Google is your friend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google is your friend?

I picked this up tonight in Richard Russell's Dow Theory Letters' daily comments:

Originally posted by from Russell
    Google has implemented a new feature which enables you to type a telephone number into the search bar and hit enter and you will be given the person's name and address. If you then hit Map, you will get a map to the person's house. Everyone should be aware of this! It's a nationwide reverse telephone book.

If a child gives out his/her phone number, someone can now look it up to find out where he/she lives. The safety issues are obvious, and alarming. Note that you can have your phone number removed or blocked. I tried my number and it came up along with the map and directions straight to our house. I did fill out the removal form for myself, and encourage all of you to do the same. This is quite scary.

Please look up your own number. In order to test whether your phone number is mapped, go to: Google http://www.google.com/) Type your phone number in the search bar(i.e. 555-555-1212) and hit enter. If you want to BLOCK Google from divulging your private information, simply click on your telephone number and then click on the Removal Form. Removal takes 48-hours.

Check your own number and although this may not apply to you if you have an unlisted number or cell phone as primary contact, you may know someone who needs to know this.

Please share this information with friends and family.
    So rather than trying to send all iTuliper's an email, I thought I'd post this here.

I ran my number through and by Jove, ole Russell was on the money in that my name and address were returned along with a map.

Hope I remember to go back in 48 hours to check and see if I got removed.
    Jim 69 y/o

"...Texans...the lowest form of white man there is." Robert Duvall, as Al Sieber, in "Geronimo." (see "Location" for examples.)

Dedicated to the idea that all people deserve a chance for a healthy productive life. B&M Gates Fdn.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. Unknown.

Re: Google is your friend?

Originally posted by Jim Nickerson View Post
    I picked this up tonight in Richard Russell's Dow Theory Letters' daily comments:

So rather than trying to send all iTuliper's an email, I thought I'd post this here.

I ran my number through and by Jove, ole Russell was on the money in that my name and address were returned along with a map.

jim, thx for posting this. good thing our gummit and corps. persons can be trusted to use this tech with total respect for safety and privacy and our courts will protect it. :mad::eek:

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Nickerson View Post

I heard they bought the software from Yahoo - who developed it under a contract with the Chinese Govt...

(just kidding...)

Comment

Every online phone directory has a reverse phone lookup - Google is not alone in this. And reverse phone number lookup was available before the internet.

Unlisted numbers DO NOT show up! Mine didn't! Once an address is known, any mapping software can show you where it is! Again not limited to Google! GPS finders will work as well!

Are you going to outlaw GPS receivers as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Rajiv View Post
          Every online phone directory has a reverse phone lookup - Google is not alone in this. And reverse phone number lookup was available before the internet.

Unlisted numbers DO NOT show up! Mine didn't! Once an address is known, any mapping software can show you where it is! Again not limited to Google! GPS finders will work as well!

Are you going to outlaw GPS receivers as well?
          I second Rajiv in saying this has been around for quite a while. One of the reasons why I don't have a landline telephone.

Comment

Originally posted by zoog View Post
            I second Rajiv in saying this has been around for quite a while. One of the reasons why I don't have a landline telephone.
            strike 2 for russell... out of date on his markets analysis (isn't the little guy supposed to be jumping into the markets now for the next leg up?) and he don't know shit about tech, either.

fact is, tho, in these times of gps and so on it's impossible to hide. people can find you. it's a matter of how hard they're willing to try.

Comment

try this Invisible.bmp

Comment

The question is: when you 'remove' your number, is it deleted or simply sequestered as a 'do not call'?

I know the answer...

Comment

Originally posted by metalman View Post
                  strike 2 for russell... out of date on his markets analysis (isn't the little guy supposed to be jumping into the markets now for the next leg up?) and he don't know shit about tech, either.

fact is, tho, in these times of gps and so on it's impossible to hide. people can find you. it's a matter of how hard they're willing to try.

Wanna bet?

Comment

Originally posted by GRG55 View Post
                    Wanna bet?
                    i mean if you live in a house, dude. you know... with a mailbox? if you live in a carton under a bridge or a tent in the desert... no problemo.

Comment

i mean if you live in a house, dude. you know... with a mailbox? if you live in a carton under a bridge or a tent in the desert... no problemo.
                      Well, if the Gospel according to Gore is to be believed the whole planet will look like this very soon. Coming on the heels of Peak Oil, maybe time to swap the truck for a camel?

Comment

or in the mountains between pakistan and afghanistan.

Comment

Working...
                        X