X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what they don't realise, is how bad off they really are

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060723...t_060723145812

In case you ever thought western civilization was in sad shape:

"The Gulf Arab state provides a cradle-to-grave welfare system to its citizens who receive most public services at heavily subsidized prices and pay no income tax.

Some 92 percent of Kuwait's 300,000-strong workforce are employed in government jobs, with high wages and minimal work pressure."

Re: what they don't realise, is how bad off they really are

blaze,

I have never been to Kuwait, so I have no idea of how good or bad things are there. The article you referenced gives no insight either to your question.

Would you mind elaborating on just how bad off the citizens of Kuwait are?
    Jim 69 y/o

"...Texans...the lowest form of white man there is." Robert Duvall, as Al Sieber, in "Geronimo." (see "Location" for examples.)

Dedicated to the idea that all people deserve a chance for a healthy productive life. B&M Gates Fdn.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. Unknown.

Comment

The article you referenced gives no insight either to your question.

Would you mind elaborating on just how bad off the citizens of Kuwait are?
      ok, I will, if you tell me what my question was?

Comment

Originally posted by blazespinnaker
        ok, I will, if you tell me what my question was?
        You made a statement for which there is no support in the news item you referenced. I do not know how bad off the Kuwaitis are, but your topic title suggested that you know. I, too, would like to know. Do you mind shedding a little of your insight as to "how bad off they really are"?
        Jim 69 y/o

"...Texans...the lowest form of white man there is." Robert Duvall, as Al Sieber, in "Geronimo." (see "Location" for examples.)

Dedicated to the idea that all people deserve a chance for a healthy productive life. B&M Gates Fdn.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. Unknown.

Comment

ahhh, ok, i was a bit confused there.

Well, it was more of an ironic statement if anything, as you can imagine. Cradle to grave welfare, 90%+ working for the government, tax rebates, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by blazespinnaker
            ahhh, ok, i was a bit confused there.

Well, it was more of an ironic statement if anything, as you can imagine. Cradle to grave welfare, 90%+ working for the government, tax rebates, etc.
            blaze,

So you really do not know how bad off, if at all, any of the citizens of Kuwait are. Perhaps under that system whatever comprises the bottom 25% of society are much better off than are the 25% at the bottom of our society--my pure speculation. But if I had to bet and an answer were possible, I would bet the bottom 25% in Kuwait are better off than our bottom 25%. Were that to be true, perhaps the bottom 25% in Kuwait would say life is better under a benevolent "dictator", than the bottom 25% in this country believe life is under a democratically elected president, congress and all the lesser entities our society elects.
            Jim 69 y/o

Comment

Working...
            X