is it illegal for foreign visitors to the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it illegal for foreign visitors to the US

to provide labor on a presidential campaign?

Just curious ....

Re: is it illegal for foreign visitors to the US

From Foreign Nationals

Volunteer Activity

Generally, an individual may volunteer personal services to a federal candidate or federal political committee without making a contribution. The Act provides this volunteer "exemption" as long as the individual performing the service is not compensated by anyone. 11 CFR 100.74. The Commission has addressed applicability of this exemption to volunteer activity by a foreign national, as explained below.

In Advisory Opinion 1987-25, the Commission allowed a foreign national student to provide uncompensated volunteer services to a Presidential campaign. By contrast, the decision in AO 1981-51 prohibited a foreign national artist from donating his services in connection with fundraising for a Senate campaign. [2]
    From this above extract and the links therein, I would opine that it all depends upon how such a volunteer is described and how the description of his/her services is worded!
    Last edited by Rajiv; November 28, 2007, 04:21 PM.

Comment

I'm not in a situation to do it easily and besides, it's probably a very bad idea -

most people take it quite badly when foreigners comment on internal affairs, and foreign workers could backfire on a campaign (although Frum never seemed to hurt the Neocon cause).

Originally posted by Rajiv View Post
      From Foreign Nationals

From this above extract and the links therein, I would opine that it all depends upon who such a volunteer is described and how the description of his/her services is worded!

Comment

I think the main restriction appears to be that the volunteer services provided should not be used in fundraising - hence the restriction on the foreign artist.

However, nothing prevents you from e-mailing your friends to fund a candidate, as long as you are not acting on behalf of the said campaign.

Comment

Paul van Dyk (german) and Adam Freeland (UK) came to the US in 2004 for a fundraising political concert tour. (They are both electronic dance music DJ's.) There were other DJ's that participated in this effort.

I believe the proceeds went to non-partisan organizations, but the message was implicit that they were against Bush.

Comment

Working...
          X