Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trade deficit falls for 7th straight month in Feb.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade deficit falls for 7th straight month in Feb.

I thought I read a posting on iTulip.com that when the trade deficit becomes a surplus, that's a sign of the sudden stop and USD significantly dropping in value. Can someone correct me on that? I can't find the previous posting.

Also, should we have a countdown clock? Kind of like New Years in Times Square when the ball drops. We'll start at 25 ($ Billion).

Trade deficit falls for 7th straight month in Feb.

US trade deficit falls in Feb. to lowest level since 1999, imports drop while exports rebound

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Trade-...-14890480.html

The Commerce Department said Thursday the deficit dropped 28.3 percent to $25.97 billion, the smallest gap since November 1999.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The U.S. trade deficit plunged unexpectedly in February as the recession pushed imports down for a seventh straight month while exports rebounded a bit. Analysts said the smaller trade gap is fresh evidence the economy's downward spiral may be easing.

The Commerce Department said Thursday the deficit dropped 28.3 percent to $25.97 billion, the smallest gap since November 1999.

Economists, who had expected the deficit to widen slightly in February, said the smaller imbalance was one of many recent indicators signaling that a steep plunge in U.S. economic activity may be leveling off.
    Some said the better-than-expected trade performance, along with stronger consumer spending, could lead to a decline in the overall economy of less than 5 percent in the first quarter. That would be an improvement from the 6.3 percent plunge in the gross domestic product recorded in the fourth quarter, the steepest drop since 1982.

"Things are still bad, but less bad than before, which is good in this environment," said Sal Guatieri, senior economist BMO Capital Markets.
    Stronger sales for consumer goods -- including pharmaceutical products, autos, food and beverages -- led the strength in exports, which posted the first increase after six straight declines. But analysts cautioned against reading too much into the gain, which they said likely was a blip given sustained weakness in the global economy.

"The rebound in exports will be temporary because we are still struggling with the fact that the dollar is stronger than it used to be and the world is weaker than it used to be. Both of those factors are going to hurt exports," said David Wyss, chief economist at Standard & Poor's in New York.

"The U.S. recovery will not be export led," said Nigel Gault, chief U.S. economist at IHS Global Insight. "Given the weak state of overseas economies, it is too early to be thinking about a sustained export rebound."

The politically sensitive deficit with China dropped 31 percent to $18.9 billion in February, but remains the largest trade gap with any country. America's deficit with Japan fell to $2.2 billion, the lowest level since December 1984. The deficit with Canada, America's biggest trading partner, dropped to $1.82 billion, the lowest level since December 1998.
    For the first two months of this year, the deficit is running at an annual rate of $373 billion, about half of the $681.1 billion imbalance recorded in 2009, according to the Commerce Department.

Economists expect the trade gap could remain at low levels for the rest of 2009. That's based on forecasts that the recession will not end until late this year and any rebound will be muted, further depressing consumer demand.

For February, imports of goods and services fell 5.1 percent to $152.7 billion, the seventh consecutive monthly drop. A 16.3 percent plunge in imports of crude oil to $10 billion, the smallest monthly total since April 2004, led the overall decline. The average price of a barrel of crude fell to $39.22.

Imports of consumer goods, from autos to toys and games, furniture, clothing and televisions, all dropped sharply in February.

But exports of goods and services posted an unexpected rebound in February, rising 1.6 percent to $126.76 billion. Even with the slight increase, exports are 16.9 percent below year-ago levels as American manufacturers struggle with slumping demand at home and overseas.
    Stronger sales of farm products, manufactured goods and autos in February helped offset a big drop in shipments of commercial aircraft.
    Big exporters such as Boeing Co. and Caterpillar Inc. have been forced to slash jobs because of the weak global economy. More than 75 percent of Boeing's orders last year came from outside North America while 60 percent of Caterpillar's heavy machinery sales are overseas.

President Barack Obama and other leaders of the Group of 20 nations, meeting in London last week, agreed to increase the resources of global lending institutions to help bolster the finances of poorer nations so they can continue to import products.

The G-20 nations also pledged again to refrain from erecting protectionist barriers, a promise they hope will prevent the current global downturn from following the path of the Great Depression, when countries worsened the slump by shutting down global trade.

