X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last warning: 10 years to save world

Last warning: 10 years to save world
    January 28, 2007 (The Sunday Times)

Scientists say rising greenhouses gases will make climate change unstoppable in a decade

THE world has just 10 years to reverse surging greenhouse gas emissions or risk runaway climate change that could make many parts of the planet uninhabitable.

The stark warning comes from scientists who are working on the final draft of a new report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).

The report, due to be published this week, will draw together the work of thousands of scientists from around the world who have been studying changes in the world’s climate and predicting how they might accelerate.

They conclude that unless mankind rapidly stabilises greenhouse gas emissions and starts reducing them, it will have little chance of keeping global warming within manageable limits.

AntiSpin: I don't know about you, but I'm looking forward to seeing some serious science on this topic. Al Gore's comedy on the subject didn't do it for me.

Intuitively, it makes sense that if you raise global CO2 levels several times higher than in the past few thousands years and leave them there, you're going to break something, and if you get whacked out weather, you have positive correlation but you don't have causation. I hope this report is definitive on both the timing and the expected results. Be good to put this in either the list of items to discuss and plan for or dump into the doomer heap along with Y2K.
    ____
    Still roaring
    The Economist

China's economy grew by a dramatic 10.7% last year, but this year will be slightly quieter

ROSS PEROT, a populist American politician, predicted in the early 1990s that a trade pact with Mexico would create a ‘‘giant sucking sound’’ as jobs headed south. Instead, America experienced full employment. So giant-sucking-sound detectors turned to China. In time, China became the workshop of the world, although by then America had long hollowed out much of its manufacturing.

Now there really is a giant sucking sound—not one made by the flight of jobs, but by China ferociously hoovering up commodities and raw materials. Although it accounts for roughly 4% of global GDP (measured at market exchange rates), China consumes 30% of the world’s supply of minerals and other raw materials. This time around, the world has not only heard the sucking sound, but has also felt its effects, as the prices of commodities such as iron ore, copper and zinc have soared, doubling or tripling in just a couple of years.

If China does slow down, obviously the commodities sucker will slow down with it. Prices will fall. Jim Rogers told us that set backs like that are typical in commodity bull markets. No sweat. They'll be back.
    ____
    Stark picture from Rocky Mountain News of a U.S. Marine's coffin being loaded into the baggage section of a passanger plane as the passengers look on. When's the last time you saw any evidence of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, other than on TV or the Internet? How do you experience the war economically? Higher taxes? More inflation? Nope. Just more government jobs and a housing bubble. This must be the most peculiarly "free" war any nation's citizens have ever experienced, at least for now. But eventually we're going to have to "grow our way" out of debt, as the optimists say.
    ____
    One-third of students in Texas don't graduate
    Associated PressOne out of three Texas students don't graduate, and more students drop out than finish high school in the state's largest cities, according to education experts.

Statewide, more than 2.5 million students have dropped out of Texas high schools in the last 20 years, and each graduating class loses about 120,000 students from freshman year to senior year, according to the San Antonio-based Intercultural Development Research Association.

The research group says more than half of students in Texas' largest cities drop out. The dropout rate among blacks, Hispanics and low-income students is about 60 percent, according to the Center for Education at Rice University.

The statewide dropout rate is about 33 percent — or 20 points higher than what the Texas Education Agency reports.

If we're counting on young people and immigrants to pay our social security, looks like we can scratch Texas off the list of likely major contributors. At least they can get jobs that don't require a high school education, such as running Ford and GM.
    _____
    Behind Ford's scary $12.7 billion loss
    Alex Taylor III - FORTUNE MagazineThe Big Three are hemorrhaging money, and struggling to stay competitive with foreign rivals. Fortune's Alex Taylor crunches the numbers.

NEW YORK (Fortune) -- An enormous gap still separates the performance of Detroit automakers from their foreign competitors - and it isn't all their fault.

The stupefying $12.7 billion loss that Ford Motor Co. reported Thursday for 2006 comes one year after General Motors' equally horrendous $10.6 billion loss for 2005.

