Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recessions, depressions, panics and other redefinitions - Eric Janszen

Originally posted by Techdread View Post
    I did not realise ETFS moved the price of commodities i thought they just followed the index price of the commoditity in question:confused:
    I'm more scared that the US government might pull the plug on AIG:mad:

And if things get real bad which they will, whats to stop them from banning the ownership of Gold?
    Nothing stops them.

But things will be different this time. In one book I read, the people lined up willingly to sell their Gold to the government last time around (except for some of the rich that moved their Gold out of the country in the days before the confiscation)

I doubt it will happen that way again.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
      Nothing stops them.

But things will be different this time. In one book I read, the people lined up willingly to sell their Gold to the government last time around (except for some of the rich that moved their Gold out of the country in the days before the confiscation)

I doubt it will happen that way again.
      80% sales tax will do the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by metalman View Post
        80% sales tax will do the trick.
        Gray and black public or private markets can get quite clever.
        http://www.NowAndTheFuture.com

Comment

Originally posted by bart View Post
          Gray and black public or private markets can get quite clever.
          however, such a law may turn a class of formerly tax law abiding citizens into tax law breakers simply to protect themselves from their gov't.

Comment

however, such a law may turn a class of formerly tax law abiding citizens into tax law breakers simply to protect themselves from their gov't.
            Very true, but I expect more of it nonetheless.
            http://www.NowAndTheFuture.com

Comment

millions of people hurting no-one, going about their own business, a business that was legal for eons, for millennia, since time immemorial, instantly turned into criminals.

THAT hasn't happened before. NEVER. Perish the thought.

Who could I be thinking of.. I mean, who could it possibly be ... maybe ... SATAN ???? (hahahaha, just kidding)

I mean marijuana users

Comment

From my personal experience, MJ is not a harmless drug.

There are some who use it regularly and are not affected, but there are also some who use it and become zombies.

I've now met 3 cases of the latter: 1 person who I was told anecdotally was once a low rung, but productive member of society (plumber's assistant) but lost interest in work and most else after several year's of heavy MJ use and is now apparently living as a homeless in the wilds of Santa Cruz.

Another 2 instances I personally witnessed:

1) a bright, young male who loved karate and Russian philosophers. Smoked up a storm, and now has noticeable pauses between action/reaction. Doesn't involve himself with either of previous hobbies, has drifted into part time work.

2) a not so bright, but clean cut young male. After smoking moderately heavily, became less and less able to maintain himself and is now drifting aimlessly near relatives in Utah.

Ironically the hobo and the drifter were living with the high functioning MJ user.

While of course alcohol has much the same variability in effects - I personally have never subscribed to the argument that an equal evil should necessarily be accepted as one which is already entrenched.

Comment

even if MJ the chemical did 10 times the damage that it does, that would still be a pittance relative to the damage the laws do.

Alcohol is a far more damaging drug.

There's a reason that so many more places at more times have tried to outlaw alcohol than MJ, including the US.

Originally posted by c1ue View Post
                  Lots of the highest achievers in the US use and have used it, many regularly, so it must be great for helping high achievers (not a pun) get their results as well ; )

Comment

i think "crisis" will be a term that will stick around. A "crisis" allows for political actions to take place. Just look at all the crazy legislation that has been passed in this "crisis." Many downturns in the future will be called a "crisis." Depression is depressing. Recession has lost any meaning. But "crisis" is like the 'snow day' of bad economies.

Comment

Periods of "negative growth" seems to be the new term. We are in a "crisis of negative growth."

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...earch&aq=f&oq=

Comment

There are some who use it regularly and are not affected, but there are also some who use it and become zombies.

I've now met 3 cases of the latter: 1 person who I was told anecdotally was once a low rung, but productive member of society (plumber's assistant) but lost interest in work and most else after several year's of heavy MJ use and is now apparently living as a homeless in the wilds of Santa Cruz.

1) a bright, young male who loved karate and Russian philosophers. Smoked up a storm, and now has noticeable pauses between action/reaction. Doesn't involve himself with either of previous hobbies, has drifted into part time work.

2) a not so bright, but clean cut young male. After smoking moderately heavily, became less and less able to maintain himself and is now drifting aimlessly near relatives in Utah.

Ironically the hobo and the drifter were living with the high functioning MJ user.

While of course alcohol has much the same variability in effects - I personally have never subscribed to the argument that an equal evil should necessarily be accepted as one which is already entrenched.
                        Drugs are bad, drugs are good, doesn't matter.

Here's something that does: Bill of rights, Article X- The powers not delegated to the United States by the constitution nor probited by it to the states are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

conclusion: A national war on drugs is completely unconstitutional.

And since this is an economics forum I must mention a complete waste of our tax dollars.

Comment

What does smoking MJ get you?

8 Gold medals in the olympic games ain't bad.

http://media.cnbc.com/i/CNBC/Section...elps_watch.jpg
                          [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

The high functioning case I refer to is manic depressive - and uses the MJ to offset manic phases.

Others I've known who use drugs are similarly psychologically unusual.

But corner cases of success don't necessarily justify allowing zombification.

Or are all MJ users supposedly high functioning?

Comment

Working...
                            X