Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

‘Correlation’ rather than ‘contagion’

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: ‘Correlation’ rather than ‘contagion’

    Originally posted by Finster
    Oy, but this is what the FDI attempts to address. ;)

    When I talk about the market value of the dollar, usually I mean in the broadest sense. Not merely its value in terms of other currencies, nor in terms of the narrow measure of consumer goods and services, but what it is worth in global markets.

    Looked at this way, the USD gained an incredible 2.04% in just this past week. Even more amazing was the JPY, which gained against the USD. In a sense, this was a currency rally in which cash as an asset class gained.

    Just a guess, but from all appearances the prime mover was the yen, with the USD more or less being dragged along for the ride ...
    I'll see that oy and raised you another by forecasting your response via a pre-answer with that chart. ;)

    We're very much tracking as you know, and the FDI is much superior to the broad dollar index due to its inclusion of many more world wide factors... and the regular dollar index is not even a mere shadow of the awesome FDI and it's cacophonous cojones.
    Last edited by bart; 03-03-07, 09:38 PM.
    http://www.NowAndTheFuture.com

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: ‘Correlation’ rather than ‘contagion’

      Originally posted by bart
      I'll see that oy and raised you another by forecasting your response via a pre-answer with that chart. ;)
      Baiting ol' Fin, huh? You must be getting to know me too well...

      [QUOTE=bart]We're very much tracking as you know, and the FDI is much superior to the broad dollar index due to its inclusion of many more world wide factors... and the regular dollar index is not even a mere shadow of the awesome FDI and it's cacophonous cojones.

      Well I'll take the bait again and post the latest FDI chart. What prompts this, however, is the black line on yonder bart chart, reproduced once more for comparison:





      The net worth line and the FDI line are approximate inverses. This particularly considering that your chart is a linear plot (bad bart:mad: ...thus compresses detail in the lower range) and mine is log. The correspondence is most noteworthy in the the obvious bump and trough circa 2000. The match should be even better if you had a similar chart showing the same thing on a worldwide rather than US basis ... i.e. global per capita net worth as denominated in USD.
      Finster
      ...

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: ‘Correlation’ rather than ‘contagion’

        Originally posted by Finster
        Baiting ol' Fin, huh? You must be getting to know me too well...
        Moi??


        Originally posted by Finster
        The net worth line and the FDI line are approximate inverses. This particularly considering that your chart is a linear plot (bad bart:mad: ...thus compresses detail in the lower range) and mine is log. The correspondence is most noteworthy in the the obvious bump and trough circa 2000. The match should be even better if you had a similar chart showing the same thing on a worldwide rather than US basis ... i.e. global per capita net worth as denominated in USD.
        That's quite the interesting comparison and observation on those two charts. Cool!
        Stay tuned as I get more familiar with sites like the IMF who have decent global data.

        I see someone else gave you some decent comeuppance on your log(gerhead) charts so I'll leave it mostly in other capable hands... ;)
        http://www.NowAndTheFuture.com

        Comment

        Working...
        X