Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Rogers thinks Warren Buffett is wrong about commodities

What do you think?

I am not sure that sugar, corn, wheat are going to go up in price, but I'm ready to be convinced.

My concern is that the famer lobby groups in America, Europe, even here in Canada, are very powerful. The respective governments subsidize agriculture, and that will never stop. Therefore, there's a chronic overproduction of agricultural goods.

I haven't seen this concern addressed by any commodity bull yet.

Comment

I don't buy the idea that commodity prices won't fall if the U.S. has a significant recession. Recessions (http://www.nber.org/cycles.html) cut demand for oil (http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/aer/pdf/pages/sec11_21.pdf), and other commodities.

I guess you can imagine a scenario where domestic demand in China compensates for a drop in demand from the U.S. But, the odds of things actually working out that way are slim. If marginal demand for Chinese goods and oil in the U.S. goes down and supply stays the same, prices are going to drop.

Comment

Rogers doesn't claim that demand doesn't fall in a recession. He claims that a demand/supply disequalibrium creates the inflation that causes the recession. Demand falls but the costs of production rise faster. Commodity prices rise. He doesn't say at what point commodity prices in the cycle are rising in real vs inflation adjusted terms, but who cares? Everything else that's dependent on low interest rates is going down in both real and inflation adjusted terms. The movie has played twice last century. Coming to an indebted nation run by a fiscally dysfunctional Congress near you.

I recommend you read his book.

Oh, and get us some free energy. We ain't got forever, ya know. Tick, tock. Tick, tock.

Comment

Rogers makes a lot of sense .

A. Farming takes a lot of oil - especially the farm produce we get from far- far away.. Remember, when you were a kid and cocanuts- and pineapples were a VERY special treat.

Ben B is on record as preferring to Print Money than to allow a deflation economic conditions. That leads you to believe that the Fed will pull out all stops to prevent deflation - leaving stagflation - and inflation. A US Dollar will buy less and less from the outside the US.

So, the cost of filling the diesel tractor, the cost of the petro based fertilizer, the cost of the trucking (distribution), the cost of keeping produce cool on its 1500 mile trip to the consumer, all these costs will increase.

Perhaps farm land in the Northeast will become more valuable as farm land than as tract housing?

Comment

I checked in to buying the Rogers Commodity Index Fund a couple weeks ago, but at that time, it was closed down due to a lawsuit. The current fund holders can't even get their money out! I don't know if Rogers is trustworthy now, or not. He apparently was not prudent in his selection of the middleman used for the transactions, and that company is in bankruptcy.

Anyway, Rogers makes sense, but don't forget, he is a salesman for his own commodities index fund.

How is it possible that commodities go up when demand declines in a recession? He gave examples, but I would like to hear what was different back then. Maybe in those past recessions, commodities demand was high in other countries. Now, in a global economy, we are interlinked. If US demand wanes, China's exports and demand for commodities wanes as well. 40% of China's exports are to the US. They are dependent on us for now.

Comment

Couple of doubts about what Mr Rogers said:

1/ He didn't explain why wheat and sugar will rise dramatically in future, as opposed to other commodities, other than by appealing to the fact they are far from their historic highs Well so is DRAM. It's not because no one can afford either wheat, sugar or DRAM right now - they are cheap because they are in abundance.

Now they can build more fabs but crops are different. Still ..

Why would they need to get back to those peaks. If it's the kind of inflation that Volcker fought, sugar and wheat will do just as well as all other commodities, no?

And if it's going to rise because of real demand, then why haven't we seen it already?

Maybe it's because he expects all those Asian workers to start eating cake at some point. But, surely they'd be doing this at about the same time as a fitness center or day spa opens in their village?

I guess the cost of producing wheat in this country might be in for a rise once fertilizer is no longer cheap (based on oil price - but Govt subsidized in many ways I think).

2/ Another reason to invest in commodities is to hedge the risk of a major decline in the dollar, such as by investing in raw materials produced by countries like Canada. There you get the double benefit of both the appreciation in prices of commodities Canada produces and an appreciation in the Canadian dollar relative the US dollar.

I don't see the double benefit to this.

I don't see how the fact that the commodity is produced in Canada makes a difference. The world price of lumber in USD might go up faster than the price in CAD (as the USD falls against the CAD),. but once I have paid for the lumber (in USD or CAD - doesn't matter which) I am still going to make the same amount of USD profit regardless of whether the lumber came from just north or just south of the border.

