Rave: A Government Entity that has it right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rave: A Government Entity that has it right

With everything being so doom and glum, and things seemingly continuing to disconnect from reality, I want to relate a story of something that is well-run, giving a good experience for a customer - and it is a government-run enterprise.

What is this diamond in the rough haystack that has been politics from the beginning of time? The LA County Animal Shelter in Van Nuys.

Why I was proud to be an American, a Californian, and an Angelino all at the same time:

1. The facility was very well built, aesthetically pleasing, with a design that makes sense, and even gives the animals that are kept there a sense of dignity (if dogs and cats in cages can have them).

2. The people working there were, well, they weren't exactly bright and bubbly, but they were helpful, and they were honest. Most importantly, however, they were competent. And most of the people that we encountered seemed to have integrity with what they do for a living.

3. Again for the facility: it was clean and well-maintained. And even had some colors.

4. A sensible parking lot!

5. The animals appeared to be in as good condition as can be expected in an animal shelter. Most of the dog pens were outside, and the cages were rather spacious compared to other places that I have seen.

6. While my adoption didn't go through (almost got a cat), I have to give credit to the people who were assisting me. There was a staff person who examined the cat I was trying to adopt, and he told me it had some kind of illness that needed antibiotics, so that it wouldn't be a good idea for me to take it. Answered all my questions to satisfaction.

So yes, I'm raving about an experience with a government entity. Sometimes they do get it right, and I think it's only fair to give credit where it's due, although I'm sure most people reading this are just going to be like "blah, puff piece, I can't rant on this thread" or something.

Re: Rave: A Government Entity that has it right

Originally posted by DemonD View Post
    With everything being so doom and glum, and things seemingly continuing to disconnect from reality, I want to relate a story of something that is well-run, giving a good experience for a customer - and it is a government-run enterprise.

What is this diamond in the rough haystack that has been politics from the beginning of time? The LA County Animal Shelter in Van Nuys.

Why I was proud to be an American, a Californian, and an Angelino all at the same time:

1. The facility was very well built, aesthetically pleasing, with a design that makes sense, and even gives the animals that are kept there a sense of dignity (if dogs and cats in cages can have them).

2. The people working there were, well, they weren't exactly bright and bubbly, but they were helpful, and they were honest. Most importantly, however, they were competent. And most of the people that we encountered seemed to have integrity with what they do for a living.

3. Again for the facility: it was clean and well-maintained. And even had some colors.

4. A sensible parking lot!

5. The animals appeared to be in as good condition as can be expected in an animal shelter. Most of the dog pens were outside, and the cages were rather spacious compared to other places that I have seen.

6. While my adoption didn't go through (almost got a cat), I have to give credit to the people who were assisting me. There was a staff person who examined the cat I was trying to adopt, and he told me it had some kind of illness that needed antibiotics, so that it wouldn't be a good idea for me to take it. Answered all my questions to satisfaction.

So yes, I'm raving about an experience with a government entity. Sometimes they do get it right, and I think it's only fair to give credit where it's due, although I'm sure most people reading this are just going to be like "blah, puff piece, I can't rant on this thread" or something.
    Quite the contrary. It's uplifting to hear postive stories about "the human condition", given, as you say, how predisposed we are (and I include myself) to look mostly at the negatives. By the way, kudos for trying to adopt a pet from a shelter. I hope that you are ultimately successful. Lord knows there are a lot of good animals out there that need a loving home.

Comment

Working...
    X