How to make $301% in six years with low volatility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make $301% in six years with low volatility

Buy gold then do as follows–carefully, chronically, and religiously: nothing

The bank note to the left is a 10 yuan note from the National Coinage of the Republic of China printed in 1914 by the Bank of Communications. I picked it up on a visit to Taiwan in the late 1990s. More on that note and how it fits into today's story later.

In keeping with my "less is more" and "keep it simple" New Year's resolutions, here's how our attentive readers made $301% since 2001:

Step 1: Buy gold (see Questioning Fashionable Financial Advice, Sept. 2001)
    Step 2: Do nothing

As it turns out, the hardest part of following through on any investment thesis is Step 2. We've lost track of how many readers have written in over the years asking, "You guys have not said much about gold since 2001 except that "What gold bubble?" piece you wrote in Oct. 2006 when many were fretting about the rapid price rise. When are you going to sell?"

We have been asked this question every couple of weeks for the past six years. It's reasonable to assume that for every person who writes in to ask, 100 wonder about it but do not write in, and of the 100 who have been aware of iTulip's arguments since 2001, a million are not aware and instead have been fretting all this time about "deflation," by which they mean all-goods and services price deflation resulting from a decline in the money supply and the velocity of money, but not to be confused with a debt deflation, which is, in fact, happening. Incredibly, there are millions who continue to fret about "deflation." Their numbers are declining as the reality around them begins to sink in. Today I'll try to put a nail in the coffin of this absurd idea.

Can a run-away monetary "deflation" happen in a world of floating exchange rates and no gold standard? No. Just the opposite.

As we have said ad nauseum since 2001: governments inflate their way out of debt deflation trouble. Always have, always will. The one (count 'em: one) exception was the 1930s asset price and commodity price deflation in the US. It was nearly instantly ended in 1933 when FDR took the US off the gold standard and the dollar money supply was inflated by the Fed (see the image to the left that we extracted from a Fed working presentation). The rapid inflation was created even though thousands of banks had failed. So much for the idea that central banks can't create inflation when the banking system is broken. They can. What they can't do is create money and have it go where they want it to go, nor can a central bank guarantee the foreign purchasing power of a deflated currency. Fact is, as long as a central bank is not constrained by the gold standard, it can increase its balance sheet more or less infinitely.

The only other case of an all-goods price deflation since central banks stopped using gold for either international trade or internal money backing was in Japan as a consequence of the Bank of Japan's bungling of their asset price and debt deflation. Note that the BoJ raised rates from 4.25% to 6% between Dec. 25, 1989 and Aug. 30, 1990, while the NIKKEI fell from 38,916 to 24,166. That's like the Fed raising rates starting March 2008 from 4.25% to 6% in August 2008 while the DOW falls from 13,100 to 8,700. Every reader who believes the Fed will do this, please raise your hand. Anyone? Nobody?

Discount Rate: Japan 1980 - 2007
    Bank of Japan raises rates before and during the debt deflation

BoJ raises rates from 4.25% to 6% even as the NiKKEI falls 33%

Even then, the "deflation" in Japan was never more than 2% in any year, and all the poor "deflating" Japanese economy was able to do during its "lost decade" was take over the US auto industry as the US economy "boomed" with Toyota last year replacing General Motors as the largest auto maker in the world. Lesson learned: don't raise interest rates during a debt deflation, stupid. (In case you are wondering why the BoJ kept rates so high for so long when the US experience in the 1930s provided clear instruction against it, the answer is: to help get Ronald Reagan elected, but that's a tale for another day.)

If not deflation, then hyperinflation?

The US is not on the gold standard so a 1930s style deflation is impossible. The Fed even before Bernanke was hired repeatedly stated (as in the presentation we got the image from) that the Fed will not sit by and allow inflation to fall below zero, so a repeat of the Japanese 1990s "deflation" experience is about zero, unless the Fed decides to crash the US economy on purpose on behalf of some external political entity–and that ain't how we operate.

