Sweden. In the final weeks of her life, she was intensely involved in the pro-euro campaign preceding the Swedish referendum on the euro, held on September 14, 2003, only three days after her death. As one of the most popular pro-euro politicians, she was used as a front person by the campaign, and so her face was on billboards all over Sweden the day she was murdered.
                  At least everyone gets the Al Qaede is here to invade you message.

Comment

For the benefit of students reading this, an economical theory is a theory which best explains events or observations, without resorting to space-aliens, chip-implants, Area 51, or new pink- coloured zebras. More often than not, economical theories prove to be sound and correct.

In physics, Albert Einstein had to invent in his Theory of Relativity only one thing: curved space-time, and that curviture was later verified by astronomers when they observed the Sun's light was bent by the Sun's warp of space-time. So, as an observer of the world, I look for economical theories which explain everything, even critical-questions. A bogus theory needs to invent more theory to explain all of the observations and questions.

So far, the best theory that I have to explain what is happening in Europe and the entire world is a terrorist conspiracy by certain Islamists, namely: Al Qaide, the Mujahadeen, Hamas, and Hesbollah. But I will keep an open mind as a liberal, but my tolerance for fundamentalist religion is wearing thin.
                    Last edited by Starving Steve; December 12, 2010, 08:43 PM.

Comment

"Economical theory" = Occam's Razor.

Comment

Originally posted by Starving Steve View Post
                        For the benefit of students reading this, an economical theory is a theory which best explains events or observations, without resorting to space-aliens, chip-implants, Area 51, or new pink- coloured zebras. More often than not, economical theories prove to be sound and correct.
                        So ... I should have always preferred the shorter program over the longer program, when I was managing computer software projects, right?

No.

Short, elegant and conceptually clear programs were always preferred, yes, and I endeavored more than most programmers to write such, and more than most managers to encourage such.

One little detail though ... the program had to be correct, so far as we could tell.

Occam's Razor is an insufficient tool, in and of itself.

P.S. -- Ridicule is a common tactic of those lacking more substantive points.

Comment

Mister Shake,

The trouble is if you're not familiar with the history of how crazy things can and have gotten in the netherworld of the secret services then you are not in a good position to judge what explanations are on offer. Applying occam's razor by assuming simplicity is no less absurd than a convoluted explanation that at least recognizes the patterns of the past.

The P2 history I think is relevant here because it points to the deep involvement of western secret services in apparently "Red brigade" style terrorist attacks, including the Bologna bombing, in order to discredit the left. (And yes, I don't think the left needed any help with this.)

I think the timing of this is suspect enough that it's worth reviewing the history, for "calibration" purposes if nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePythonicCow View Post
                            So ... is someone reminding Sweden of their duty with regard to Mr. Assange?

Or was Sweden threatening to step out of line with regard to the War on Terror?

Or what?
                            Before assuming the CIA is somehow involved, I think it might be worth having a look at Swedish immigration/refugee policies over the last couple of decades.

The open minded Swedish folks I know have expressed concern that their nation's efforts to be a good global citizen have risked opening themselves up to increased risk of local homegrown crime and terrorism.

Comment

For kids reading this thread, there is an excellent article about Occam's Razor in the Wikipedia. If one googles Occam's Razor, the file on the top of the list is the Wikipedia article on Occam's Razor.

I like the Occam's Razor from a pragmatic point-of-view: I can't remember anything complex, so I prefer the most economical explanation available. The most economical explanation is easiest explanation to remember. Simpler is better.

In learning Spanish, the native English-speaker has trouble to remember whether to use ser or to use estar. And without reading pages of grammar crap that would soon be forgotten, everything is ser except for the use of estar with location (on Earth) or estar with the gerund. And forget everything else the books tell you about the grammar of when to use ser and when to use estar. When in doubt, ser always wins. Use ser.

Simpler is better, always!

Stalin liberated Eastern-Europe. In WWII, he accomplished the impossible task..... The rest of the story about Stalin is "just statistics" or "a footnote"..... What else is there to know about Stalin and Stalinism, and why? ....Who cares?
                              Last edited by Starving Steve; December 12, 2010, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X