Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something’s Always Going Up

The Big Picture - Asset Allocation

We spend a lot of time on individual investment ideas, but relatively little on how it all fits together. Yet studies show that the single biggest determinant of your investment returns over time is how you allocate assets among the major asset classes. So let's dedicate a thread to that all-important yet under-appreciated issue.

First, what are those major asset classes? For some they are stocks, bonds and cash. Some broaden the field to include commodities and real estate. A drawback of the first categorization is the problem of inflation. During periods of rising inflation, which many here expect, financial assets such as stocks bonds and cash can fail to keep up. In the 1970's for example, bonds and cash lost value to inflation, and even as the growth of corporate earnings under-girded stocks, their prices relative to those earnings contracted as the time value of money shrank with rising interest rates. The result was that a portfolio of stocks, bonds and cash lost value on all three fronts.

The inclusion of so-called alternative asset classes therefore seems to make sense. With that in mind, let's look at an asset allocation template. This is a general guide, not a one-size fits all model, but it gives us a framework within which to examine the issue. This model would be most appropriate for an American with no debt and no fixed-income proxies such as pensions (a pension, for example, would make up part of the fixed income allocation so the present value of a pension could in principle be subtracted from the fixed income portion of ones portfolio). It also assumes one has no particular outlook on the markets. If one was convinced that gold, for example, would outperform stocks on a long term basis, he could use a higher allocation of gold and a lesser allocation to stocks.

With that in mind, a basic portfolio model could include:

25% Cash & bonds - this would include bank savings, cash balances with your broker, and any funds that are invested in bills, notes or bonds such as SHY or TLT

25% Commodities - this would include your gold, silver, platinum, and copper bullion, and your net collateralized long position in commodity futures - for example shares in PCDRX.

50% Equities - this would include stocks, real estate and energy trusts, as well as funds that are invested in these securities.

The principle here is that each of these classes of assets tends to perform independently of the others. Some types of investments you may want to consider hybrids. For example, high yield Canadian energy trusts, aside from being fundamentally equities, also have a degree of bond-like character due to their yields and tend to be more interest rate sensitive than other equities. Similar remarks apply to real estate investment trusts. At the same time, however, they also have a commodity-like character due to their underlying hard assets. So you could classify these investments perhaps at 50% equity and 25% each bond and commodity. Just be sure that the majority of your bond and commodity allocations in a case like this are true positions in bonds, bullion, or futures.

Next, season to taste. Are you a more income-oriented investor? If so, you could emphasize bonds a bit more. Use an equity income fund for a portion of your stock allocation. Concentrate more on energy and realty trusts. Are you looking for capital appreciation? Do just the opposite. What about your investment outlook? Does gold figure very prominently in your investment outlook and goals? Increase the bullion allocation.

Regardless, it is very well advised to sit down and work out a long term asset allocation plan. One that reflects both your individual circumstances and your long term financial outlook, and that is adequately diversified among the major asset classes. Once you do that, review your portfolio a minimum of once every two years. If any class has significantly deviated from your target percentage, rebalance. In the mean time, if you like to take a more active role in managing your investments, you can review more frequently, perhaps in response to market swings. In any case, however, keep your basic asset allocation in mind, and if you deviate from it, be sure you have a reason you can articulate to yourself.

The basic concept here is a takeoff on the "Permanent Portfolio" as set forth in Harry Browne’s excellent book, Fail Safe Investing. In it Browne advocates an all-season asset allocation of 25% cash, 25% bonds, 25% stocks, and 25% gold, along with a rebalancing algorithm. Rather than attempt to lay out the case for his model, I recommend reading the book. It is a short book, easy to read, and elegantly simple in concept and application. Harry Browne, by the way, also wrote the book How You Can Profit In A Monetary Crisis over 25 years earlier, which despite its title is one of the best economics texts ever written and which formed the basis of my conception of finance and economics as a teenager. Browne, who just passed away a few months ago, was a master investor and also was twice the Libertarian Party nominee for President of the United States. He is also well known for his book How I Found Freedom In An Unfree World.

Financial Relativity

Finally, assess the value of each asset using some independent unit. Cash is just like any other security, but we - by the force of deeply ingrained habit due to its widespread use as our unit of account - tacitly assume it to be fixed in value. It most certainly is not!

This error is tantamount to taking any of the other components as constant; for example, assuming that the S&P 500 is fixed. If you were to then use that as the unit of measure for your portfolio performance you would see cash rising dramatically in value during the time period in question. But as Einstein might say, it’s all relative. Your error is very common - practically universal - due simply to the fact that we use our currency, the US dollar, as our unit of account. But aside from sheer force of habit, I would challenge you to defend your tacit assumption. Just try and justify a position that the value of the US dollar never changes!

