When it hits home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When it hits home

It is interesting to talk about the billion dollar write downs of banks but when things hit home I can tell you it feels rather different.

Most of my accounts are in E*Trade, whose stock today has been halved. One analyst thinks this company has a 15% chance of bankruptcy. Now I know that in case of bankruptcy it is likely that the client accounts will simply be taken over by a buyer, and if not, that there is FDIC and SIPC protection. But getting your money and stocks can take 1 to 3 months in case of SIPC protection, and these stocks cannot be sold in-between.

Just changes the perception of things a bit when one has to start thinking about FDIC and SIPC.

Last edited by Tulpen; November 12, 2007, 01:21 PM.

Re: When it hits home

I can't understand how an online stock broker can lose so much money, or did they get attempted and started playing MBS derivatives?

Comment

They have a portfolio of 300B in ABS, much of it in MBS.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/071112/apfn_..._the_gate.html

Comment

Does anyone know how to find out if Schwab or Vanguard are in similar straights?

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
          Does anyone know how to find out if Schwab or Vanguard are in similar straights?

schwab is up ~5% as I write.
          Jim 69 y/o

"...Texans...the lowest form of white man there is." Robert Duvall, as Al Sieber, in "Geronimo." (see "Location" for examples.)

Dedicated to the idea that all people deserve a chance for a healthy productive life. B&M Gates Fdn.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. Unknown.

Comment

Working...
          X