Besides the 1930s depression in the US and the self-inflicted ongoing debt deflation in Japan, every other instance when a government, its politicians, and their voters have gotten themselves in as much credit driven hot water as the US is in today has done one thing, and over and over. In fact, while the world experienced two (2) deflationary episodes in the past century, how many debt deflations resulted in currency depreciation and all-goods price inflation? The answer: 17.
    • Germany 1920 - 1923: 3.25 million percent
    • Russia 1921 - 1924: 213 percent
    • Austria 1921 - 1922: 134 percent
    • Poland 1922 - 1924: 275 percent
    • Hungary 1922 - 1924: 98 percent
    • Greece 1943 - 1944: 8.55 billion percent
    • Hungary 1945 - 1946: 4.19 quintillion percent
    • Shanghai 1949 - 1950: 100 percent
    • Argentina 1984 - 1991: 5000 percent
    • Brazil 1984 - 1997: 5 trillion percent
    • Chile 1973: 600 percent
    • Bolivia 1984: 14,700 percent
    • Peru 1981 - 1989: 900 percent
    • Poland 1989 - 1990: 344 percent
    • Russia 1992 - 1995: 2,323 percent
    • Ukraine 1991 - 1994: 10,000 percent
    • Yugoslavia 1993 - 94: 1 trillion percent

I'm leaving off many minor examples, and that is just in the past 90 years. Go back centuries and several dozens of examples can be cited. Yet the one instance of a runaway price "deflation" in the 1930s becomes for some the model for a modern, post credit bubble US debt deflation. Bizarre.

Will the US experience a hyperinflation? No, that is also very unlikely to occur. Unlike the nations listed above, none had a currency that was a reserve currency. All were politically and economically isolated at the time they suffered the economic shock that set off the hyperinflation. We explored the idea of a technical hyperinflation (more than 100% over five years) in the early 2005 with the article Inflation is Dead! Long Live Inflation!. But for that to happen, US trade partners will have to repudiate economic and political ties to the US and abandon the dollar. That strikes us highly unlikely, unless President Bush canceled the Constititution and declared himself President for Life. Then maybe we'd have a dollar hyperinflation. So, as we explored in 2006 in Can the U.S.A. have a "Peso Problem"?, we do not expect a dollar hyperinflation but rather a period of higher than normal inflation but not as high as Mexico's nor as high as we floated out in our 2005 trial balloon back when many were still wringing their hands about deflation. Our best estimate at this point, as we approach the nexus of the debt deflation crisis, is peak inflation rates of 6% to 9% annual CPI-U or 9% to 12% in pre-1983 inflation measures.

The best reads on this topic that I can recommend are the IMF's Realities of Modern Hyperinflation: Despite falling inflation rates worldwide, hyperinflation can happen again (pdf), the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis Research Department Staff Report 331 Deflation and Depression: Is There an Empirical Link? (PDF), and Daniel Leigh's Japan's Monetary Policy and the Dangers of Deflation: Lessons from Japan (PDF) for those who'd like to read some of the best background reading that we have used over the years.

When to Sell?

When the conditions we spelled out in 2001 and since then as reasons to own gold are no longer true; when events occur that cause a common share in USA, Inc. to increase in value. Requires the resolution of the following problems with USA, Inc.'s business model:
    • Excessive dependence on the finance, insurance, and real estate sector for economic growth
    • Excessive dependence on government and household debt
    • Excessive dependence on government spending and employment
    • Excessive dependence on politically motivated foreign borrowing
    • Excessive dependence on money growth
    • Excessive dependence on foreign energy supplies
    • Excessive dependence on dollar depreciation to forestall recession
    • Poor distribution of household wealth, income, and liquidity

We've tried to explain this 100 different ways over the past decade to our friends in the business who are somehow stuck on the idea that it's still 1932 when the US was on the gold standard or 1970 when the world was still on an international gold standard. No run-away deflations since then. This is not a coincidence.

If you understood the foregoing and purchased gold in 2001 and did nothing since then versus purchasing an equal value of the DOW, here is where you'd be. High returns with low volatility are what investors dream about, but as I look over the plethora of Year in Review coverage of the markets, I don't see this point highlighted anywhere.

Big returns, low volatility: Gold returns 12 times the DOW

As an entrepreneur who relies on the viability of USA, Inc. to succeed in business, as a believer in the wisdom of markets over governments most of the time, not to mention my love of my country, I'd prefer the data above to not be so; I don't like gold to be doing well. Its rise is a symptom of dysfunction.

