Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ex-Pat Thread

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
    If you're asking me, the answer is both. I'm self-employed; I work when I want to, and only on projects I'm interested in.

BTW, here's a photo of the view from my living room:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4679[/ATTACH]
    Gorgeous Sharky. Drops my blood pressure just looking at the picture!

Comment

Stunning, Sharky. I'm happy for you. May I ask what instrument is on your table?

Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Comment

Originally posted by shiny! View Post
        Stunning, Sharky. I'm happy for you. May I ask what instrument is on your table?
        Good eye! That's a ukulele. My wife plays and is in a small group with some friends -- very popular here.

Funny how people often pick up on stuff like that....

I didn't intend to turn this into a photo thread, but since the first one was well-received, here are a few more, taken from out on the deck.

tasman-bay-hualashore-the-cut-800x530.jpg

bay-rainbow.jpg

new-years-sunset-800x528.jpg

On the other side of Tasman Bay, about an hour's drive from here, is Abel Tasman National Park -- a wonderful area for photography.

Comment

Tis good pictures!

Comment

No son, tis a nice life!

I so want to be there after looking at those.... *sigh*

Comment

Okay, so I looked up Tasman Bay and lo and behold, looks like you got some NICE farmland around there. Looks like vineyards or orchards or the like on some of it.

Any idea what all they are growing and what that land is selling for nowadays? Farmland catches my eye like a good lookin' woman!

Comment

Originally posted by doom&gloom View Post
                Okay, so I looked up Tasman Bay and lo and behold, looks like you got some NICE farmland around there. Looks like vineyards or orchards or the like on some of it.

Any idea what all they are growing and what that land is selling for nowadays? Farmland catches my eye like a good lookin' woman!
                They grow a little bit of everything, I think: pipfruit (apples and pears), beer hops, grapes, berries, nuts and most types of fruit trees are popular, but they're not the only crops by any stretch. Cows and sheep are also common, along with venison deer, pigs, chickens and so on.

Prices vary quite a bit depending on what you're after. For details, have a look on www.nzfarms.co.nz. The region I live in is "Nelson & Bays." Vineyards are also available in eastern Marlborough and on the east coast of the North Island. Kiwifruit is more popular on the North Island than the South. Nelson is a good farming area in part because it gets so much sun. It also has its own port, which makes export/import easier compared to some regions.

When looking at listings, it helps to know some NZ lingo/terms and a few other things:

vendor = seller
                block or section = lot
                leasehold vs. freehold = some lands are owned by the crown (the NZ govt), and can only be leased
                lifestyle block = house on a good-sized piece of land, typically rural or at least somewhat so
                GST = Goods and Services Tax (15%); payable if the property will be used commercially or only as an investment (as opposed to as a residence)
                1 hectare (ha) = 2.5 acres
                current exchange rate NZ$1.00 = US$0.85 or so

Property larger than 4 ha, or that's right on the coast, or right next to a national park, generally requires you to be a permanent resident or citizen in order to buy it. Most other types of properties can be owned regardless of your residency or citizenship status.

Comment

Sharky!

Great stuff on NZ. You've given me another country to fantasize about. (Uruguay was already on the list.) Any recommended moving-to/living-in NZ books? Do you get a commission on successful immigrations?

I've already tried the points indicator and we'd need a job offer. (I tried a similar points page for Canada several years ago and they would've let us in just with our degrees and bank balance!)

But we're not ready to retire yet, anyway. So, where's the tech work? Software R&D (me), technical marketing or product management (wife), etc?

Not that I could ever convince my wife. Well maybe the pictures of your views could. I only recently got her to consider moving across the US. (As soon as she conceded the possibility, I booked a vacation in Seattle, which is officially under consideration.) But NZ is a nice fantasy.

My fantasy list, for inconsistent reasons: Seattle, Belgium, other Europe, Hawaii, Uruguay, NZ, Canada.
                  Last edited by LazyBoy; April 16, 2013, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LazyBoy View Post
                    Great stuff on NZ. You've given me another country to fantasize about. (Uruguay was already on the list.) Any recommended moving-to/living-in NZ books?
                    No, sorry. In fact, when I noticed that problem, I actually decided to write one of my own. Might be done in 6 or 9 months.

So, where's the tech work? Software R&D (me), technical marketing or product management (wife), etc?
                    All of the above. Have a look on www.seek.co.nz for job listings. Also check out the current list of in-demand job titles from NZ Immigration. Tech jobs are generally more available in the big cities, though. I do some telecommuting, but it's challenging at times.

Not that I could ever convince my wife.
                    A vacation here is the best way to sell anyone. It's an easy place to fall in love with, once you see it for yourself.

Comment

Working...
                    X