No announcement yet.

K-1 Question/The tax burden seems high.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-1 Question/The tax burden seems high.

Ok, setting aside "Please seek tax advise from a professional" for a moment, could someone give me a quick and dirty explanation of the K-1 numbers? The Capital Gains look really high (but not in a good way )

Here's the just of it for our personal 2019 tax year:

We received 108K from Eastham III in distributions

Of that, 56K is designated "return of capital"

Our K-1 indicates a Capital Gain("line # 10, "net section Capital Gain") of 93K

Plugging the number into TurboTax, we we get approx 90K of Taxable Income

That's not nice. Is this basically right?

Seems like quite a tax liability. Are we not able to net the "return of Capital" against the gain?

Comments?

Re: K-1 Question/The tax burden seems high.

a "return" is not a "gain." say you give me $100 to buy something [as your agent, let's leave out my fee]. i sell it for $150, which i give to you. then $100 is a return of capital, a return of what you gave me at the start. $50 is a capital gain, i.e. it is income. you have the benefit that long-term capital gains [i assume it's long term] are taxed at a lower rate than ordinary income.

if you got 90k of taxable income, celebrate. [some of that might be recapture of depreciation deductions in prior years, but you got the benefit of that depreciation lowering your taxable income in those earlier years]

Comment

Thanks so much for the insight JK. Perhaps it is recapture.

If anyone from Eastham monitors this thread, I wonder if you might be willing to chime in. (I double plus recognize your thought do not constitute tax or investment advice).

Anyone else have some thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by touhy View Post
        Ok, setting aside "Please seek tax advise from a professional" for a moment, could someone give me a quick and dirty explanation of the K-1 numbers? The Capital Gains look really high (but not in a good way )

Here's the just of it for our personal 2019 tax year:

We received 108K from Eastham III in distributions

Of that, 56K is designated "return of capital"

Our K-1 indicates a Capital Gain("line # 10, "net section Capital Gain") of 93K

Plugging the number into TurboTax, we we get approx 90K of Taxable Income

That's not nice. Is this basically right?

Seems like quite a tax liability. Are we not able to net the "return of Capital" against the gain?

Comments?

Mostly I agree with jk. I would reach out to Eastham directly for help in reconciling your calculation, which would suggest $52k in capital gain ($108k minus $56k), with the K-1, which indicates a $93k capital gain. I'm guessing that the K-1 is correct and jk's interpretation is correct, but it couldn't hurt to ask Eastham for an explanation.

Comment

Working...
        X