A closer look at the 10 yuan note from 1914 reveals an interesting fact about the relationships among westernized banks in a global economy. The notes were printed by the American Bank Note Company of New York. The Chinese invented printing, so I doubt the challenge was technical. Today, US currency could easily be printed more cheaply in China. Yet somehow I don't think that is likely to happen. Still, when globalization is working, as it was up until the early 1930s, central bank cooperation is high, and the result of that cooperation is well managed currencies, interest rates, and inflation. When those relationships break down–watch out.

Chinese currency during Globalization Version 1.0: Made in USA

(Click to see the note close up.)

The San José State University Department of Economics has this to say about the Chinese state banks of that era:
    A state bank for China, called the Hu-pu (Board of Revenue) Bank, was established in 1905. By 1907 two other government banks, the Bank of China and the Bank of Communications, were established and authorized to issue bank notes. The imperial government and all subsequent governments looked upon these banks as vehicles for creating money for the government to use to cover its deficits or for any other reason. There were severe penalties imposed for anyone discounting provincial government banknotes.

Despite attempts on the part of governments to abuse their control of the banking system, the banks were able to resist these attempts until the 1930's and the war with Japan.
    Put away your calculators, money supply counters. It's all about politics. Always has been, and always will be. Don't bother looking at the money supply and inflation statistics; they are not going to be valid when you need them to be because governments cannot play the inflation game in full view. Also remember that "inflation" comes from the Latin word means "blowing up," a succinct characterization of current events.

In closing, one of our readers posted excerpts from Peter Schiff's more recent articles which are beginning to convey similar points as we have been making here. I'd like to welcome Peter to the inflation camp. My only word of warning is that riding gold's post stock bubble reflation curve from $265 in 2001 to $850 today was a lot more predictable and less hair raising then the coming events. At some point central banks are going to have to put the hammer down. The challenge from here is reading the signs that policy is going to change. As things stand, evidence for change is scant, but the need is growing. In the mean time, we'll be keeping an eye out for the Next Bubble.

iTulip Select: The Investment Thesis for the Next Cycle™
    __________________________________________________ For the safest, lowest cost way to buy and trade gold, see The Bullionvault

To receive the iTulip Newsletter or iTulip Alerts, Join our FREE Email Mailing List

Copyright © iTulip, Inc. 1998 - 2007 All Rights Reserved

All information provided "as is" for informational purposes only, not intended for trading purposes or advice.
    Nothing appearing on this website should be considered a recommendation to buy or to sell any security or related financial instrument. iTulip, Inc. is not liable for any informational errors, incompleteness, or delays, or for any actions taken in reliance on information contained herein. Full Disclaimer
    Last edited by FRED; January 12, 2009, 10:04 PM.

Re: How to make $315% in six years with low volatility

Originally posted by EJ View Post
    The US is not on the gold standard so a 1930s style deflation is impossible. The Fed even before Bernanke was hired repeatedly stated (as in the presentation we got the image from) that the Fed will not sit by and allow inflation to fall below zero.

Besides the 1930s depression in the US and the self-inflicted ongoing debt deflation in Japan, every other instance when a government, its politicians, and their voters have gotten themselves in as much credit driven hot water as the US is in today has done one thing, and over and over. In fact, while the world experienced two (2) deflationary episodes in the past century, how many debt deflations resulted in currency depreciation and all-goods price inflation? The answer:

Germany 1920 - 1923: 3.25 million percent
    Russia 1921 - 1924: 213 percent
    Austria 1921 - 1922: 134 percent
    Poland 1922 - 1924: 275 percent
    Hungary 1922 - 1924: 98 percent
    Greece 1943 - 1944: 8.55 billion percent
    Hungary 1945 - 1946: 4.19 quintillion percent
    Shanghai 1949 - 1950: 100 percent
    Argentina 1984 - 1991: 5000 percent
    Brazil 1984 - 1997: 5 trillion percent
    Chile 1973: 600 percent
    Bolivia 1984: 14,700 percent
    Peru 1981 - 1989: 900 percent
    Poland 1989 - 1990: 344 percent
    Russia 1992 - 1995: 2,323 percent
    Ukraine 1991 - 1994: 10,000 percent
    Yugoslavia 1993 - 94: 1 trillion percent
    My hunch is that most if not all of these have one other thing in common with the two deflationary 'anomalies': goods price deflation in gold terms. In the early 1930s, gold bought more stuff than it did in the '20s. It also happened to have a paper cousin called the dollar that enjoyed this boost in buying power (for a while).