But for all the bad decisions these companies have made by not listening to their customers, they aren't entirely to blame. Structural inequities between the U.S. and Japan - notably in labor costs and currency - account for a big chunk of Detroit's problems.

The article is almost too painful to read. How, you might ask, did Toyota and other Japanese car companies manage to out-compete the U.S. while the U.S. was supposedly "booming" and Japan suffered through it's "lost decade" of "deflation"? I wonder what it was like being a politician in Japan during the years they shoveled manufacturing jobs to the U.S. Maybe we'll be lucky enough to get a lost decade, too.

Last edited by EJ; January 28, 2007, 11:30 PM.

Re: Last warning: 10 years to save world

Thanks, EJ, nothing like bits of good news to wrap up a nice weekend.

Did you ever see the pictures of some Muslims somewhere marching while lashing their own backs with chains I believe it was. Is such self-flagellation presumably of value? I am beginning to think reading iTulip is a form of self-flagellation; however, so far I remain in the dark as to its value.:confused:
    Jim 69 y/o

"...Texans...the lowest form of white man there is." Robert Duvall, as Al Sieber, in "Geronimo." (see "Location" for examples.)

Dedicated to the idea that all people deserve a chance for a healthy productive life. B&M Gates Fdn.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. Unknown.

Comment

Originally posted by EJ
      Last warning: 10 years to save world
      January 28, 2007 (The Sunday Times)

AntiSpin: I don't know about you, but I'm looking forward to seeing some serious science on this topic. Al Gore's comedy on the subject didn't do it for me.

For me, unless we have somehow found ourselves a lot closer to the sun, Al Gore's power point presentation is nothing other than a good scam.

Alex Taylor III - FORTUNE MagazineThe Big Three are hemorrhaging money, and struggling to stay competitive with foreign rivals. Fortune's Alex Taylor crunches the numbers.
      [/quote]
      If I were the Ford's preparing to take my company private again, I would certainly want to buy the shares back at $7 or $8 instead of $30.
      "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
      - Charles Mackay

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Nickerson

Did you ever see the pictures of some Muslims somewhere marching while lashing their own backs with chains I believe it was. Is such self-flagellation presumably of value? I am beginning to think reading iTulip is a form of self-flagellation; however, so far I remain in the dark as to its value.:confused:
        Now, Jim. There is no shortage of feel-good pieces on the tulip. It's just that, compared to, say, Cramer, they look like bad news. But who prepared his readers better emotionally in 1999, me or Cramer? Also, some apparently bad news may be good news. I project a recession later this year. The Fed, for political reasons, treats a recession like the end of the world. For the administration in power, it usually is, politically. So the Fed has accepted the idiotic role of trying to prevent them, except when they don't (ask Bush I).

I have no confidence in the ability of politicians to engineer economies and markets. I am, however, optimistic that when they eventually fail and a recession happens, the markets and economy will fix not only the natural imbalances that build up during booms but the gross distortions created by central banks in the attempt to prevent them, as well. In this, I am perhaps more optimistic than your average contrarian. Of course, there is always the possibility that I am wrong and the system goes haywire again ala 1997/98 but this time we don't get it back. We shall see.

Here's a feel-good piece for you by our hero, Alan Greenspan. The picture is not part of the original text, but added for comedic effect:

At the Adam Smith Memorial Lecture, Kirkcaldy, Scotland

Over the past two centuries, scholars have examined these issues extensively, but our knowledge of the source of inbred value preference remains importantly shaped by the debates that engaged the Enlightenment. The vast majority of economic decisions today fit those earlier presumptions of individuals acting more or less in their rational self-interest. Were it otherwise, economic variables would fluctuate more than we observe in markets at most times. Indeed, without the presumption of rational self-interest, the supply and demand curves of classical economics might not intersect, eliminating the possibility of market-determined prices. For example, one could hardly imagine that today's awesome array of international transactions would produce the relative economic stability that we experience daily if they were not led by some international version of Smith's invisible hand.

Comment

Yeah, you and the fat and happy masses. If you think serious analyses of what can go wrong is useless self-flagellation, you're in good company with our idiot president.

And your bias is showing. I grew up Catholic, and they sell self-flagellation better than any Muslim.

