The 12 Rules of Survival Laurence Gonzales, Based on his book Deep Survival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 12 Rules of Survival Laurence Gonzales, Based on his book Deep Survival

Make appropriate adjustments for sample representativeness, dumb luck and survivor bias (only the survivors get interviewed)

and reporter bias (this reporter may have seen what he wanted to see, a la Maslow & his "actualization")

from his book: Deep Survival - Copyright (c) 2003 by Laurence Gonzales

_____
    As a journalist, I've been writing about accidents for more than thirty years. In the last 15 or so years, I've concentrated on accidents in outdoor recreation, in an effort to understand who lives, who dies, and why. To my surprise, I found an eerie uniformity in the way people survive seemingly impossible circumstances. Decades and sometimes centuries apart, separated by culture, geography, race, language, and tradition, the most successful survivors–those who practice what I call “deep survival”–go through the same patterns of thought and behavior, the same transformation and spiritual discovery, in the course of keeping themselves alive. Not only that but it doesn't seem to matter whether they are surviving being lost in the wilderness or battling cancer, whether they're struggling through divorce or facing a business catastrophe–the strategies remain the same.

Survival should be thought of as a journey, a vision quest of the sort that Native Americans have had as a rite of passage for thousands of years. Once you're past the precipitating event–you're cast away at sea or told you have cancer–you have been enrolled in one of the oldest schools in history. Here are a few things I've learned that can help you pass the final exam.

1. Perceive and Believe. Don't fall into the deadly trap of denial or of immobilizing fear. Admit it: You're really in trouble and you're going to have to get yourself out.

2. Stay Calm – Use Your Anger In the initial crisis, survivors are not ruled by fear; instead, they make use of it. Their fear often feels like (and turns into) anger, which motivates them and makes them feel sharper.

3. Think, Analyze, and Plan. Survivors quickly organize, set up routines, and institute discipline.

4. Take Correct, Decisive Action. Survivors are willing to take risks to save themselves and others. But they are simultaneously bold and cautious in what they will do. They handle what is within their power to deal with from moment to moment, hour to hour, day to day.

5. Celebrate your success. Survivors take great joy from even their smallest successes. This helps keep motivation high and prevents a lethal plunge into hopelessness. Viktor Frankl put it this way: “Don't aim at success–the more you aim at it and make it a target,the more you are going to miss it.”

7. Enjoy the Survival Journey. It may seem counterintuitive, but even in the worst circumstances, survivors find something to enjoy, some way to play and laugh. Survival can be tedious, and waiting itself is an art.

8. See the Beauty. Survivors are attuned to the wonder of their world, especially in the face of mortal danger. The appreciation of beauty, the feeling of awe, opens the senses to the environment. (When you see something beautiful, your pupils actually dilate.) When Saint-Exupery's plane went down in the Lybian Desert, he was certain that he was doomed, but he carried on in this spirit: “Here we are, condemned to death, and still the certainty of dying cannot compare with the pleasure I am feeling. The joy I take from this half an orange which I am holding in my hand is one of the greatest joys I have ever known.” At no time did he stop to bemoan his fate, or if he did, it was only to laugh at himself.

9. Believe That You Will Succeed. It is at this point, following what I call “the vision,” that the survivor's will to live becomes firmly fixed.

10. Surrender. Yes you might die. In fact, you wil die–we all do. But perhaps it doesn't have to be today. Don't let it worry you.

11. Do Whatever Is Necessary

12. Never Give Up If you're still alive, there is always one more thing that you can do.

Survivors are not easily discouraged by setbacks.

Copyright (c) 2003 by Laurence Gonzales
    Last edited by BDAdmin; November 22, 2010, 12:13 PM. Reason: Copyright (c) 2003 by Laurence Gonzales

Re: The 12 Rules of Survival Laurence Gonzales, Based on his book Deep Survival

i survived watching an episode of survivor. does that count?
    Last edited by BDAdmin; November 22, 2010, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Reminds me of the OODA loop

The OODA Loop (for Observe, Orient, Decide and Act) is a concept applied to the combat operations process, often at strategic level in both the military and commercial operations. It was created by military strategist and USAF Colonel John Boyd.
      which has been mentioned elsewhere on these pages.
      It's Economics vs Thermodynamics. Thermodynamics wins.

Comment

What was the motivation of posting this? Are we supposed to apply this to survival in the current economic crisis?

Comment

It's one (of many) interesting yardsticks to use

1. to compare "official" reactions against
          2. to observe your own mental processes against (if you're aware or generally detached enough to catch some of your responses in real-time)
          3. get yourself ready ("gird your loins") for the firefights, locusts, floods, roving bands of looters and people carrying "the Watchtower" coming your way soon

Originally posted by dbarberic View Post
          What was the motivation of posting this? Are we supposed to apply this to survival in the current economic crisis?
          but keep the caveats in mind. I really suspect he carried some pre-conceived, information - filtering notions[*] into the project with him
          [*] http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...=Google+Search

Comment

Working...
          X