I don't have the data, but I would bet that the buying power of gold increased during the above cited hyperinflations, just as it did in the depression. The paper currencies just didn't take the ride up like the pre-confiscation gold-pegged dollar did. I bet you could get more goods for an ounce of gold in 1922 Weimar Germany than you could have before the crisis started.

Likewise, the gold I bought 2 1/2 years ago now buys almost twice as much stuff as it did then.

Comment

"be right and sit tight" - famous words from jesse livermore. it's going to be harder and harder to sit tight as gold gets more volatile, so position sizing is important. i.e. find a position with a size [and consequently with volatility] you can live with.

jesse livermore:
      “And right here let me say one thing: After spending many years in Wall Street and after making and losing millions of dollars I want to tell you this: It never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It always was my sitting. Got that? My sitting tight! It is no trick at all to be right on the market. You always find lots of early bulls in bull markets and early bears in bear markets. I’ve known many men who were right at exactly the right time, and began buying and selling stocks when prices were at the very level which should show the greatest profit. And their experience invariably matched mine – that is, they made no real money out of it. Men who can both be right and sit tight are uncommon. I found it one of the hardest things to learn. But it is only after a stock operator has firmly grasped this that he can make big money. It is literally true that millions come easier to a trader after he knows how to trade than hundreds did in the days of his ignorance.”

Comment

Nice piece, but I can't help but ask: why does it matter if the US experiences price deflation or not? The flight out of US financial economy and else where (and into gold) will just tank the dollar and levitate gold (in dollars and in absolute terms). It's already happening.

Of course, this scenario makes it unlikely that we'll be even remotely close to a genuine CPI deflation; so much of the CPI components are imported (by design) that a dollar decline or even just repegging by certain foreigners will cause prince index inflation---dollar monetary base be damned.

There is one way the Ministry of Truth apparatchiks could fight back... they could reverse the cockeyed weighting of domestic services (health care, education, etc.) and house prices/OER vs. consumer goods, achieving the desired outcome as the former begins to fall and the latter rises.

Can I get a cozy government pension job for that idea? (Oh to be an early-receiver of inflation!)

Comment

I believe that this time we have a completely new situation that takes us beyond any previous period of inflation. What has happened during the last decade in particular is that Western monetary authorities, particularly the FED, European Bank and the Bank of England, have lost control of their primary tool; the creation of new money. In the past, before big bang, the only way the banking system could add new money to the system was through the central banks effectively "printing" new money. What has happened is that their enthusiasm for the short term benefits of the expansion of the banking system into the world of hedge funds has blinded them to the perils.

What everyone could see, but either failed to acknowledge, or, refused to believe, was that, in allowing the hedge funds to take the already leveraged funds of the ordinary, normal banking system, (the savers $1 lent out to borrowers say, 7 or 8 times), and, by turning a blind eye to the fact that the hedge funds in turn were creating a, Quote "Wall of Money" Unquote, by taking the already leveraged normal bank loan and again leveraging that another 15 or 20 times...... in the process spewing out all those lovely CDO's.......... that the CDO's were in fact new money.

The hedge funds have been issuing completely new money into the banking system.

And not just new money, but 15 or 20 times more new money than the system was designed to cope with; and not temporarily, just for a week or two, but for nearly a decade, year in year out. THAT was the first problem, but it gets worse, much, much worse.

The second problem, (the one no one is talking about), is that the governments' at the heart of the system here in the West, must have, I repeat, must have..... bought CDO's. Our governments are as deep in the mess as anyone.

So the third problem is obvious, the true value of the CDO's cannot be more than the true value of the original money in the system BEFORE they were issued. So the true imbalance is the full value increase in asset values since this new money creation process started.