Or must one assume that the price of something like lumber will be driven by supply costs in the country of origin rather than demand? Such that if the CAD rises in value, the lumber price won't drop to reflect what the Chinese can pay, but will stay at the same CAD price because all those loggers have to be paid their usual bonuses?

Comment

I was kinda hoping someone would post a link or explain how government subsidies for wheat, corn, and sugar were going to go away, but I take the silence on the issue to mean they are not going away.

If the government continues subsidizing agriculture, it is foolish to think prices for wheat, corn, and sugar will rise like precious metals.

Comment

The Rogers Fund used refco as its commodities broker. When refco blew up, it was discovered that while the fund's money was supposed to be held in a segregated account, it wasn't. The fund ended up as an unsecured creditor. I don't know enough to comment about what kind of due diligence would have been required to uncover what was, in essence, fraud.

My problem with agricultural commodities is the variety of factors that drive them: weather, insects, input costs. Marc Faber has noted that if the Chinese just increase their level of coffee consumption not to that of Seattle residents, but merely to that of the Japanese, Taiwanese and Hong Kong residents, it means [some huge number] of increased coffee demand. I suppose so.

But PM's seem easier to analyze and a surer bet.

Comment

A better question will Government subsidies increase?

Delivery of agricultural product will be a huge added cost if we have a future with lots of inflation. So, the cost will rise because of all the costs involved in delivery.
                    Don't underestimate how the amount of produce United States imports as keep the cost of produce down. If it becomes incredibly expensive to ship pineapples from Africa (Dole has moved alot of the Pineapple production to africa - really cheap labor for picking fruit). Pineapple producers closer to the US can demand a higher price.

Higher fuel costs will eliminate the low cost soltution that depends on a cheap oil delivery network.

Perhaps inflation will help US based farmers?

Comment

Rogers is selling his commodities index fund. Prudent Bear its bear fund. Etc.

Rogers appears to have made a poor choice in Refco, but that doesn't make his ideas on commodities invalid. I give him a lot of credit for flying all over the planet and getting on the ground to see what's going on for himself to develop his beliefs. He didn't learn what he knows by sitting in his pajamas and surfing the web. As one who has logged a ot of miles, I respect a guy with his track record who still hits the road to see for himself what's going on before offering an opinion that will impact a lot of people. I do think he's really trying to help his audience make money from what he's learned. No, he's not an academic; he does want to make money. I trust him more rather than less for that. If I worry about anything re Rogers it's his optimism. He was rich by age 37. He worries for whom? Not himself. His kids? Yes, I think he worries for them and that motivates him.

Yes, he wants his fund to succeed but likely more for the sake of his invesors and his reputation than for his direct gain. I can only imagine that the choice of Refco is one of his greatest regrets. I didn't ask him about it out of respect, plus what can he say besides that it's in litigation? He's not the only one to suffer from Refco. He's in a long line with a lot of other experienced investors who believed as he did that Refco was legit. Because of that decision, he may never make much off of all his hard work to determine that commodities are the place to be for the next ten years. Ultimately, the measure of his integrity is how hard he works to get his investors' money back.

Comment

Thanks for the timely interview EJ. I was very curious as to his reaction to Buffet's comments on gold and commods. I completely buy into Rogers scenario of a long term bull market in commods.. I was disappointed that his prediction of an impending China slowdown that would have resulted in a nice setback and buying opportunity in commods didn't materialize... they just kept going with no setback so I missed adding to positions.

I think many are still confused over Kondtratieff winter, interest rates, linkage, and commods. Yes we will have a severe recession and depression and yes commodities will still soar.. just as they did in the 30's and just as they did in the 60's and 70's. Much of it is in the "inclination to hoard" which is the socionomic aspect of a bear market. How do you keeps some of your wealth that you made in the previous good times.

CM

Comment

it's interesting to note that Buffet is not bearish on wheat, but was more concerned about metals..

Comment

100% of the public company CEOs I know are pissed off about having a bunch of 28 year olds with their hands on piles of money telling them how to run their business. I bet Buffett is sympathetic. This is in my view behind most of his rants about hedge funds and derivatives, which he sees -- correctly -- as an aberration of an out-of-control debt market and bad for business generally and his business specifically. He's trying to make good bets on good companies. That's hard to do when perfectly well run albeit underpriced companies can be torpedoed by some kid with hundreds of millions of dollars to throw around. Since metals are now the subject of the same group of hot money market manipulators, he's leery. Just a guess.

Comment

Here's speculation about why Buffet didn't make money on Silver: http://www.investmentrarities.com/we...y05-08-06.html

Maybe this has something to do with Buffet's attitude.

Comment

Working...
                              X