Walkscore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walkscore

Not really a rant or rave, but found this site today where you can type in an address and it will show you restaurants, stores, parks, schools, etc. nearby, with distances, and give the location a rating (0 - 100) on walkability.

http://www.walkscore.com/

I put in my home address and the score was 52. Somewhere on the site was a pulldown menu with some famous locations. For example, the White House scored 100. The Bush ranch in Crawford scored 0.

Might be a helpful tool for someone looking for a place to live where they can walk / bike more and drive less.

Re: Walkscore

Originally posted by zoog View Post
    Not really a rant or rave, but found this site today where you can type in an address and it will show you restaurants, stores, parks, schools, etc. nearby, with distances, and give the location a rating (0 - 100) on walkability.

I put in my home address and the score was 52. Somewhere on the site was a pulldown menu with some famous locations. For example, the White House scored 100. The Bush ranch in Crawford scored 0.

Might be a helpful tool for someone looking for a place to live where they can walk / bike more and drive less.
    I went through Crawford a couple of years back just to see what it was after Bush moved there. You can walk in the woods or fields or to the town with 2-3 stores which ain't bad for rural Texas.

In Fort Worth, my score was 72--not bad.
    Jim 69 y/o

"...Texans...the lowest form of white man there is." Robert Duvall, as Al Sieber, in "Geronimo." (see "Location" for examples.)

Dedicated to the idea that all people deserve a chance for a healthy productive life. B&M Gates Fdn.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. Unknown.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Nickerson View Post
      I went through Crawford a couple of years back just to see what it was after Bush moved there. You can walk in the woods or fields or to the town with 2-3 stores which ain't bad for rural Texas.

In Fort Worth, my score was 72--not bad.
      Put in my address. It came back with a little camel symbol and the distance to the nearest oasis...

Comment

Originally posted by zoog View Post

You heard it here first...;)

marketwatch

Gasoline prices have more and more people considering walkability as a key factor in their housing decisions.
        Their list of top ten walkable cities:

San Francisco
        New York
        Boston
        Chicago
        Philadelphia
        Seattle
        Long Beach, CA
        Los Angeles
        Portland

LA seems a little surprising but, as with all of these cities, it depends on just where in the city you live. I noted in another thread, the biking one I think, that my new location scored 80; about five miles from where I used to own a house.

Comment

The Boston/Cambridge area is great (*****) for walking almost anywhere, but one has to develop a resilience to harsh winter weather, when the wind really whips around. I don't mind the rain, but windy rain is a pain in the ass. Especially when, for example carrying bags from the food market. Still, walking is almost always a much better choice than riding the most ineptly run public transportation system in the country.

Comment

My house scored 58. Not shabby.

Comment

Originally posted by dbarberic View Post
              My house scored 58. Not shabby.
              mine scored 0 and that's without the walking distance up 3 flights of stairs out of the concrete bunker. that'd make it a -23.

Comment

Originally posted by metalman View Post
                mine scored 0 and that's without the walking distance up 3 flights of stairs out of the concrete bunker. that'd make it a -23.
                I think the scoring system is busted for the times we live in now. Didn't see any weighting for distance to the nearest gun shop for ammo refills...

Comment

If you're gonna Mad Max it, strongly suggest the auto spring, ratchet cocked crossbows.

250lb pull. Reusable ammo. Goes through Kevlar. Same trajectory as gun up to 100 yards.

Comment

Working...
                  X