That leads us to the fourth problem which we can see happening right in front of our eyes. In trying to prevent a complete collapse, the central banking system is trying to prevent the collapse of the new asset values back to normal values by replacing the valueless CDO's with new issued money in the old traditional sense. They are printing money on a scale never ever seen before.

There is no way out of this. Common sense tells us that we either have a collapse of asset values, or we have inflation in the only "real" assets worth holding in such times, Gold, Oil, Food, and all those very tangible assets that are normally the base against which the whole banking system is lodged up beside for stability.

The central banks have shown their hands by taking the inflationary route and it will be quite some time before the overall effects stabilise. My guess will place a timescale of two or three years before we can be certain that we will have hit full bottom. In any other circumstances, cash is very certainly king in the resulting Downwave and Robert Beckman, author of The Downwave has at long last been vindicated. The Downwave has started. But, if Beckman is correct in his assumptions, house and land prices will return to pre 1939 values. But as others have already noted, this time holding cash as currency is not possible as the underlying problem is the collapse of the banking system and thus the value of the currency.

Now we have a quite different problem to address, the hedge funds are still there doing their thing, leveraging away as fast as the central banks are trying to stem the depreciation by inflating the system. We do not have closure on the first problem. I have not heard anyone suggesting that the central banks must stop the hedge funds from creating new money to allow the central banking system to catch up.

As long as the hedge funds can continue to leverage, the primary problem remains. There cannot be closure, the overall problem will remain.

As I see it, we might expect to see the price of gold itself become leveraged 15 or 20 times to replace the loss in the overall system and in that case….. Gold might well reach $8,000.

Food for thought?

Comment

Sort of a tangential question, but does anyone think that the 24/7/365 'Always On' nature of today's financial 'news' channels and the Internet has changed the nature of the bubbles themselves - to be more bubbilicious than previously?

Especially since everyone can now trade from the comfort of their own living room.

I've got a hunch that if people really do get scared and/or suffer economically the predicted bubble in hard assets may outstrip what we've seen previously. Like I said, just a hunch - I've got nothing to back it with.

Comment

the FED's irrational fear of deflation,
              that asymmetric response which responds

(ka) dramatically and violently to deflation threats
              (POOM) lukewarmly to inflation threats

is what ka-POOM relies on for the POOM to be POOM, not poom. That's my reading of Eric's thesis.

Originally posted by akrowne View Post
              Nice piece, but I can't help but ask: why does it matter if the US experiences price deflation or not? The flight out of US financial economy and else where (and into gold) will just tank the dollar and levitate gold (in dollars and in absolute terms). It's already happening.

Can I get a cozy government pension job for that idea? (Oh to be an early-receiver of inflation!)

Comment

Originally posted by WDCRob View Post
                Sort of a tangential question, but does anyone think that the 24/7/365 'Always On' nature of today's financial 'news' channels and the Internet has changed the nature of the bubbles themselves - to be more bubbilicious than previously?

Especially since everyone can now trade from the comfort of their own living room.

I've got a hunch that if people really do get scared and/or suffer economically the predicted bubble in hard assets may outstrip what we've seen previously. Like I said, just a hunch - I've got nothing to back it with.
                My observation of the 24/7/365 "Bubblevision" phenomena is it's focussed primarily on the past bubbles. They spent most of this year promoting the return of tech and agonizing about whether a bottom had been reached in the homebuilders and financials. Very few will figure out what the next bubble is until it's pretty well over.

As EJ points out:
                Originally posted by EJ View Post
                ...High returns with low volatility are what investors dream about, but as I look over the plethora of Year in Review coverage of the markets, I don't see this point highlighted anywhere...

Comment

Nice piece, but I can't help but ask: why does it matter if the US experiences price deflation or not?
                  because you can't say like mish does "it's going to get really cold, so wear a bathing suit and a parka". you can't have it both ways. either you are hedging deflation... prechter's bull market in cash... or you aren't. tho i understand the weasel words. these guys have reps to protect. but mish has repeated said the bottom of the dollar is in and then in the next breath to buy gold. don't make sense.

