Stiglitz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stiglitz

http://http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=ahnPchOxZMh8&refer=home

The Obama administration’s plan to fix the U.S. banking system is destined to fail because the programs have been designed to help Wall Street rather than create a viable financial system, Nobel Prize-winning economist Joseph Stiglitz said. “All the ingredients they have so far are weak, and there are several missing ingredients,” Stiglitz said in an interview. The people who designed the plans are “either in the pocket of the banks or they’re incompetent.”
    My bet is that Timmy, Hanky and Bernanke are not idiots ;)

He continues:

Stiglitz said there are conflicts of interest at the White House because some of Obama’s advisers have close ties to Wall Street.
    [...]
    The return to taxpayers from the TARP is as low as 25 cents on the dollar, he said. “The bank restructuring has been an absolute mess.”
    Rather than continually buying small stakes in banks, weaker banks should be put through a receivership where the shareholders of the banks are wiped out and the bondholders become the shareholders, using taxpayer money to keep the institutions functioning, he said.

[...]
    “The statement from Sheila Bair that there’s no risk is absurd,” he said, because losses from the PPIP will be borne by the FDIC, which is funded by member banks.
    “We’re going to be asking all the banks, including presumably some healthy banks, to pay for the losses of the bad banks,” Stiglitz said. “It’s a real redistribution and a tax on all American savers.”
    Stiglitz was also concerned about the links between White House advisers and Wall Street. Hedge fund D.E. Shaw & Co. paid National Economic Council Director Lawrence Summers, a managing director of the firm, more than $5 million in salary and other compensation in the 16 months before he joined the administration. Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner was president of the New York Federal Reserve Bank.
    ‘Revolving Door’
    “America has had a revolving door. People go from Wall Street to Treasury and back to Wall Street,” he said. “Even if there is no quid pro quo, that is not the issue. The issue is the mindset.”

[...]

The $75 billion mortgage relief program, meanwhile, doesn’t do enough to help Americans who can’t afford to make their monthly payments, he said. It doesn’t reduce principal, doesn’t make changes in bankruptcy law that would help people work out debts, and doesn’t change the incentive to simply stop making payments once a mortgage is greater than the value of a house.

[...]
    “This is a strategy trying to recreate that bubble,” he said. “That’s not likely to provide a long run solution. It’s a solution that says let’s kick the can down the road a little bit.”
    When a Nobel Prize laureate makes this kind of public statements .... things are quite clear.

I wonder why CNN and other big networks are not picking up the story.:rolleyes:

Re: Stiglitz

Originally posted by $#* View Post
    http://http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=ahnPchOxZMh8&refer=home

My bet is that Timmy, Hanky and Bernanke are not idiots ;)

He continues:

When a Nobel Prize laureate makes this kind of public statements .... things are quite clear.

I wonder why CNN and other big networks are not picking up the story.:rolleyes:

Jeffery Sachs was intereviewed on Canadian television yesterday and pretty well levelled the same charges. Given how prominent some of these guys are, I am quite surprised at the rather direct and unmistakable language they are now using. It took them a while but they seem to have figured out the program...;)

Comment

Direct link that works

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...Mh8&refer=home

Comment

Standard iTulip to MSM delay period: Two years.

See The Fed: Dishonest or Incompetent?
        Ed.

Comment

Good point Fred.

And the fraud fest continues... The Obama administration proves to be extremely consistent

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123992516941227309.html

Steven Rattner, the leader of the Obama administration's auto task force, was one of the executives involved with payments under scrutiny in a probe of an alleged kickback scheme at New York state's pension fund, according to a person familiar with the matter.
          A Securities and Exchange Commission complaint says a "senior executive" of Mr. Rattner's investment firm met in 2004 with a politically connected consultant about a finder's fee. Later, the complaint says, the firm received an investment from the state pension fund and paid $1.1 million in fees.
          The "senior executive," not named in the complaint, is Mr. Rattner, according to the person familiar with the matter. He is co-founder of the investment firm, Quadrangle Group, which he left to join the Treasury Department to oversee the auto task force earlier this year.
          I foresee the next head of Obama task force for financial accounting regulation will be ... Jeff Skilling

Comment

Good point Fred.

And the fraud fest continues... The Obama administration proves to be extremely consistent

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123992516941227309.html

I foresee the next head of Obama task force for financial accounting regulation will be ... Jeff Skilling
            This is why Obama's team is such a disaster: they're scaring money out of the markets.

When I look at where I'd rather invest NOW, if I had to, I choose a place where the rules won't change on me. The result is, Botswana becomes LESS risky than the US (for certain projects)!!!

This is the "risk premium" getting priced into TALF etc etc, and that's what .gov doesn't get: the smart money doesn't trust politicians with their investments, and for very good reason!

Comment

It's hard to dislike a guy that gets himself fired by the World Bank for back-talking. But he's no friend of several prominent iTulipers as he's an IPCC principal and by association, Al Gore sharer of the Nobel Prize. I like Stiglitz. Hell, he went though the Chicago School and never tried to destroy a country economically with Chicago School style capitalism.

Comment

Some more Stiglitz

-- This is Worse than the Great Depression

10 min

Comment

Ya folks deserve some literary and artistic touches to the 'doom and gloom' academic's theme. http://jameshowardkunstler.typepad.com/ has an article that's kind of picturesque. Even has a Dutch artist's picture at the end of the article that's an interesting exclamation mark to the article. The article is "The Coming Siege of Austerity".

Comment

Is it poor video editing or a reporting? Are they in the room together? Pretty eye candy though.

Comment

Originally posted by santafe2 View Post
                      It's hard to dislike a guy that gets himself fired by the World Bank for back-talking. But he's no friend of several prominent iTulipers as he's an IPCC principal and by association, Al Gore sharer of the Nobel Prize. I like Stiglitz. Hell, he went though the Chicago School and never tried to destroy a country economically with Chicago School style capitalism.
                      Janszen and Stiglitz on NPR
                      Ed.

Comment

Working...
                      X