Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forget Gold.........WALMART is getting KILLED !!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forget Gold.........WALMART is getting KILLED !!!!!!!!!

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/201...n-e-mails.html
    Mike

Re: Forget Gold.........WALMART is getting KILLED !!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Mega View Post
    http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/201...n-e-mails.html

executives attributed the performance to increased payroll taxes and delayed tax returns, which Geiger called “a potent one-two punch,” according to the e-mails.
    About $19.7 billion more in tax refunds had been delivered to shoppers by this time last year, according to an analysis prepared by Wal-Mart’s Global Customer Insights & Analytics division that was attached to Murray’s e-mail on Feb. 12. The retailer expected returns to be delayed by three to four weeks because of the late release of tax forms and additional, federally mandated tax-fraud scrutiny.

When a payroll-tax break expired Dec. 31, Americans began paying 2 percentage points more in Social Security taxes on their first $113,700 in wages. For a person making $40,000 a year, that is about $15 a week.

some "taxcut" that was.... and that was spose to 'stimulate' what, exactly?
    it would be hilarious if it wasnt so pathetic on the part of its 'creators'.
    who one year are crying about cuts to social 'security' and medicare and the next are slashing its funding source by 1/3
    and then have the balls to call it a 'middle class tax cut' ???

but i digress....

dunno about wallieworld, but my biz in feb is the slowest its been in over 20years.... and most of my clientle doesnt typically need to shop there

Comment

Might one enquire to your line of work?
      Mike

Comment

Originally posted by lektrode View Post
        some "taxcut" that was.... and that was spose to 'stimulate' what, exactly?
        it would be hilarious if it wasnt so pathetic on the part of its 'creators'.
        who one year are crying about cuts to social 'security' and medicare and the next are slashing its funding source by 1/3
        and then have the balls to call it a 'middle class tax cut' ???

but i digress....

dunno about wallieworld, but my biz in feb is the slowest its been in over 20years.... and most of my clientle doesnt typically need to shop there
        if you're in retail, sales are @ pre-shtf numbers...

online slowed only a tad...

$60b vs $37b before shtf 2008.

u sure your biz ain't going to online shops? same for wallieworld?

amazon sales Q4 2012 up 35% from Q4 2011...from $12.95b to $17.4b...

Comment

Just my own anecdotal experience, but in my time working retail, we were told that online businesses were the number one threat. As a gamer, I can attest that digital purchases have destroyed the retail market for PC games. People are using Steam, GMG, GOG, Amazon, and other digital distributors because of the ease of purchase, the insane discounts (new games going for 75% off in just a few months), and not having to deal with physical storage. And with Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony all offering their own online services for delivering games now, it is going to continue to eat away at retail.

Comment

Originally posted by Mega View Post
            Might one enquire to your line of work?
            Mike
            boat... uhhh.. i mean... yacht repairs... but for the 'working class' group; ie: 35-60foot - the uberyacht crowd genl'y avoids this place, cept for the occasional pitstop on a pondhop... well... other than our famous new island owner, anyway... so he might attract a few others, but likely too late for me.

Originally posted by metalman View Post
            if you're in retail, sales are @ pre-shtf numbers...
            $60b vs $37b before shtf 2008.

u sure your biz ain't going to online shops? same for wallieworld?

amazon sales Q4 2012 up 35% from Q4 2011...from $12.95b to $17.4b...
            perhaps on some of the eqpt sales, but gen'ly one cant get my primary product (skilled labor) from a website...
            course wallieworld/samsclub stocking boat batteries a few years back didnt help much either.
            but i guess with the proliferation of me-too boat stuff websites, all in a race to the bottom (of profit margins) - does affect things - something most dont seem to understand, as they gut their retail margins in a market segment that requires year round overhead, in a highly seasonal industry (meaning ya gots to make enuf in the busy season, to survive the off season)

mostly methinks it a combination of A: the crash in home equity (and conversion of it to fibergla$$); B: two wipeouts in the markets over the past 13-14years, leaving the primary age cohort (boomers) too broke to blow more bux on boats; C: no yield on cash they do have left; D: construction in the toilet, so more competition available, willing to charge less for even less work...
            all that and maybe the proprietor getting too old/sore and kranky to wanna pursue a downtrending market segment...

course if/when the economy picks up again, there might not be many of us left who actually _can_ do this work or will want to anymore... have considered going to homedepot and getting paid to be nice/smile a lot might be a better option, esp with my med ins premiums kranking up to 6500/year = my largest single expense now.

in a nutshell?
            taint all glamah being self employed for myself, all by myself.... not anymore anyway.

sigh....

Comment

Originally posted by lektrode View Post
              in a nutshell?
              taint all glamah being self employed for myself, all by myself.... not anymore anyway.

sigh....
              Being self-employed is great! You only have to work half the time, and it doesn't matter which twelve-hour shift you choose ;-)

Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Comment

Originally posted by shiny! View Post
                Being self-employed is great! You only have to work half the time, and it doesn't matter which twelve-hour shift you choose ;-)
                that was always the best benefit - that and not much of nuthin happnin during my fave time o year: mar thru late april
                ;)

Comment

Working...
                X