The flight out of US financial economy and else where (and into gold) will just tank the dollar and levitate gold (in dollars and in absolute terms). It's already happening.
                  nope. this is the second round. ej and the rest of us already caught round 1. looks like we go right into round 2 without a disinflation intermission.

Of course, this scenario makes it unlikely that we'll be even remotely close to a genuine CPI deflation; so much of the CPI components are imported (by design) that a dollar decline or even just repegging by certain foreigners will cause prince index inflation---dollar monetary base be damned.
                  huh? deflation = negative inflation = minus cpi. any other reference to "deflation" is double talk bullshit.

There is one way the Ministry of Truth apparatchiks could fight back... they could reverse the cockeyed weighting of domestic services (health care, education, etc.) and house prices/OER vs. consumer goods, achieving the desired outcome as the former begins to fall and the latter rises.
                  they been faking and will keep faking. cpi = 20% over 6 yrs plus while gold is up 300%? riiiiiiiight.

welcome to argentina. but... hey, that's my guaranteed gummit job. now get in line!

Comment

Originally posted by GRG55 View Post
                    My observation of the 24/7/365 "Bubblevision" phenomena is it's focussed primarily on the past bubbles. They spent most of this year promoting the return of tech and agonizing about whether a bottom had been reached in the homebuilders and financials. Very few will figure out what the next bubble is until it's pretty well over.
                    GRG55, I think WDCRob meant that the media adds air to the bubbles while they are rising, not that they ever recognize them as bubbles. It's a Boom, a New Era, a Paradigm Shift to a Permanent Plateau until it's obvious that it's over and they start calling the bottom.

Comment

You expect healthcare and education to fall? No way.

Continued rigging of the CPI will require unprecedented creativity, but our brave men and women in Washington are up to the task. Maybe they can add a "sour grapes" clause: If we don't like the prices of the goods in our basket, we'll just use a different basket! They've already compared hamburger to steak, so why not a 900sf apartment to a 1000sf apartment, a used car to a new car, or University of Phoenix to Yale? Comparing apples to apples is soooo 20th century.

Comment

MARK HULBERT
                        Stocks look better than gold for 2008
                        Commentary: Contrarians bet equities will outshine gold

By Mark Hulbert, MarketWatch
                        Last update: 9:27 p.m. EST Jan. 1, 2008

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...0D2339064BA%7D
                        Jim 69 y/o

"...Texans...the lowest form of white man there is." Robert Duvall, as Al Sieber, in "Geronimo." (see "Location" for examples.)

Dedicated to the idea that all people deserve a chance for a healthy productive life. B&M Gates Fdn.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. Unknown.

Comment

As I see it the record is clear, the one thing that drives the whole edifice is access to credit. You need a letter of credit to export, or import, or you again must have access to credit for working capital..... whatever you do industrially, you must have access to credit. So with the credit markets locked solid and with the banks themselves unable to lend to each other, then the expectation of industrial growth is wishful thinking. In my opinion, stock markets are going to be severely hampered by the difficulties of some sectors, not every sector, but some, will be unable to gain normal access to credit and will stall.

I repeat, this is not a normal event. Do not expect normality in anything.

From the Times
                          January 3, 2008

Another rate cut imminent as new orders slump to two-year low

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle3123562.ece

Comment

Originally posted by jimmygu3 View Post
                            GRG55, I think WDCRob meant that the media adds air to the bubbles while they are rising, not that they ever recognize them as bubbles. It's a Boom, a New Era, a Paradigm Shift to a Permanent Plateau until it's obvious that it's over and they start calling the bottom.
                            And my view is, again, that the media remains focussed on the past bubble(s) and doesn't participate in the new one until it's pretty well over. Isn't that why the smart money exits the bubble asset class when the story hits Page One?

I suppose one could believe that the media played a role inflating the housing bubble, to use the most recent experience. Perhaps the final blow-off stage of bubbles is aided by the media, but I think the housing bubble example was pretty well fully inflated about the time the cover stories finally started to appear in 2005.

Comment

In response to a question on a previous post, you indicated that you were going to sell some of your gold holdings when it reached $850. Did you do so yesterday?

Comment

Working...
                              X