Why Scott Brown won - Eric Janszen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why Scott Brown won - Martha has NO Mass Appeal

Here was an article by John Walsh - Why I Voted for the Republican in Massachusetts

Interesting observation there

I began to understand that something was afoot in this campaign when I noticed many folks out in the traffic circles and on street corners in Central Massachusetts, in and about Worcester, holding signs for Brown, even in the snow and sleet. There was no such enthusiasm for Coakley – not a single sign holder did I see. Now let me explain the demographics a bit. Central Mass is blue collar country, suffering deeply from the unemployment of the current recession. It is not clueless about bailouts for the banksters but no job creation for the hoy polloi the policy of Bush/Obama. And it was Central Mass that delivered a very big margin for Republican Brown who posed as a populist and captured their vote.

I vote not in central Massachusetts but in overwhelmingly and conventionally liberal Cambridge, but even there little enthusiasm for Democrat Coakley was evident. She had only taken a position against the Obama wars in Afghanistan and Pakistan when forced to do so by a primary opponent. There were no signs for Coakley at my polling place very close to Harvard Square. The peace constituency of Cambridge, in the words of the venerable “Mumbles” Menino, was voting with its butt which remained quite inert.

After voting Republican with some satisfaction at having not wasted my protest vote, I told a young student coming out of the polling place with me that I was so angry with the Democrats and Obama that I had voted Republican, remaining a bit unsure whether I should have gone the Libertarian route. He said that he felt the same way but voted Democrat anyway. He confessed that he was now having voter’s remorse.

Comment

I don't know if it's already been mentioned here or not, but Brown did exceptionally well in the same areas that voted for H Clinton in the Dem Primary.

Comment

Originally posted by tombat1913 View Post
        But Massachusetts has a long history of electing less than electrifying candidates to office,
        No way! This guy kicks ass! Just look at him!

Comment

Re: Why Scott Brown won - Eric Janszen

I initiated my party affiliation change today from Republican to None.

(Suddenly I don't know what I believe in anymore?!?):eek:
          "...the western financial system has already failed. The failure has just not yet been realized, while the system remains confident that it is still alive." Jesse

Comment

Originally posted by rjwjr View Post

Welcome to the party.

Comment

It's easy. Leave the two parties behind. You already know enough to realize they are both full of crap and aren't out for your best interest. Believe in the truth. Believe in being sceptical of anything from the mainstream media. Believe in fostering an undercurrent of people who don't want to be cowed. Then just make choices that feel right.

Comment

Interesting. I will be registering in the coming weeks as a Republican for the first time specifically to vote in the Primaries for RJ Harris, a Constitutionalist Republican (and perhaps a bit of a drama queen, but beggars for freedom can't be choosers, I guess). I do, however, plan to remove myself from their roster as soon as is practicable after the general election. From time to time there will be an occasional super-underdog freedom candidate and most of the time they will appear in the Republican party. Just stay tuned and be on the look out for those that appear most to be the real deal.

Comment

Jtabeb, my apologies, I was misinformed about Brown's position on a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage. He opposes an amendment. However, according to the Washington Post, he supports the Defense of Marriage Act:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...010803591.html

It's kind of pathetic to support the guy because he's good-looking when he is opposed to equal treatment for you. I repeat that it is inaccurate to say that someone who supports discrimination against gay and lesbian people is a "social liberal".

Comment

Originally posted by EJ View Post
                    He is by any other name a Libertarian but without the baggage that the Libertarian Party has collected over the years.
                    The War on Drugs baggage or the National defense baggage?

The latter being one of the truly crucial factors to the whole small government thing. That's why social conservatives and most Republicans hated Ron Paul in 2008, and only pretend to like him now. This isn't small government, just because the Republicans passed a pass tax cut:
                    According to a Congressional Budget Office (CBO) report published in October 2007, the U.S. wars in Iraq and Afghanistan could cost taxpayers a total of $2.4 trillion dollars by 2017 when counting the huge interest costs because combat is being financed with borrowed money. The CBO estimated that of the $2.4 trillion long-term price tag for the war, about $1.9 trillion of that would be spent on Iraq
                    3.1 National Defense

We support the maintenance of a sufficient military to defend the United States against aggression. The United States should both abandon its attempts to act as policeman for the world and avoid entangling alliances. We oppose any form of compulsory national service.
                    That's not Scott Brown. He's neither a small l or big L libertarian. Scott Brown appears to be a classic New England Republican. The social conservative war party types call them RHINOs. Republican In Name Only. Susan Collins etc. Brown will vote the way he has to in order to continue his life as a career politician.

Lesson for Congress

The operative word for Brown is “independent.” Voters believe that both parties have been for sale for more than 30 years. Regardless of party, independence expressed as a clear and simple practical set of solutions that directly confront the greatest anxieties of voters is the key to winning in the 2010 Congressional elections.

Members of Congress with a strong, ideological party identity, and a voting record that can be clearly traced to campaign contributors through sites such as OpenSecrets.com, who understand what this election means may now commence shitting bricks.
                    You give way too much credit to the American people here. Do you ever go out and pretend not to be a genius (I mean that seriously) and just talk to regular people about politics? There's not a lot of people out there, even really smart and successful people that don't just hear and regurgitate the party line nonsense.

Arrogant? Yes. I'm no genius, nor very successful, but I do know politics and in this country it's amazing to watch people so easily mesmerized by charismatic politicians.

Americans at large are still ignoring those great resources on the internet and are getting their information on the internet from blogs and websites that just regurgitate the same party line bullshit that you can find on the bullhorn screen every day.

The 2010 election is all about the Republicans in Congress and the pundits rediscovering the special brand of Republican economic conservatism with the last straw for Republican voters being the passing and backing the big bailout in 2008. The conservative voters, the tea partiers, they want their cake and to eat it too. Again, I refer to the war spending.

In Arizona for example we've got the likes of the ultimate career Washington politician insider and war party member, McCain (backed the first bailout, in fact postponed his campaign in order to fly to Washington to bust in on the negotiations), desperately calling on his very charismatic ex-running mate,Palin (backed the first bailout), for public support in a race against a former longtime member of Congress, Hayworth, that wants back in as a career politician presumably to resume his connections to people like Jack Abramoff. They're all accusing each other of being less conservative than the next. What is their definition of conservative? To oppose the Democrat party. Got your pompoms?
                    Last edited by Slimprofits; March 23, 2010, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by babbittd View Post
                      Arrogant? Yes. I'm no genius, nor very successful, but I do know politics and in this country it's amazing to watch people so easily mesmerized by charismatic politicians.
                      Heck, they don't even have to be charismatic.

I still have 3 fading Bush bumper stickers on my car.
                      Most folks are good; a few aren't.

Comment

Working...
                      X