PDA

View Full Version : Are There Any Incredibly Rich People Fighting FIRE?

BadJuju
07-25-12, 09:11 AM
I was just curious as to whether there are any incredibly rich (ultra-millionaires or billionaires) that are actively trying to counter FIRE out there. People in positions of great power that are not entrenched in the system and are actively fighting it.

jiimbergin
07-25-12, 09:39 AM
I was just curious as to whether there are any incredibly rich (ultra-millionaires or billionaires) that are actively trying to counter FIRE out there. People in positions of great power that are not entrenched in the system and are actively fighting it.

I believe EJ has mentioned that there are at least 2 billionaires on itulip. Of course, EJ is not exactly poor!

BadJuju
07-25-12, 09:47 AM
That's wild. Relative to other Americans, I am rather poor. It is crazy to think about how I am interacting with all of you wealthy ol' farts. :)

I am mainly curious because all I ever really see is evidence of collusion from people with extreme amounts of wealth. I am interested in seeing the other side of the coin for once. And what they are potentially doing to stave the problems that we collectively face.

lektrode
07-25-12, 05:19 PM
"..all of you wealthy ol' farts...."

well... one outa 2 aint bad.... ;)

i draw a distinction between those who either inherited their fortunes, or aquired them thru politically-connected/crony-capitalist means and those that were able to amass wealth through their own inventiveness/ingenuity/industrious pursuit (vs ruthless/reckless and ne-FIRE-rious criminal behavior or activity)

the first is reason enuf for 'confiscatory' rates of taxation on inheritence... (else within a few gens a few families would own EVERYTHING - while of course some kind of max limit on this is reasonable, but certainly not ALL exempt)

and the second is why - or so i thot - we have a dept of 'justice' (which during this current term has been as useful as tits on a bull...)

but make no mistake, 'the rich' - at least the ones who arent power-hungry, manipulative pricks - arent all bad - some of them actually do give back most of what they made to society, in some way or another.

and if they were/are able to amass a fortune - while doing the right thing - for their fellow earthling - then more power to em.

so i dont begrudge em.... well... maybe some (http://www.capital-flow-watch.net/2010/03/07/why-are-the-super-rich-often-liberals/) i do.
esp them that decide they know better than us mere mortal workin stiffs - on how we should act/vote, what kind of car we should be driving, what we should be eating or where/how/what kind of house we ought to live in.

just one kinda ol' fart's .02