The pledge was a repeat of a similar commitment the G-20 leaders made after their first summit meeting last November. Since that time, 17 of the countries, including the U.S., have raised trade barriers.

Re: Trade deficit falls for 7th straight month in Feb.

Originally posted by flyer38 View Post
    I thought I read a posting on iTulip.com that when the trade deficit becomes a surplus, that's a sign of the sudden stop and USD significantly dropping in value. Can someone correct me on that? I can't find the previous posting.
    steve keen says it means the usa is on an import strike on account consumers are cutting back faster on purchases of chinese crap fastesr than the foreign lenders/investors are buying usa financial crap. the deficit is dropping because of the tip in the balance between the two. didn't the sudden stop already happen in q4 08?

Comment

No, Q4 2008 was the speed bump before hitting the brick wall.

I guess my question is:

Do we expect the the trade deficit to become a surplus before the USD crash (repatriation, beginning of POOM, whatever you want to call it), or after?

Comment

I never thought that I would be upset to hear that the US trade deficit numbers were heading to zero/positive balance - but I am. If we don't buy all this foreign crap, why should they lend us money anymore?

The last 10 years have all been one humongous vendor financing scheme.

President Hollywood and is going to run up a 3 Trillion dollar deficit this year. And last week, we found out that the Social Security surplus has vaporized 5 years ahead of schedule.

Who is going to lend us this kinda money? If Bernanke prints it does this mean we are toast?

John Williams (ShadowStats) described this as the final act in a podcast last year with Puplava on financialsense.com.

Is this where we are now?

Comment

IF you PRINT, then your Trade deficit is restored along with inflation....NO PROBLEM!

Comment

Originally posted by The Outback Oracle View Post
            IF you PRINT, then your Trade deficit is restored along with inflation....NO PROBLEM!
            I'm not sure that is necessarily true. If the printed currency is soaked by deleveraging foreign economies ( like the euro banks in need of $1trillion, then as long as there is a backdraft effect, carefully managed printing can be done without fear of inflation or restoring the trade deficit. Isn't that after all how euro dollars and petro dollars were essentially born ( by backdraft effect not deleveraging)?

Falling US deficits plus US becoming a net lender to the world in Q4 2008 ... it seems things are progresing along the Fed's Hammerdrill line...;)

Comment

If you Print...they will come.

Comment

Originally posted by audrey_girl View Post
                I never thought that I would be upset to hear that the US trade deficit numbers were heading to zero/positive balance - but I am. If we don't buy all this foreign crap, why should they lend us money anymore?

The last 10 years have all been one humongous vendor financing scheme.

President Hollywood and is going to run up a 3 Trillion dollar deficit this year...

Who is going to lend us this kinda money? If Bernanke prints it does this mean we are toast?

Is this where we are now?
                So, a US default, either through monetary or political means. I'm beginning to see this through more practical terms: exactly who is going to do what to prevent a US default?
                Nuclear weapons: check
                Excess supply (scrap): check
                Weapons manufacturing capabilities: check
                Large unemployed workforce: check
                Secure infrastructure: Oops!

Seriously, though, this may be a blip in the long run. If you owe a little money, you're in trouble; if you owe a lot of money the bank's in trouble. The US owes a lot of money, but it's not in nearly as deep as its creditors.

Back to your regularly scheduled tranquilizer...

Comment

Well this is a positive for the economy. Hopefully the trend will go to where it needs to and that is to a trade surplus to pay off our foreign debt. It is hard however to get my mind around the fact that the Chinese are going to need to be net IMPORTERS of OUR goods before we resolve these imbalances.

Comment

Unfortunately I think we've probably near the low point of the falling trade deficit. The weakening dollar and rising oil price will reverse the trend, plus the need to replace the cheap crap which is temporarily being foregone in the initial throes of a bad economy.

I'll think different if this trend is still here after summer begins.

Comment

That would be suitably agnostic.

Originally posted by c1ue View Post
                      Unfortunately I think we've probably near the low point of the falling trade deficit. The weakening dollar and rising oil price will reverse the trend, plus the need to replace the cheap crap which is temporarily being foregone in the initial throes of a bad economy.

I'll think different if this trend is still here after summer begins.

Comment

So you guys really believe the government numbers? I think they have been tweaked.

Comment

Working...
                        X