I don't know if there's any basis for global warming. But this partisan pre-judgement on both sides is sickening.

Comment

I simply drink more cheap vodka to cope.
            I one day will run with the big dogs in the world currency markets, and stick it to the man

Comment

On gub'mint jobs:

Comment

In my opinion, self-flagellation is of no value especially at it might have to do with any religion. On the other hand, what I have been able to glean from participating on iTulip in the past nine month has been of real value with regard to making me more aware of how screwed-up things are economically. There is no pleasantness to me in many of the items posted and discussed here, but to the contrary there is to me much enlightenment that is mentally burdensome, and were I not 65 but 10, 20, 30 or 40 years younger it would be much more so. I made no plea to EJ or anyone to post only feel-good topics.

Why do I remain in the dark as to the value while seemingly gaining insight into the screwed-up world of economics? Simply, I have not positively profited very much from it, which is likely a reflection of my investment skill. On the other hand, the ballgame isn't over until my ashes are bottled. I love (might be too strong a verb) iTulip, but I really am not lifted psychologicially by the knowledge that I believe I have gained here. It is unpleasant, and answers for change are to my reckoning far in the future, thus my not being unhappy at all with being a senior citizen.

Originally posted by Spectator
                Yeah, you and the fat and happy masses. If you think serious analyses of what can go wrong is useless self-flagellation, you're in good company with our idiot president.
                There is something to be said for the dictum, "ignorance is bliss," expecially in the US which for the seeming average Joe is all about possessing stuff now, and to hell with tomorrow or paying for the stuff. Whether it is valid or not, it has been said optimists live longer than pessiments, and I, as I recall jk characterizing himself, believe I am a pessimist by nature. Optimistically, being a pessimist with a shorter life-span might be a good thing that is unless you are really into being flagellated by self or otherwise.

And your bias is showing. I grew up Catholic, and they sell self-flagellation better than any Muslim.
                Without real intent to instigate discussion on religion or to hurt anyone's feelings who is religious, I think most religions are the bastion of ignorance, but to each his own--that is part of a free society. Actually I have no bias against Islam. It was just the image of those dudes chaining themselves over "celebration" of something Islamic that popped into my mind. Nothing so graphic came to mind with regard to Catholicism.

I don't know if there's any basis for global warming. But this partisan pre-judgement on both sides is sickening.
                If you took the time to watch the video on iTulips home page "Peak Oil, First Conversation 101," it points out mutiple values for application of intelligence when applied to energy utilization. If we, as the Earth's populace, had more intellectually and morally honest leaders Earth would, I believe, undoubtedly be a planet with prospects for a better future. If we were just wiser with how we expend our resources and capital we might not even be wondering about the truth of global warming.
                Jim 69 y/o

"...Texans...the lowest form of white man there is." Robert Duvall, as Al Sieber, in "Geronimo." (see "Location" for examples.)

Dedicated to the idea that all people deserve a chance for a healthy productive life. B&M Gates Fdn.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. Unknown.

Comment

Originally posted by ej
                  How, you might ask, did Toyota and other Japanese car companies manage to out-compete the U.S. while the U.S. was supposedly "booming" and Japan suffered through it's "lost decade" of "deflation"?

if i'm not mistaken, about $1500 of each car produced by gm and ford represents the cost of health care, a cost accounted for differently in societies which provide national health insurance. that's at least part of the problem.

Originally posted by tet
                  If I were the Ford's preparing to take my company private again, I would certainly want to buy the shares back at $7 or $8 instead of $30.

about taking ford private: my impression is that neither gm nor ford has any value. they are owned by the retirees present and future, and the health insurance beneficiaries. essentially, those 2 companies are pension and health insurance companies, with inadequate reserves invested in car production and finance divisions.

let me recommend bill gross' column of may 06, http://www.pimco.com/LeftNav/Feature...O+May+2006.htm

in which he discussed gm's problems as those of the u.s. as a whole, present and future, just writ smaller: uncompetitive products, uncompetitive labor costs and huge unfunded future liabilities.

Comment

The vast majority of economic decisions today fit those earlier presumptions of individuals acting more or less in their rational self-interest.
                    Interesting that sociology in the present day continues to find examples where supposed rational self-interest does not actually occur.

