PDA

View Full Version : Russian chooses Russia over US

Jeff
09-06-08, 09:51 AM
Here in Coastal Maine we have a large population of Russian college students who spend the summer working at the restaurants and grocery stores here. The seasonal business cycle, where most things happen between the 4th of July and Labor Day seems to fit the school season over there.

I was talking to a Russian bartender yesterday who is headed back to Moscow tomorrow to finish her degree in Computer Science. She was almost embarrassed to answer when I asked if she'd be back to work in the US. She answered shyly that there were a lot more opportunities in Russia than in the US.

Think about it. Fluent english, Computer Science degree (not to mention gorgeous) and she'd rather work in Russia than the US. Who would have believed this could happen 20 years ago.

I mourn the loss of my country. That farm in Costa Rica is looking better and better.

metalman
09-06-08, 10:22 PM
Here in Coastal Maine we have a large population of Russian college students who spend the summer working at the restaurants and grocery stores here. The seasonal business cycle, where most things happen between the 4th of July and Labor Day seems to fit the school season over there.

I was talking to a Russian bartender yesterday who is headed back to Moscow tomorrow to finish her degree in Computer Science. She was almost embarrassed to answer when I asked if she'd be back to work in the US. She answered shyly that there were a lot more opportunities in Russia than in the US.

Think about it. Fluent english, Computer Science degree (not to mention gorgeous) and she'd rather work in Russia than the US. Who would have believed this could happen 20 years ago.

I mourn the loss of my country. That farm in Costa Rica is looking better and better.

when she gets back from russia next year maybe she'll change her mind. it'll be bad here, but worse there. all things being relative...

Shakespear
09-07-08, 03:24 AM
I have been to Russia many times and not just on 2 week vacations. What I have noticed is that Russians have a GREAT attachment to their country.

I think it is the trees, snow etc. that really strongly binds them there. So the student's answer does not surprise me.

However I suspect that they are smart enough also to see that with the weakness of the dollar there is not a great advantage to make a living in the US if in the end they want to go back.

I like the Chinese attitude "Go anywhere". Africa, South America, small islands of Carribean or even Borneo. You can find them there. :-)

Jeff
09-07-08, 02:19 PM
That's interesting, because we have lots of trees and snow here, and the weather is apparently much like Moscow's. A few of the visiting student have married locals and stayed here, but I never asked one before what their plans were after graduation.

GRG55
09-07-08, 11:21 PM
That's interesting, because we have lots of trees and snow here, and the weather is apparently much like Moscow's. A few of the visiting student have married locals and stayed here, but I never asked one before what their plans were after graduation.

I think one reason you got that response to your question is the growing sense [among many of us outside the USA, especially those like me who visit it regularly] that your country has a dysfunctional immigration policy, and as a consequence has become actively hostile towards immigration.

ER59
09-08-08, 12:56 AM
I have three friends who after living and working in US decided to go back to Russia. All three are computer programmers.

Talking to lots of immigrant here, in CA, I found that most immigrants, unless they have been treated really badly back in their original countries, love their mother lands and their heritages. Russians are not unique. So my friends decision has very little to do with “the trees, snow, and etc”. Actually, one of my friends hates snow and loves CA climate. And it has a lot to do with “that they are smart enough also to see that with the weakness of the dollar there is not a great advantage to make a living in the US”.

Russian programmers are pretty good because of the education they get in Russia and they have more opportunities now: they can work at home and have good money because most of them work for foreign companies anyway or they can choose to go to work in Europe, Korea or elsewhere and the younger ones love it.