X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deputy Russian central bank chief dies after shooting

Deputy Russian central bank chief dies after shooting
    September 14, 2006 (Novosti)

The first deputy chairman of the Central Bank of Russia died Thursday morning after gunmen opened fire on him with automatic weapons late Wednesday, hospital officials said.

Andrei Kozlov, 41, was attacked as he left a sports stadium in Moscow. His bodyguard was killed and the banker had to undergo emergency surgery after he was shot in the head.

"The patient died early in the morning without regaining consciousness," a hospital source said.

At least two Russian dailies suggested Thursday morning that the attacks may have been connected to the Central Bank's campaign to clean up the banking sector. Kozlov, who was married with three children, was in charge of banking oversight and was considered to have taken a tough line. Around a dozen banks have had their licenses revoked this year for failing to comply with banking laws and Central Bank regulations, as well as for violating money laundering and financing of terrorism laws.

AntiSpin: Central banking can be a dangerous job in some countries. This sad event may put a crimp in Putin's big plans for the ruble, aimed at joining the yen, euro and the US Bonar as a world reserve currency.
    Last edited by FRED; September 14, 2006, 05:55 PM.
    Ed.

Re: Deputy Russian central bank chief dies after shooting

whatever happened to the gold dinar?

Comment

I get your point with the whole "not calling it a dollar" because it no longer resembles its former self, but "bonar"? Your one letter away from calling it a woody, which is what it sounds like even if you try to make it sound like dinar.
      It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Jack
        I get your point with the whole "not calling it a dollar" because it no longer resembles its former self, but "bonar"? Your one letter away from calling it a woody, which is what it sounds like even if you try to make it sound like dinar.
        Did you laugh when you read it?

Comment

It's not nice to laugh about a Central Banker being shot.

Comment

It's not nice to laugh about a Central Banker being shot.
            No, not about the banker. Thats horrific. I was responding to your question about the term Bonar.

Comment

Originally posted by EJ
              Did you laugh when you read it?
              I'm still laughing...and that woody comment above made me laugh harder. If that was the idea, you nailed it.

Comment

I'm just waiting to see if/when Putin starts requiring people to use a Ruble bourse to buy his country's oil.

Comment

I know you meant the boner, eh, I mean the bonar. Yeah, I chuckled.

Comment

I know you meant the boner, eh, I mean the bonar. Yeah, I chuckled.
                    Excellent. Then the name has exactly the connontation intended. US Bonar it is. We'll add it to the iTulip Glossary, now under construction.

Comment

Originally posted by EJ
                      Excellent. Then the name has exactly the connontation intended. US Bonar it is. We'll add it to the iTulip Glossary, now under construction.
                      The concerned look on my face is related to the Bonar possibly being confused with a hard asset... as opposed to something limp that needs to be pumped up... ;)

http://www.nowandfutures.com/grins/rimshot.mp3 ... and getting back in cage now.
                      http://www.NowAndTheFuture.com

Comment

Working...
                      X