Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are they crying?

Why are they crying?

Watching the Democratic convention, even the conservative journalists failed their attempts to appear impartial and emotionally distant. All are overtaken by historic events. America has in one bold stoke knocked down an outstanding offensive moral exclusion to the uniquely American idea of freedom we embarked on in 1776, an omission that nearly destroyed the nation 100 years later and has corrupted and depraved us ever since.

Never mind whether by Democrat or Republican party – congratulations. We have nominated man of African heritage as a candidate for President of the United States.

All social barriers are rooted in economic fallacy. As Milton Friedman said, “Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.”

There is plenty to go around, but only if we put our heads together. If we fight over only what exists today, and create exclusions to justify who gets resources limited only by our imaginations, prejudices, and fear, we will never see how we can grow the pie together.

America has grown strong by rewarding passion and invention, by freeing the passionate and inventive from the tyranny of kings.

All great inventions that change our world come from the heart. Many more barriers shall soon fall with the emotional and economic force of 100 industrial revolutions.

Note: This is not an endorsement of Obama for President. iTulip does not endorse political candidates. It is one of many endorsements of the idea of freedom that we have made here over the years, and an acknowledgment that at least symbolically a major step has been taken.
    Last edited by FRED; August 28, 2008, 10:55 PM.

Re: Why are they crying?

EJ, you are indeed a man of some depth. You've expanded the iTulip dialogue to include an historical event by linking it to invention, economics, our futures, and basic human emotions. Impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Verrocchio View Post
      EJ, you are indeed a man of some depth. You've expanded the iTulip dialogue to include an historical event by linking it to invention, economics, our futures, and basic human emotions. Impressive.
      what a paradox... the end of the fire econ just as a new level of freedom and justice has arrived.

Comment

When have the Mainstream Media ever been impartial where Democrat candidates are concerned?

Your overblown rhetoric concerning the nomination of an empty suit with a penchant for reading speeches long on fluff, but short on substance, who just happens to be half African-American makes me think you've been drinking a bit.

Forgive me if don't get verklempt.
        Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho

Comment

Originally posted by Master Shake View Post
          When have the Mainstream Media ever been impartial where Democrat candidates are concerned?

Your overblown rhetoric concerning the nomination of an empty suit with a penchant for reading speeches long on fluff, but short on substance, who just happens to be half African-American makes me think you've been drinking a bit.

Forgive me if don't get verklempt.
          Was ist "verklempt"?
          Last edited by Jim Nickerson; August 27, 2008, 10:50 PM.
          Jim 69 y/o

"...Texans...the lowest form of white man there is." Robert Duvall, as Al Sieber, in "Geronimo." (see "Location" for examples.)

Dedicated to the idea that all people deserve a chance for a healthy productive life. B&M Gates Fdn.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. Unknown.

Comment

Originally posted by EJ View Post
            America has in one bold stoke knocked down an outstanding offensive moral exclusion to the uniquely American idea of freedom we embarked on in 1776, an omission that nearly destroyed the nation 100 years later and has corrupted and depraved us ever since – congratulations. We have nominated man of African heritage as a candidate for President of the United States.
            EJ -

Got to admit I'm a good deal less focused on whether we cross that emancipating milestone, in this particular election, than I am concerned that we avoid fiscal immolation in the shorter term. I am for affirmative action in education, although even that has it's polemical arguments in all directions. Of course, the larger demographic issue is what is calling out for affirmative action in education, and I see it, and so I'm also glad to see these milestones reached as well. But in the race to the White House? Introducing this concept into a race for the chief executive job in the middle of the horrific fiscal mess we're in seems to me somewhat inappropriate. It obscures the issues which we need to keep really streamlined and really simple. When it comes to national elections in an enviroment where the US may be spiraling into a vortex of economic and currency disintegration, I think we ought to remain focused firmly on whether ANY of these guys have the insight, or the toughness, to impose the fiscal emergency operation and manage to rescue us from impending fiscal catastrophe. Racial emancipation seems to exist on a tangent to these concerns right this minute.

