Intentional image echo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intentional image echo?

So I'm looking at the image below from the Barack Obama campaign today for the first time and I'm thinking, I've seen that treatment somewhere before but where?

Then it hits me. Scroll down...

Is that intentional?
    Ed.

Re: Intentional image echo?

Fred that's very naughty. I love that iTulip editors get to be irreverent though. Down with Political Correctness !! And yes we should find more such mud to paste onto the Republicrat's sacred cows as well. Great fun!

Comment

standard stuff in some art circles, FRED.

Frank Miller did a couple of comics entirely in that style (no gray, no color), IIRC. Crumb, too.

It's also a standard exercise in some drawing schools to only draw solid black shapes, no boundary lines (the Obama art breaks the drawing-class convention/rule with the nasolabial folds).

Or are you asking about some symbolism you're seeing that I'm not?

Comment

Che would be laughting his ass off right now, Fidel too
        Mega

Comment

Originally posted by Lukester View Post
          Fred that's very naughty. I love that iTulip editors get to be irreverent though. Down with Political Correctness !! And yes we should find more such mud to paste onto the Republicrat's sacred cows as well. Great fun!
          In case you hadn't noticed, we are universally skeptical. That was at one time called "journalism." As Luce said, if it ain't pissing someone off, it's advertising.
          Ed.

Comment

Originally posted by FRED View Post
            That was at one time called "journalism." As Luce said, if it ain't pissing someone off, it's advertising.
            Amen to that. I pay my respects.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
              the Obama art breaks the drawing-class convention/rule with the nasolabial folds
              LOL !! iTulip could not post something like this without automatically engaging Spartacus' curiosity (and his ennui! There is 'nothing new on the net' for Spartacus).

Comment

standard stuff in some art circles, FRED.

Frank Miller did a couple of comics entirely in that style (no gray, no color), IIRC. Crumb, too.

It's also a standard exercise in some drawing schools to only draw solid black shapes, no boundary lines (the Obama art breaks the drawing-class convention/rule with the nasolabial folds).

Or are you asking about some symbolism you're seeing that I'm not?
                Point is, can you imagine Clinton or McCain marketed this way?
                Ed.

Comment

The Che image is definitely the most generally famous of that style, so people who've not been exposed to the same visuals as me could easily tie the 2 images together.

Originally posted by FRED View Post
                  Point is, can you imagine Clinton or McCain marketed this way?
                  The marketing angle was one of my thoughts as well - this appears to be good "edgy" imaging.

Definitely not Normal Rockwell stuff.

McCain might be able to use it but wouldn't, definitely not Mrs. Clinton - she's working hard to get more emotional and less tough.

As I wrote about Ron Paul positioning himself as an outsider who "could not win, but should" - that's a position lots of marketers would love to be in.

Politically, though, edgy can backfire.

Comment

definitely not Mrs. Clinton - she's working hard to get more emotional and less tough.
                    I would be 'working hard' to analyze Mrs. Clinton in these terms while maintaining a straight face. American politics in the 21st Century. Wondrous to behold. I think no other country can quite fathom our obsession with veneer and packaging. America is where we can discuss a candidate's 'packaging' with all the seriousness with which other nations discuss their candidate's actual causes. Ah ... America. Love it or leave it. :rolleyes:

Comment

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgur...26as_qdr%3Dall

the MLK graphic is from a more similar angle than the Che image.

Obama's facial expression reminded me of MLK with his mouth open during the "I have a dream ..." speech.

hmmmm .....

Comment

Rough version for EJ: ej.jpg

Comment

Working...
                        X