Overshooting prediction markets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overshooting prediction markets

I've posted about prediction markets before, my favorite being http://www.intrade.com/ and in fact I have personally implemented my own virtualfuturesmarket as well (note to EJ - it would be cool if we could have a predictions market game combined with iTulip to see who would be the best at .. another post)

Anyhow, I have recently made some bets on the outcome of the election on Tuesday, and I have bet a certain amount that the Democrats will take the House. I find myself betting probably more than I should given the research I've done on the polls, simply because the prediction markets are already showing a pretty high chance they will win the house.

I wonder if the same occurs with other futures market, such as the one for interest rates. Do people see others betting that a rate hike won't occur? In a way, it almost becomes a self fulfilling prophecy as the Fed is likely leary about hiking when the markets are predicting so confidentally a pause.

Re: Overshooting prediction markets

I believe there are a couple of sites that bet on it. Really though, I look to the price of gold for this direction. I dont think that Uncle Ben and the posse have the nutsack to do what is right and go to 6%. Of course it was a total wuss out for little AL to pussyfoot around with the .25% increments beforehand . :mad:

JMHO
    I one day will run with the big dogs in the world currency markets, and stick it to the man

Comment

Working...
    X