Reviews of Eric Janszen's Feb. 2008 Harper's Article: The Next Bubble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reviews of Eric Janszen's Feb. 2008 Harper's Article: The Next Bubble

This thread will track the best of the various reviews and coverage of EJ's cover article in the February issue of Harper's Magazine. Go here for information on how to get a copy of the magazine.

As One Economic Bubble Bursts, Another Takes Hold
    Jan. 15, 2008 (The Informed Reader, Wall Street Journal)

The next bubble in the U.S. economy should be taking hold right about now, entrepreneur and investor Eric Janszen writes in Harper’s Magazine.

After years in venture capital, Mr. Janszen now runs iTulip, an investment Web site premised on the idea that the financial sector has locked the U.S. into a damaging cycle of bubbles that are disconnected from the actual health of the economy. According to his theory, the finance, insurance and real-estate businesses survive by pouring capital into a sector, creating a self-fulfilling prophecy that asset prices will rise. When prices collapse back to their true value, financiers make up their losses by pouring capital into another sector and creating another bubble.

___

A Coming Bubble in Alternative Energy?

Jan. 14, 2008 (Business Insight Zone, Hoover's)

As a member of a venture-capital firm that invested in technology companies in the late 1990s, Janszen had a front-row seat for the dot-com boom and bust. He also writes engagingly, and he offers a clear narrative of post-WW2 economic cycles — clear along a certain line of analysis, anyway. On the other hand, his business is to make contrarian, bubble-oriented economic analyses, and in his treatment alternative energy — or, I should say, the market in it — becomes a punching bag.

___

Necessary Bubbles
    Jan. 14, 2008 (Marginal Utility, Pop Matters)

In the most recent Harper’s former VC honcho Eric Janszen puts an apocalyptic spin on this thesis, claiming that the American economy has replaced the business cycle, the bugaboo of economies past, with a hyperaccelerated bubble cycle.

____

As One Economic Bubble Bursts, Another Takes Hold
    Jan. 16, 2008 (Gmercu.com)

The next bubble in the U.S. economy should be taking hold right about now, entrepreneur and investor Eric Janszen writes in Harper’s Magazine.

After years in venture capital, Mr. Janszen now runs iTulip, an investment Web site premised on the idea that the financial sector has locked the U.S. into a damaging cycle of bubbles that are disconnected from the actual health of the economy. According to his theory, the finance, insurance and real-estate businesses survive by pouring capital into a sector, creating a self-fulfilling prophecy that asset prices will rise. When prices collapse back to their true value, financiers make up their losses by pouring capital into another sector and creating another bubble.

____

The Next Market Bubble is Here Already
    January 17, 2008 (Seattlest)

The mass insanity of the housing bubble over the last few years has pretty fully revealed itself by now. One need only visit our good friends over at Seattle Bubble to read about the increasing devastation. On Jan. 15, Tim posted the big news: according to the Northwest Multiple Listing Service (NWMLS), King Co. finally posted negative year-over-year median closing prices on housing. According to the same report, active listings are up in the YOY comparison (51%) and pending sales are down (by 33% YOY), both records. In other words, the market is flooded, demand is down, and housing prices are falling.
    Last edited by FRED; January 17, 2008, 06:34 PM.
    Ed.

Re: Reviews of Eric Janszen's Feb. 2008 Harper's Article: The Next Bubble

My favorite sentence you wrote has to be this.

Finally, the industry must be popular,
    its name on the lips of government policymakers
    and journalists. It should be familiar to those
    who watch television news or read newspapers.
    The start of an alternative energy bubble leading into and supporting
    acceleration of an infrastructure expansion was well written.

Comment

Originally posted by FRED View Post
      This thread will track the various reviews and coverage of EJ's cover article in the February issue of Harper's Magazine. Go here for information on how to get a copy of the magazine.
      Fred,

When you first mentioned this article coming out and the offer of copies for subscribers, you asked for our addresses. I posted asking if you wanted a PM or some other format. As far as I know, still no answer.

Are copies avaliable for current (not just new) subscribers? Do you have my (our) addresses on file? If not, how do you want us to get them to you. I'm still looking forward to reading the article.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Andreuccio View Post
        Fred,

When you first mentioned this article coming out and the offer of copies for subscribers, you asked for our addresses. I posted asking if you wanted a PM or some other format. As far as I know, still no answer.

Are copies avaliable for current (not just new) subscribers? Do you have my (our) addresses on file? If not, how do you want us to get them to you. I'm still looking forward to reading the article.

Thanks.
        Your print issue will be on its way shortly. Subscribers will be notified when the print issue goes out.
        Ed.

Comment

Originally posted by FRED View Post
          Your print issue will be on its way shortly. Subscribers will be notified when the print issue goes out.
          Thanks very much!

Comment

Working...
          X