On what grounds, for example, might you assert that in fact the real value of cash did not change and that it remained fixed as in stone as the stock market declined, rather than rising as the stock market remained fixed as in stone?

The real truth is neither.

But this is not merely an academic point. In fact, in the 1929-1932 experience, a great deal of the apparent losses in the stock market were in fact a phenomenon of a rising value of dollars. That’s why we call it a deflation. Not only did cash rise against stocks, but it also rose against real estate, commodities, groceries, and just about everything else. If you held a portfolio of 50% stocks and 50% cash, and the stock portion declined by 90%, most people would conclude that your overall loss was 45%. I strenuously object, however, countering that your cash gained in value - you just failed to acknowledge that fact by assuming cash to be constant and using the cash as your unit of measure.

It happened again in 2000-2002. Of course this time the Federal Reserve intervened with a massive, historic, inflationary effort before the slow-to-respond consumer prices went deep into the negative. We did briefly dip into CPI deflation in during that period, but the underlying deflation was cut short before it could really affect consumer prices to an extent resembling 1929-1932. Nevertheless, the assumption of constant cash value is unjustified.

This is a crucial point behind my FDI work. In fact, the main application I use it for is as the unit of account for my own portfolio performance. If the value of cash rises, I see it happening in my spreadsheets. If it falls (the more normal circumstance!) I see it declining. And if stock prices are merely reflecting inflation, the declining value of the dollar, then I am not lulled into thinking I am turning a real profit when in fact I’m just treading water. If you were to do the same with the portfolio I cited - and include dividends and interest, the effects of rebalancing, etceteras, you would find that even in this historical outlier of a financial environment, you would have done far better than the vast majority of investors and then gone on to do so in the subsequent environment as well.

Sometimes everything seems to be going down. Stocks, bonds, gold, what-have-you. These periods are relatively rare, but even then are mostly illusory. In fact, if that appears to be the case, one has to consider the possibility that maybe everything is not really going down, but that the unit in which we measure those things itself is going up. When you examine the historical record, and evaluate the performance of a portfolio such Browne’s in real terms, you simply do not find any protracted period where such a thing happens. Something is always going up. It’s just that when it happens to be cash, your use of cash as a unit of account leads you to fail to notice. Conversely, if everything seems to be going up, perhaps it is our unit that is shrinking.

Imagine a little "thought experiment". When I bought my last house, I measured it using a cotton ruler. Before I sold it, I washed the ruler and dried it at high heat. To my delight, my house had increased in square footage by over 60%! Encouraged by this revelation, I set my asking price at more than 60% over what I had paid … and got it!

Boy was that a good investment or what! How much richer I am now!

Alas, my logic founders on my failure to acknowledge the possibility that somebody did very much the same thing to the dollar during that period as I did to my cotton ruler.
    Finster

Re: Something’s Always Going Up

so what do you think will go up now?

it may just be wise to stay out of the baddest of the bear markets.

gold is looking good today.

da bear

Comment

finster, i would be interested in a discussion of how you construct your fdi, and why you consider it a more appropriate measure than, say, john williams' adjusted cpi. i know that you somehow include the value of capital goods, but if i am a u.s. resident, interested in using my dollars to purchase food, clothing, shelter, travel, health care, information, etc - then perhaps a pure consumption measure is more appropriate for me. why do you consider the fdi more useful to you?

how do you include the value of capital assets, global real estate, and so on in your measure?

and what are the implicit assumptions as to the importance of various goods, services and asset classes?

[btw- your new avatar is a great improvement.]
      Last edited by jk; October 30, 2006, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Hannibal, I mean Finster, I liked the H. Lecter avatar. It demands more respect (or fear) than A. Einstein with his tongue stuck out. Internet Movie Database describes Lecter as brilliant, cunning, psychotic and ruthless (as a killer). I think you should go back to the A. Hopkins character. Of course, I am joshing, sort of.

Down to business.

I am retired and get a social security check. I have thought of that check as similar to having whatever would calculate as the present value (PV) in a CD in the bank paying me the interest each month. But I have never bothered to consider it in a formal asset allocation plan. Assume a $1000 per month income and a life expectancy of 21 years (IRS table) my PV formula in Excel computes PV with the assumption of level payments, which isn't true with social security, but I guess works for making a general assumption for PV. With those assumptions, the PV would be about $150,000. So assume one had liquid assets that were four times that, or $600,000, or perhaps effectively $750,000 with the PV of social security.

