• Re: Update on BP's top kill efforts, now largest spill in US History

Quote Originally Posted by flintlock View Post
    I'm beginning to doubt BP will ever get another chance to drill a well in waters this deep. So we may never know what changing any "drilling procedures" would accomplish. Sounds like maybe the "relief well by August" is being very optimistic. What happens if that does not work? How long will this thing gush? Years? Decades?
    I would be happy to take the other side of that bet. I don't have any difficulty imagining there will be more deepwater rigs drilling for oil in the Gulf of Mexico five years from now than there were just before the Deepwater Horizon ignited. As the cheap supply of oil depletes it has become a difficult and dangerous job to find more of the stuff. The citizens of the USA may finally be starting to understand that...some day maybe their politicians will catch up with them.

The current ban on drilling in the Gulf of Mexico makes some sense because there are simply not enough resources in the industry and the government agencies to deal with a second simultaneous serious offshore incident at the moment. But a complete and permanent ban on drilling in the basin that supplies 10% of USA daily consumption of both crude oil and natural gas would be another matter entirely. I do not see that happening.

As for how long it keeps flowing, the relief well is the best shot and will be tried more than once if necessary. Also, the collapsed marine riser is attached to a high pressure fitting on the top of the wellhead/BOP stack, so removing the riser [either cutting it off, or using the remote underwater robot vehicles to unbolt the flange] and positioning a second BOP or new riser manifold connection is still an option. The reason this hasn't yet been attempted is because the current thinking is the riser is acting as a choke and limiting the flow to a large degree, and therefore removing it will likely increase the flow measurably...which means if they are subsequently unable to position the BOP or new marine riser they will have a bigger problem on their hands. As I said...difficult and dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by flintlock View Post
    More like Chernobyl if this continues. But I really don't see what Obama has to do with it. I doubt any human effort could contain a spill of this magnitude. And I have not heard any evidence that his administration was regulating drilling any differently than previous ones.
    Chernobyl didn't stop the world from continuing to build nuclear reactors. The Macondo blowout won't stop the world, including BP, from drilling deepwater offshore wells.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Update on BP's top kill efforts, now largest spill in US History started by jtabeb View original post
  • EJ Interview: We Are Witness The Death of the Dollar

• Recent Forum Posts

gwynedd1

Re: Can BRICS Fly?

I think this persecutive has a flaw. If you look at how corrupt and kleptocratic they are then its more convincing. The problem is the US is becoming more like them. I am told by my sources from...

gwynedd1 Today, 02:40 PM Go to last post
    lektrode

Re: Lek's Neck of the Woods

now just hang on a dang second - if this is all about "miss-allocation of resources" - then where does the entire supply chain on most consumer discretionaries belong ? - not to mention stuff like...

lektrode Today, 01:47 PM Go to last post
    lektrode

Re: While Clinton Offers a Resume, Warren Offers a Plan

3rd.
    VERY NICELY DONE, ms Shiny!

with an honorable mention to:

and i remain
    a 'small-r' type, formerly/proudly of The Live Free or Die State

lektrode Today, 01:01 PM Go to last post
    shiny!

Re: While Clinton Offers a Resume, Warren Offers a Plan

Thank you, gentlemen. That means a lot to me.

shiny! Today, 12:50 PM Go to last post
    lektrode

Re: New Rules for News section

so... there must be 'something' to/behind what he puts up on ZH, eh Slim?
    and just like touchring and T&B allude to...
    and i've mentioned a number of times: where theres smoke, theres usually a FIRE

lektrode Today, 12:49 PM Go to last post
    gwynedd1

Re: Six Rules For Dining Out

There is only one way to know what to order. Look outside. I sort of placed an order for some black berries but most of them were not ripe and I only had a snack. But then what do I find but a...

gwynedd1 Today, 12:37 PM Go to last post
    shiny!

I just went over to look. Of the fifteen stories on the front page, nine had links to the source. Three had none. Two had links for a portion of the story or the source was evident on the graphs. One...

shiny! Today, 11:42 AM Go to last post
    thriftyandboringinohio

You are correct, Fox.
    But ZH sometimes gives a nod of acknowledgement to the original source so you can find it.
    Other times the topic and ideas can be found with a brief search.
    That's how I...

thriftyandboringinohio Today, 11:37 AM Go to last post
Opinions expressed herein are those of the posters, not those of iTulip, Inc., its owners, or management. All material posted on this board becomes the intellectual property of the poster and iTulip, Inc., and may not be reposted in full on another website without the express written permission of iTulip, Inc. By exception, the original registered iTulip member who authored a post may repost his or her own material on other sites. Permission is hereby granted to repost brief excerpts of material from this forum on other websites provided that attribution and a link to the source is included with the reposted material.

Nothing on this website is intended or should be construed as investment advice. It is intended to be used for informational and entertainment purposes only. We reserve the right to make changes, including change in price, content, description, terms, etc. at any time without notice. By using this board you agree that you understand the risks of trading, and are solely responsible for your own investment and trading decisions. Read full legal disclaimer.

Journalists are not permitted to contact iTulip members through this forum's email and personal messaging services without written permission from iTulip, Inc. Requests for permission may be made via Contact Us.

Objectionable posts may be reported to the board administrators via Contact Us.