"No such thing as idle cash on the sidelines": a dumb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "No such thing as idle cash on the sidelines": a dumb question

John Hussman points out (http://www.hussman.net/wmc/wmc060710.htm)
    "And when you go to put your “cash on the sidelines” to work, what really happens is that your money market securities (T-bills, commercial paper, etc) now have to be sold to someone else. And at that moment, the cash on the sidelines that you had suddenly becomes somebody else's cash on the sidelines. And that same amount of cash on the sidelines will continue to exist until the borrowers pay it off."
    Mish Shedlock (http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogsp...s_archive.html) similarly says:
    "The simple reason there is no such thing as "sideline cash" is as follows:
    For every buyer there is a seller so the net result will almost always be cash on the sidelines.
    Think about it. If there is $1B in sideline cash and that buyer buys, the seller will be sitting on exactly $1B in sideline cash.
    There are exceptions to this of course, otherwise sideline cash would be a constant.
    Those exceptions are IPOs (it takes real cash to buy an IPO), and corporate profits (profits sit as sideline cash until they are invested for expansions or mergers)."

My dumb question is: Isn't what's relevant the question of demand vs. supply? In other words, when the media says there are "more buyers than sellers", what they are really saying is that there are more would-be buyers than would-be sellers at a given price (ie demand vs supply), because, of course, the number of actual buyers must always equal the number of actual sellers. In the same way, shouldn't the role of cash coming into the system vs. cash going out be viewed as representing demand or supply pressure (with consequences on price movement) rather than something meaningless?
    Somewhat academic question but am trying to improve my understanding on what is probably a pretty trivial question for most people on this forum.
    Thanks!

Re: "No such thing as idle cash on the sidelines": a dumb question

Cash on the sidelines just means lots of investment in short term, low risk bonds I think.

The big thing now a days is laddered investments. Basically, because of the small spreads on the curves, your broker can get you into a fund where you can get money market type flexibility and risk, but returns that are close to real bonds.

I think another reason is because a lot of people are keeping their cash "on the sidelines" so these funds are fairly stable and banks are able to get pretty good return on them.

Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong..

Comment

the quantity of short term treasuries is determined by the government when it decides the term structure of its fundings. so that quantity doesn't change when someone sells tbills and buys, e.g., equities. the ownership of the short term instruments changes, but not the quantity.

the quantity of commercial paper is determined by the issuers, who presumably have made an evaluation of the readiness of the market to accept their issues. if there is an increased desire for short term paper, private companies will be happy to oblige. if those eager for commercial paper would in somewhat more secure times buy corporate bonds, that makes a difference. similarly, if there are buyers of corporate bonds who in more secure times would be buyers of newly issued equity, that makes a difference.

in aggregate, then, if there is a shift in desirability from risky instruments to less risky instruments, the size and quantity of ipo's will decline, and the desire for shorter term debt instruments will rise. i think this increase in short term commercial paper at the expense of new issue equity might accurately be described as money "on the sidelines."

this is the only sensible interpretation of that phrase that i can come up with. i'm open to hearing it is nonsense, however, since i just made it up.

Comment

Too complicated.

If you buy stock, you trade cash for that stock.
        The person who sold you the stock now has your cash.

No cash from the "sidelines" was put to work to drive up prices. The cash simply went from your "sidelines" to someone else's "sidelines." The notion that there is a bunch of cash on the sidelines is as silly as saying "the market sold off today on profit taking, or stocks rose as oil prices declined today."
        It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye!

Comment

Working...
        X