Are you saying that in a 25% cash - bonds, 25% stocks, 25% commodities, 25% gold allocation as Browne recommended, which when divided one would consider having $187,500 in each category. Is that how a real expert would look at this, i.e. to treat the PV of the pension or SS as a real asset? I am not inferring that your answer will be that of a real expert, but I expect you likely know how a real expert would answer that. It is not necessary get into the practicality of anyone living off the income of just dividends from $187,500.

Originally posted by Finster
        ... review your portfolio a minimum of once every two years. If any class has significantly deviated from your target percentage, rebalance.
        What do you, or anyone else, believe constitutes a "signficant deviation?" Finster, you either think or know deeply about things like this, so there must be some discussion that can take place on the issue.

As far as I am concerned, Finster, all you have written in the other thread on this has laid out the case sufficient for me to accept the proposition of value to asset allocation.

Back on 10/14 in the other thread
        Originally posted by Finster, # 24 there
        Commodities, including hard money, futures indices, and other physical asset investments, have been where most of the action has been the past couple of years. Lately they have sold off sharply, and as a class represent a better value than stocks. So my overall view is that commodities should be overweighted, stocks slightly underweighted, and bonds substantially underweighted. My current target mix is about 36% hard money and commodity indexes, 48% stocks, and 16% bonds and cash, relative to a neutral weighting of 25%, 50%, and 25%, respectively.
        The above seems to be putting your money where your fingers are (because we are writing and not speaking). For some reason, I tend to think the above mix came about from your thinking through a rebalancing of some prior allocation. If that is true, out of curiosity, how long had you maintained whatever was the previous allocation?

It's late and I am tired. Probably more questions later.

Thanks, Finster.
        Jim 69 y/o

"...Texans...the lowest form of white man there is." Robert Duvall, as Al Sieber, in "Geronimo." (see "Location" for examples.)

Dedicated to the idea that all people deserve a chance for a healthy productive life. B&M Gates Fdn.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. Unknown.

Comment

Originally posted by da bear
          so what do you think will go up now?

it may just be wise to stay out of the baddest of the bear markets.

gold is looking good today.

da bear
          da bear! Good to see you. Now this may offend your bear-ish sensibilities ;), but there is always a bull market in something!

The devil is in the details though. Your question - "so what do you think will go up now? - is of course the crux of the investment proposition, once you have established that something will go up. Probably the best answer is "I don't know."!

But there are ways of putting probabilites on it. My favorite boils down to figuring out how, relative to each other, the various asset classes are under or over valued in the overall financial environment. At this time, gold and other commodities come out as the most undervalued. Cash and bonds taken together are the most overvalued, with stocks falling in between. So given a "neutral" allocation of 25% cash and bonds, 25% gold and commodities, and 50% stocks, my target allocation now stands at about 16% cash and bonds, 36% gold and commodities, and 48% stocks.
          Finster

Comment

Originally posted by jk
            finster, i would be interested in a discussion of how you construct your fdi, and why you consider it a more appropriate measure than, say, john williams' adjusted cpi. i know that you somehow include the value of capital goods, but if i am a u.s. resident, interested in using my dollars to purchase food, clothing, shelter, travel, health care, information, etc - then perhaps a pure consumption measure is more appropriate for me. why do you consider the fdi more useful to you?

how do you include the value of capital assets, global real estate, and so on in your measure?

and what are the implicit assumptions as to the importance of various goods, services and asset classes?

[btw- your new avatar is a great improvement.]
            The FDI is one of those things that is simple in concept, but complex in execution. I may someday sell the "secret formula" to a financial index provider or publisher, but for now will stick to the simple and conceptual.

The central idea is that in a fundamental way, currencies are like any other securities and vary in market value in real time. In principle, you ought to be able to chart the US dollar just like you do, say, the S&P 500 or gold. But the question soon comes up, "In what units?". When we chart the S&P 500 or gold, we conventionally use the USD as the unit. So if we were to chart the USD the same way, we'd just get the trivial result of a straight line.

The conventional US dollar index gets around that issue by using a basket of other currencies as a unit with which to measure the USD. But as useful for forex traders and economists as this may be, it involves a circularity in that those other currencies themselves can vary in value. Taken to its logical conclusion, you could construct a whole set of currency indices that way, but they'd all just indicate market values relative to each other. And we all know that currencies have a pronounced tendency to fall in value over time. Prices rise as the values of the units in which you measure them declines.

So if we want to take this latter factor into account, we have to have some other unit against which to weigh values. What thing might there be that is truly unchanging in value over years, decades, and centuries?

