Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Crisis 2011 – Part I: The Other Shoe - Eric Janszen

Originally posted by Jay View Post
    Aliens. It's the only enemy that makes sense in an exponential world. Get ready for the show.
    I remember folks getting up in arms about the movie 300 a few years back...based on the Frank Miller comic book series on the Spartans at Thermopyle...and how it was prepping us for a war against Iran.

I just saw a preview for a moving coming out soon called Battle: Los Angeles:

Maybe it isn't a war with Iran......maybe it IS aliens......I'm looking forward to this one....

Ash, were you a "Hollywood Marine" in Southern California? And did you catch the 0311 reference?

Comment

Originally posted by lakedaemonian View Post
      I just saw a preview for a moving coming out soon called Battle: Los Angeles:
      Crap - that's one of the ways that they (the b*st*rds running the show here on Earth) prepare us for these things (the false flag events justifying a new major war), with movies like this.

And did you catch the 0311 reference?
      Dang - that's bold of them. Though I suppose that is just the movie release date, not the actual event date.

Thanks for the link to this trailer, lakedaemonian.
      Most folks are good; a few aren't.

Comment

I'm in the "less than likely" camp,
        I agree -- a major international World War III nuclear war is less than likely.
        Most folks are good; a few aren't.

Comment

Much less bother is to use a biological....

Comment

Originally posted by ThePythonicCow View Post
            Crap - that's one of the ways that they (the b*st*rds running the show here on Earth) prepare us for these things (the false flag events justifying a new major war), with movies like this.

Dang - that's bold of them. Though I suppose that is just the movie release date, not the actual event date.

Thanks for the link to this trailer, lakedaemonian.
            0311 is the designator for Marine Infantryman, coinciding with Southern California based "Hollywood Marine" infantry depicted in the movie.

I think our member Ash is a Marine.

I watch very little TV anymore, nor "news". But enjoy quite a few movies. I'm looking forward to this one for some pure military/action/scifi escapism.

I didn't think 300 was an attempt to get us to support an invasion of Iran, nor do I think this movie is to prepare us to accept our new alien overlords.

But I do think with each passing day that our multiple overlapping crisis are not decisively dealt with the risk of leadership having delayed the pain SO long a massive convenient excuse for action may not only become a more appealing option, maybe it might actually be sought.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePythonicCow View Post
              I agree -- a major international World War III nuclear war is less than likely.
              Do not discount entirely the possibility of a limited nuclear exchange.

People need to adjust their US/Soviet Union Cold War MAD preconceptions.

Any conflict outside the aforementioned but updated US/Russia conflict scenario could see, and quite possibly would see, a far more limited exchange that would not be The Day After or Threads.

Comment

Countries of whichever the losing side is in a war lose because their generals are fighting the last war rather than the current one. Wars are fought for food and natural resources*. In a world of dwindling resources, conventional warfare is expensive and wasteful. It wastes food and resources. Nuclear war contaminates land and resources.

Vast armies like we used in past wars are simply too expensive to maintain and deploy. There are "cleaner" and more efficient ways to fight now. A targeted computer virus can shut down a nuclear program. In this electronic age, an EMP can disable a country without contaminating the land or draining natural resources.

WWIII is being fought right now as a Currency War; the last currency standing wins. It's also a Cyber War: Russia vs. US, China vs. US, Israel/US vs. Iran... It will most likely involve EMPs before it's over. The countries that adapt, adopt, and expand their use of these strategies will run circles around countries that are fighting the last war.

* With the exception of Muslim wars. Muslims fight for religious conversion, or because they're over-caffeinated, hate their neighbors, their mothers, or are just bored.

Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Coles
                  The trigger will be sea levels rising much faster than anyone has predicted.
                  You might want to look into 'Climate Change' - sea levels are not only rising well below IPCC projections, they are in fact decelerating.

Comment

Nothing? Is that it, oil price-rise = money printing?

Dreadfully shallow analysis, this.

Comment

Originally posted by Munger View Post
                      EJ,

You seem to acknowledge the run up in oil prices is at least partially due to the finite oil supply. You don't explicitly attribute it to the rising demand for oil in China and India, but I assume you understand this. You seem to go on to attribute it's price-rise solely to an increase in the money supply. You may be exaggerating for effect, but if not I fail to see the support for this hypothesis. If you have the data correlating as much, I would like to see it.

From my reading, the assertion that the price fluctuation are due to the money supply does not seem well supported, particularly as the rise in commodities seems to be easily explained by supply and demand. See, e.g., Causes and Consequences of the Oil Shock.

Do you attribute the 2007 run-up to an increase in the money supply? The subsequent 60% drop due to a decrease in the money supply? Or are you making the argument that the fluctuations in the money supply affect/reflect supply and demand?
                      If I recall correctly (I am no metalman, alas), EJ told us somewhere in 2009 that he believed that the first Peak Oil shock drove oil prices to 100 US$/barrel and speculation did the rest of the rise.

Comment

Originally posted by Munger View Post
                        Nothing? Is that it, oil price-rise = money printing?

Dreadfully shallow analysis, this.
                        For my own part, I have to own up to sometimes dropping in the odd comment of poor consequence, just to stir the pot where in total honesty, I am unable to provide a better analysis. But, here, with the very greatest of respects Munger; you leave yourself wide open to a request, a serious request I might add, for a better analysis from you.........

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Coles View Post
                          For my own part, I have to own up to sometimes dropping in the odd comment of poor consequence, just to stir the pot where in total honesty, I am unable to provide a better analysis. But, here, with the very greatest of respects Munger; you leave yourself wide open to a request, a serious request I might add, for a better analysis from you.........
                          My analysis is rather easy to explain.

Oil prices do not seem to have risen and fallen in sync with M1, M2, or M3 at all over the past 30 years. For example, witness the dramatic rise in the late 70s, the subsequent fall, the dramatic rise in the mid 2000s, the dramatic fall in 2008-09, etc.

To claim that the latest rise is due to solely (or mainly) to money printing would seem to require a little proof. Stating that the rise of the last year is due to money-printing seems to be a case of fitting a very recent observation to a hypothesis and ignoring adverse data. That is all.

Comment

Working...
                          X