Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who or what goes on the front of a 1,000,000 Bonar note?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who or what goes on the front of a 1,000,000 Bonar note?

Originally posted by metalman View Post
    that's good. too good. ugh. reminds me of the old mex peso notes.
    How old?, This old?

or this old?

sigpic
    Attention: Electronics Engineer Learning Economics.

Comment

We must have Sir Alan Greenspan on the 1,000,000 bonar note. His image should be partially concealed to symbolize his deception and cunning.

Last edited by Verrocchio; 04-14-08, 12:31 AM.

Comment

What about a Blackhawk Helicopter?

Comment

Originally posted by ocelotl View Post

EJ writes in:
          Among my collection of bills from the time I lived in Guadalajara my favorite is a blue 50 peso note like the one you posted.

Ed.

Comment

Two more, just for grins.

http://www.NowAndTheFuture.com

Comment

Originally posted by FRED View Post
              EJ writes in:
              Among my collection of bills from the time I lived in Guadalajara my favorite is a blue 50 peso note like the one you posted.

So you surely know that because of its color it, along with its successor (1971-1982, Benito Juárez in front) were called "ojo de gringa" (gringa's eye). I also have some samples left away by my great grandmother, (mother side) along with a couple of the original mexican cents, one from 1939 and one from 1949 from my father side grandmother, and a bunch of 1970's and 1980's clad coinage. Too bad it all doesn't have more than sentimental value... Still I do like the impressiveness of the first Coyolxauqui (50 pesos, 1982-4) I got, even when it doesn't compare with any of the bunch of replicas of the coin on my signature that I've accumulated.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ocelotl View Post
                So you surely know that because of its color it, along with its successor (1971-1982, Benito Juárez in front) were called "ojo de gringa" (gringa's eye). I also have some samples left away by my great grandmother, (mother side) along with a couple of the original mexican cents, one from 1939 and one from 1949 from my father side grandmother, and a bunch of 1970's and 1980's clad coinage. Too bad it all doesn't have more than sentimental value... Still I do like the impressiveness of the first Coyolxauqui (50 pesos, 1982-4) I got, even when it doesn't compare with any of the bunch of replicas of the coin on my signature that I've accumulated.
                Mexico has produced very impressive coinage over the centuries. As I mention in the "Does the US have a 'peso problem'" article, most North Americans do not know that the USA dollar is derived from the Mexican peso, and that for a time China used the Mexican peso as a standard.

I was fortunate to inherit these from my father. Note the prices on the covers. Tells you when he bought them. ROI over the period is rather poor compared to, say, Microsoft stock, but better than a house net of maintenance costs and taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by EJ View Post
                  Mexico has produced very impressive coinage over the centuries. As I mention in the "Does the US have a 'peso problem'" article, most North Americans do not know that the USA dollar is derived from the Mexican peso, and that for a time China used the Mexican peso as a standard.

I was fortunate to inherit these from my father. Note the prices on the covers. Tells you when he bought them. ROI over the period is rather poor compared to, say, Microsoft stock, but better than a house net of maintenance costs and taxes.

ebay sez...

1944 50 peso current bid $1,100

1945 50 peso current bid $1,175

1946 50 peso current bid $1,136

$79 x 3 = $237 in 1973* vs $3,411 in 2008

35 years...

an investment that pays an compound annual rate of 7.92% over 35 years!

don't tell your over-priced financial adviser!!!

* the only year possible to buy these for $79.

Comment

We could use a retro design from an authentic silver certificate, like this.

or like this...

Or a gold certificate like this...

Comment

ebay sez...

35 years...

Top price anyway for the Centenario has to be Mexico Mint Quotation

12,643/10.4919 = USD $1205.02

In Britain is possible to buy from TaxFreeGold.

I've been checking coin dealers in downtown to get the lowest premium possible, will report when I do my next purchase, without the urge of giving away cotton paper over the net to some thief.

* Edition *

A link to the Coyolxauhqui, to put an image to the conversation.
                      Last edited by ocelotl; 04-15-08, 01:47 AM. Reason: See text.
                      sigpic

Comment

ebay sez...

35 years...

Math checked out for me. By my calculations, even if you paid $120 for these in 1974 you still made 6.75% compound annually over 34 years.
                        Ed.

Comment

Originally posted by FRED View Post
                          Math checked out for me. By my calculations, even if you paid $120 for these in 1974 you still made 6.75% compound annually over 34 years.
                          Anyway, if bought in Mexico during 1972 at 273 USD, they would be equivalent to 118.5 25 pesos coins

Those coins, having 16.2 grams of pure silver each, would be 1919.7 grams or 61.72 troy ounces of pure silver. At Kitco sell price of Silver Maple they would be today 1241.8 USD.

4.29% compound over 36 years... :confused:

And that's one of the reasons I'm choosing silver this late into the bull market, in nominal terms still has to break the 1979 top, and we better don't try on real (inflation corrected) terms... If Gold price goes parabolic and silver follows, it may be possible to see 70 - 80 USD per silver troy ounce. But that is still just a possibility.
                          sigpic

Comment

Re: I would put the only 2 people who should NOT be on it

Ron Paul
                            Paul Volcker

Comment

Working...
                            X