Toward an Independent Money System - The Role of Gold and Silver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toward an Independent Money System - The Role of Gold and Silver

Toward an Independent Money System - The Role of Gold and Silver by Tom Greco

For several reasons which I’ve explained before, I don’t see silver or gold as viable exchange media, but I DO see them as:
    1. a useful store of value and inflation hedge, and
    2. possibly serving as non-political, concrete measures of value and units of account. I would prefer a “market basket” of commodities for that purpose but, as I told the Gold Dinar conference in Malaysia in July 2007 (http://www.reinventingmoney.com/docu...ysia+sound.pps), precious metals might serve as interim standards.
    When the global financial crisis reaches the acute stage, we can be sure that the international banking establishment will come forward to offer their own “solution,” which in reality will effect a further tightening of the chains upon the people. At that point, we need to be ready with a real solution.

That real solution, in my opinion, will be an extensive (eventually, global) network of locally controlled credit clearing exchanges that will be using an independent unit of account. That unit could perhaps be a specified weight of silver, and what better weight specification than the silver content of the U.S. dollar as specified in the original coinage act of the U.S. Congress, i.e., 371.25 grains of fine silver. That unit should appeal to widely diverse political and economic viewpoints in the U.S., as well as internationally.

A silver coin minted to that specification would be useful in establishing that standard. It need not be used in daily commerce, but it will be traded sufficiently to establish its value on a daily basis relative to political currencies like the Federal Reserve dollar, the euro, the yen, etc.
    From one of the comments there

What about the Libertatums as “minted” by Freedom Force International?
    http://www.freedom-force.org/freedom...ion=incentives
Working...
X