You can consider a whole list of candidates. Some would propose gold. Some good arguments for it can be made. But it also presents some problems. Empirically, we observe some rather stunning volatility in gold prices that is difficult to explain purely in terms of changing currency. And theoretically, it is possible for the real value of gold to fall, say on some huge new discovery, or for it to rise, say if it were somehow to be found a critical element in a cure for cancer. We even have a historical example of the former from when the Spanish took large amounts of gold from South America to Europe, resulting in an inflation and rising prices even as denominated in gold.

For the FDI, I've settled on human time. I can't "prove" it; it's more like something you either accept axiomatically or you don't. I axiomatically assert that the value of human time is a constant. The best I can do to justify that is to ask what would be a better candidate. If someone can come up with one, then it would have to be reconsidered. But as the Austrian school would point out, value is subjective. So when we talk about the value of human time, the relevant judge is the person to whom the time belongs. So I make a statement to the following effect: The value of an hour of a man's time to him now is the same as it was in the age of Shakespeare. If you disagree with that statement, then any further time spent on the FDI would be wasted.

Why would I "consider it a more appropriate measure than, say, john williams' adjusted cpi."? It depends on what you are trying to measure. If you are trying to measure US domestic consumer prices, then the more appropriate measure would be John William's SGS CPI. If you are trying to measure the value of the US dollar, then the more appropriate measure would be the FDI. So there is an element of subjectivity to the question. As a practical matter though, it's worth noting that changes in the FDI tend to lead changes in US domestic consumer prices by one to two years. That is, domestic consumer prices lag broad inflation. As an investor, I prefer timely data.
            Finster

Comment

finster, you have said elsewhere that your fdi includes measures of global assets. here you state the unit is human time. if the latter, presumably the fdi would be the inverse of average hourly compensation. i suppose that could be an average over the whole globe, though i think there would be a lot of problems with the large number of people who are involved in subsistance agriculture. so if we accept the notion of human time as a universal yardstick, i don't see how [except in very indirect ways] you get to asset values.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Nickerson
                Hannibal, I mean Finster, I liked the H. Lecter avatar. It demands more respect (or fear) than A. Einstein with his tongue stuck out. Internet Movie Database describes Lecter as brilliant, cunning, psychotic and ruthless (as a killer). I think you should go back to the A. Hopkins character. Of course, I am joshing, sort of.

Maybe you and jk can sort out your differences on the question and let me know. Finster is probably less psychotic than Lecter but more so than Einstein… ;)

I am retired and get a social security check. I have thought of that check as similar to having whatever would calculate as the present value (PV) in a CD in the bank paying me the interest each month. But I have never bothered to consider it in a formal asset allocation plan. Assume a $1000 per month income and a life expectancy of 21 years (IRS table) my PV formula in Excel computes PV with the assumption of level payments, which isn't true with social security, but I guess works for making a general assumption for PV. With those assumptions, the PV would be about $150,000. So assume one had liquid assets that were four times that, or $600,000, or perhaps effectively $750,000 with the PV of social security.

Are you saying that in a 25% cash - bonds, 25% stocks, 25% commodities, 25% gold allocation as Browne recommended, which when divided one would consider having $187,500 in each category. Is that how a real expert would look at this, i.e. to treat the PV of the pension or SS as a real asset? I am not inferring that your answer will be that of a real expert, but I expect you likely know how a real expert would answer that. It is not necessary get into the practicality of anyone living off the income of just dividends from $187,500.
                That is a truly excellent and insightful question, Jim. I had to wrestle with the same issue myself, except with a different future income stream. In fact the truest answer is probably just what you suggest and treat the PV of the SS payments as an asset. But as part of your bond allocation. It is effectively an obligation of the US Treasury to you, much as if you owned Treasury bonds.

There are some flys in that ointment, though. It’s not exactly the same as owning Treasuries, but more like the best match. For several reasons, including CPI adjustments, potential changes in the law, and the unknown duration of the income stream. And crucially, you can't just move funds into and outof it like you can other assets. So what I eventually settled on was to alter my overall target mix to take into account the existence of a significant external bond-like asset. In fact that is one reason I use the 50%-25%-25% mix instead of 25%-25%-25%-25% of Browne’s. Social Security or something similar sits in almost everyone’s financial picture.

More importantly yet, this is why nothing I say should be construed as actual investment advice, and why I do not assume that my "neutral target allocation" is fit for everyone. I generally try to frame questions about how much of each asset class to have as relative to one’s own "neutral" allocation, whatever that may be. A proper investment program has to take into account personal circumstances that are not the same for everybody.

What do you, or anyone else, believe constitutes a "signficant deviation?" Finster, you either think or know deeply about things like this, so there must be some discussion that can take place on the issue.