1) Fairness more important than absolute gain

The previously mentioned monkeys throwing away cucumbers if only one member receives a grape

2) Loss avoidance more important than statistical gain

Social Rationality versus Rational Egoism, Lindenberg 2001

3) Brain seems to work differently for credit purchases vs. cash

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?art...27F&sc=I100322

Comment

Originally Posted by tet
                      There are easier ways to take over a company - for example scrap existing stock and recapitalize. This is a common VC tactic, but on the other hand I don't know if I've ever seen it on a GM/Ford scale. Then again, Sears.

about taking ford private: my impression is that neither gm nor ford has any value. they are owned by the retirees present and future, and the health insurance beneficiaries. essentially, those 2 companies are pension and health insurance companies, with inadequate reserves invested in car production and finance divisions.
                      The other option (vs. recapitalization) is to go the airline route: declare bankruptcy and use that to hack retirement and labor costs. United did it, again not on the GM/Ford scale.

The health insurance angle is more interesting: Japan has national health insurance and so you could argue that this reduces the cost to Toyota et. al.

The Japanese have furthermore invested significantly in automated production with robots.

However, I do wonder just how much difference there is in relative corporate expenditure on employees between Japan and the US.

Japan seems to have a strong push towards keeping employee compensation below the 7M/9Myen levels - where taxation becomes heavy - but instead compensates with off-book benefits such as subsidized housing, 'expense accounts', etc.

This applies all the way up the chain of command - it is one reason why Japan's executives have a relatively low multiple vs. lowest paid worker.

Comment

Originally posted by Tet
                        [/b]

For me, unless we have somehow found ourselves a lot closer to the sun, Al Gore's power point presentation is nothing other than a good scam.

If I were the Ford's preparing to take my company private again, I would certainly want to buy the shares back at $7 or $8 instead of $30.[/quote]

Not sure I follow this one. Are you saying the Ford's decided to run Ford into the ground so they could buy the company back cheap?

Ford's and GM's demise is, to me, more of a Big Bet issue. When I was at a conference in Atlanta a few years ago, I had dinner with a guy in middle management in Ford's financing department. He said, and I quote: "We don't make cars. We are a bank that lends money so that people can buy cars. We might as well be making soap."

So it should be no surprise that if you've organized your manufacturing business around making money in finance versus in making product, and later the financing money dries up and you don't know how to be competitive as a auto manufacturer anymore, that you're going to get your ass kicked.

Comment

Originally posted by jk

I have a feeling that both Ford and GM have quite a large bundle of unrepatriated savings sitting in China, that would be my guess anyway. The Ford's would like to repatriate these savings for themselves and their buddies not the shareholders. That's what it looks like to me. I did pretty well buying GM about this time last year and sold it at the end of the summer. If GM's not making any money, their stock sure did.
                          "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
                          - Charles Mackay

Comment

Sorry about my critical comments yesterday - they were not justified. It was a reaction to a broad frustration that people do not think independently anymore. Every issue is now split into right versus left, us versus them. We find it much easier to just pick our leaders and buy into their sugar-coated message.

Both right and left are each dangerously wrong on so many issues, and sometimes both wrong on the same issue. We're doomed if we do not have a strong middle that swings back and forth. I hope we soon see a return to a strong show-me swing block.

Comment

Originally posted by Spectator
                              Sorry about my critical comments yesterday - they were not justified. It was a reaction to a broad frustration that people do not think independently anymore. Every issue is now split into right versus left, us versus them. We find it much easier to just pick our leaders and buy into their sugar-coated message.

Both right and left are each dangerously wrong on so many issues, and sometimes both wrong on the same issue. We're doomed if we do not have a strong middle that swings back and forth. I hope we soon see a return to a strong show-me swing block.
                              Spectator, see your skin was pricked by the psychologically burdensome content of iTulip. You must, I believe, admit that to read all posted here is some form of self-flagellation. You would be happier if you knew nothing of what is discussed on this board, wouldn't you? I would.
                              Jim 69 y/o

Comment

Working...
                              X