There is of course massive room for improvement in the futher integration of America, but if we get fixated on "milestones" to do with racial integration right now, in the race for the 2009-2012 Presidential designate, we may be losing focus on the point that our critically urgent task right now is to figure out how to avoid going collectively down the crapper - in the next 5-8 years. And in the interests of avoiding that end, I would prefer that our search for a chief executive keep a clear and cool distance from any and all concerns other than 100% fiscal competency - and not only fiscal competency, but also it's vital corrolary, the grit to impose hugely unpopular solutions upon the nation.

Does Obama have the spine to impose harsh solutions upon America? He is a man of compassion, very likely, and that is admirable. He is highly likely a lot more clever than the incumbent. But these are not always the types who can ignore pleas and entreaties from the nation in it's hour of crisis, and impose hard but salutary solutions upon the country. Of course the opposition is likely just as well to be singularly unsuited either, for different reason (their apparently unending fogginess generally, on the fiscal nature of the national emergency to begin with). However just because one appears as wobbly in the face of this gargantuan task as the other does not elevate either of them particularly, and the "emancipation" concern to me seems curiously secondary.

If we all go down the crapper shortly into an economic implosion, few will care whether we were emancipated en route to that destination.

It seems to me therefore we have less reason this time around, to get distracted by too much enthusiasm for the overcoming of racial milestones, because it really and truly does appear we are just a few national minutes removed from the nation's inflation beginning to go perpendicular in it's trajectory. Any other more "normal" election I could well understand the criticality of this milestone. But THIS particular election is right on the cusp of disaster for the US. You certainly don't need me to remind you of this, but I point it out: Ask any retiree on a fixed income today, once they've been apprised of your prognosis for a near 100% inflation of the currency across the next 8 years, what they believe the top priority issue is - They will tell you their top priority issue right now, is how not to have their pensions and savings vaporised in this coming 8 year span. They will likely also excuse themselves, but confess that whether we cross "milestones" for racial integration this particular year appears right now of less concern.
            Last edited by Contemptuous; August 27, 2008, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EJ View Post
              Why are they crying?

Watching the Democratic convention, even the journalists failed their attempts to appear impartial and emotionally distant. All are overtaken by historic events. America has in one bold stoke knocked down an outstanding offensive moral exclusion to the uniquely American idea of freedom we embarked on in 1776, an omission that nearly destroyed the nation 100 years later and has corrupted and depraved us ever since.

Never mind whether by Democrat or Republican party – congratulations. We have nominated man of African heritage as a candidate for President of the United States.

All social barriers are rooted in economic fallacy. As Milton Friedman said, “Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.”

There is plenty to go around, but only if we put our heads together. If we fight over only what exists today, and create exclusions to justify who gets resources limited only by our imaginations, prejudices, and fear, we will never see how we can grow the pie together.

America has grown strong by rewarding passion and invention, by freeing the passionate and inventive from the tyranny of kings.

All great inventions that change our world come from the heart. Many more barriers shall soon fall with the emotional and economic force of 100 industrial revolutions.
              This is not a time which calls for impartiality or rhetorical or emotional distance. We've an Administration and, by-and-large, a Congress and Judiciary, with little to no respect for the US Constitution. Many of us stand in awe that the process and the structure of our republic are so strong and still so robust that we are able to look beyond our current economic malaise and our recent downward spiral to reach out beyond our usual, cookie-cutter representatives to nominate a person with an apparent backbone and a sense of who we must be as a country to be relevant in the 21st Century. His colar and his ethnicity are historical footnotes. His passion for our uniquely American attributes and his questioning of our hubris reminds me of many great Americans. The challenges ahead will cut us no slack, will not care that we've broken through an offensive barrier, only that we choose leaders capable of better directing the country.