As far as I am concerned, Finster, all you have written in the other thread on this has laid out the case sufficient for me to accept the proposition of value to asset allocation.

Back on 10/14 in the other thread

The above seems to be putting your money where your fingers are (because we are writing and not speaking). For some reason, I tend to think the above mix came about from your thinking through a rebalancing of some prior allocation. If that is true, out of curiosity, how long had you maintained whatever was the previous allocation?
                A complete answer to this would take more finger work than either of us has time for, but you could get some good perspective on it from Browne’s book. Part of is a matter of personal preference. How frequently do you want to attend to your portfolio? How frequently do you want to trade? Are you using a static asset allocation or a dynamic one? If it’s dynamic, how are the allocations determined? You could set specific dates, say once a year or even once every two years, upon which you will simply rebalance everything, or select some fixed deviation like 5% or 10% to trigger action. Of it you follow the markets, you could do it whenever there has been some sufficiently large movement of similar magnitude. In my case, I’ve set up an elaborate spreadsheet program into which I input data once a week and which outputs specific buy sell or hold instructions. The important thing in this is not the specific details, but having some plan that reflects your personal goals and circumstances.
                Last edited by Finster; October 31, 2006, 11:18 AM.
                Finster

Comment

Originally posted by jk
                  finster, you have said elsewhere that your fdi includes measures of global assets. here you state the unit is human time. if the latter, presumably the fdi would be the inverse of average hourly compensation. i suppose that could be an average over the whole globe, though i think there would be a lot of problems with the large number of people who are involved in subsistance agriculture. so if we accept the notion of human time as a universal yardstick, i don't see how [except in very indirect ways] you get to asset values.
                  Right, jk. This is why in spite of its being "simple in concept", it is nevertheless "complex in execution". It is also an approximation. On my site I assign it an uncertainty of about 1/2% per year. And even that would apply only to the past ten or twenty years. Due to the lesser availability and quality of data as one goes back in time, that uncertainty grows as one goes back many decades. As a practical matter though, the incorporation of asset values and the fact that the dollar itself is an asset may make it even more suitable as a unit for valuing assets.
                  Last edited by Finster; October 31, 2006, 10:46 AM.
                  Finster

Comment

finster, i understand you are reluctant to specify your "secret formula," but making public some sense of what your inputs are would be useful in determining whether others wish to use your fdi. [otherwise, why publish it at all?]

Comment

Nice Try, JK

Originally posted by jk
                      finster, i understand you are reluctant to specify your "secret formula," but making public some sense of what your inputs are would be useful in determining whether others wish to use your fdi. [otherwise, why publish it at all?]
                      Two questions:

1) Ever drink Coca Cola?

2) Know the secret formula?
                      Finster

Comment

Re: Nice Try, JK

Originally posted by Finster
                        Two questions:

1) Ever drink Coca Cola?

2) Know the secret formula?
                        1. yes
                        2. no
                        3. what does it cost to try? $1
                        4. how much time does it take to try? 5min
                        5. is there risk in trying it? no

Comment

Re: Nice Try, JK

Originally posted by jk
                          1. yes
                          2. no
                          3. what does it cost to try? $1
                          4. how much time does it take to try? 5min
                          5. is there risk in trying it? no
                          Sounds like you're slowly glomming onto the point, jk. Questions 6-8 are as follows:

6) How do you know if it's any good?

7) What's the potential benefit of trying it?

8) Does knowing the secret formula answer any of questions 1-7?

Fact is, people use financial indices all the time without knowing how they are constructed. I would challenge any of the people who volunteered forecasts on the DJIA in a recent thread to state the formula for its construction. Never mind the S&P 500. Or how many people here who have talked about the CPI (both BLS and SGS versions) in relation to inflation, deflation, or what have you knew the details of its construction when they were doing so? How many people actually fork over large sums of money to buy a stock without ever examining the balance sheet?

Or perhaps even more to the point, how many people who have the audacity to actually buy or sell something for dollars have even the foggiest notion what the darn things are?
                          Finster

Comment

Originally posted by finster
                            Fact is, people use financial indices all the time without knowing how they are constructed.
                            i'm not "people." and having spent time getting to know the ins and outs, the distortions and fabrications of the official cost index, i will pass on adopting an index i don't understand. that's ok.

i'm a physician, a biological psychiatrist. i have become quite skeptical over the years. when a read a research paper i examine it very closely to see if there are biases in its construction, so that i know how to interpret the results. i'm not any less interested in understanding the things on which i base the management of my money.

Comment

Finster,

Thanks for pulling this out of the depths of that other thread! Definitely worthwhile and appreciated.

Sean

Comment

Working...
                              X