Comment

He's backed by some men I certainly respect. IF, and it's a big frickin IF, he zaps Bernacke and brings back Volker, we'll know the answers to this man's real motivations. I love men who look ahead WITH technological evolution. Obama is at least surrounded by forward thinkers. I don't subscribe to much of his platform; I guess I don't care because he's not Bush and he wouldn't go and hug the man like his competition.

I do not however like his VP choice at all.

Comment

I get a chuckle reading on an "investment" forum how a marxist is going to solve our economic problems. Frying pan into the fire. And I despise John McCain. But if Obama nixes the the wall street corruption, then I guess thats the lesser of two evils.

Comment

The biggest juxtaposition to me is that he is a constitutional law professor.:eek:

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Nickerson View Post
                      Was ist "verklempt"?

Verklempt ist kein Deutsches Wort, sondern es ist Jiddisch. Es bedeutet etwa wie "zu fast weinen."

Verklempt is not a German word...it's Yiddish. It means something along the lines of "to choke up/almost cry."

Comment

Not an endorsement of Obama as a candidate. I offer no opinion on him or McCain. Readers know that I believe that our political system has fallen prey to what I refer to as "systemic corruption" by the influence of FIRE Economy industries on our political system and that all politicians, not matter how well intended, are to a large extent captives of it. As evidence, consider the following story.
                        ABC Reporter Arrested in Denver Taking Pictures of Senators, Big Donors

by BRIAN ROSS - ABC News
                        Aug. 27, 2008

DENVER -- Police in Denver arrested an ABC News producer today as he and a camera crew were attempting to take pictures on a public sidewalk of Democratic senators and VIP donors leaving a private meeting at the Brown Palace Hotel.

Police on the scene refused to tell ABC lawyers the charges against the producer, Asa Eslocker, who works with the ABC News investigative unit. more...

That said, the importance of strong leadership cannot be underestimated, and the candidates for elected office that reveal through their actions a strong commitment to the ideals of political and economic freedom are working from a more advantageous starting point.

My comment explains the immediate emotional reaction to the nomination by not only Democrats and liberals in the crowd at the DNC and the sympathetic reporters covering it but Republicans and conservatives who were also covering the event on other stations. The reaction was, I believe, a mass expression of relief, as if a weight had been lifted that as weighed on the integrity of the idea of freedom in America for hundreds of years. In fact, the weight – the conception of limitations of men and women by race – has been dropping away bit by bit for decades and it only appears to have been shed suddenly with this one dramatic event.

My other point is that invisibly many similar limitations on the ability of humans to organize to solve problems of are falling around us, such as among the people of nations independent of their governments. Readers can expect more dramatic events in the future that reveal what can be done when limits that live in our collective minds are banished. The greatest era of international cooperation, among the world's people not its governments, is only just beginning.
                        Last edited by FRED; August 28, 2008, 10:01 AM.

Comment

...or perhaps the oligarchs and demagogues have no need for a race war at the moment.

How did Obama magically go from irrelevant to inevitable in what, 8 months? Easy: he sold out.

Comment

Originally posted by dcarrigg View Post
                            Verklempt ist kein Deutsches Wort, sondern es ist Jiddisch. Es bedeutet etwa wie "zu fast weinen."

Verklempt is not a German word...it's Yiddish. It means something along the lines of "to choke up/almost cry."
                            As in "Jim Cramer gets verklempt talking about Elliot Spitzer."

Comment

First presidency on NAFTA area by a descendant of African Slaves was also one at harsh times.

Vicente Guerrero

Why is that your government has downgraded ours on civil liberties when ours:

- Abolished open slavery 50 years before your government
                              - Had his first non European President in the second independent presidencial period

I know part of the guilt is due to the Porfirio Díaz regime, but it has just stuck with the image abroad.
                              sigpic
                              Attention: Electronics Engineer Learning Economics.

Comment

Working...
                              X