Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family of Seven lives off of 35,000/year without Debt

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/play...61492&src=news

it's like the serious version of the saturday night live skit. they actually say: "if you don't have the money for something, don't buy it!"

Re: Family of Seven lives off of 35,000/year without Debt

Originally posted by jk View Post
    http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/play...61492&src=news

it's like the serious version of the saturday night live skit. they actually say: "if you don't have the money for something, don't buy it!"
    Sweet. That was pretty impressive, but the walkie-talkie exchanges in the grocery store were a bit much.

I'll admit that I never bother with coupons, I'm sure it adds up over time. When things I buy frequently are on sale, I do buy extra.

It seems that humans have to make a special effort to consider the long-term, larger effects of small actions. By default, we tend to dismiss saving 20 cents with a coupon, or throwing a candy wrapper on the ground, or not recycling one aluminum can, or eating one more jelly donut. Then time goes by, often years, and we are surprised at what has happened.

Comment

What they didn't say in the video segment was the size of their mortgage/rent, and the real estate market they lived in -- that is one of the primary components of living costs.

Comment

My wife went on a spurt where she was an advid coupon user and used websites like: The Grocery Game and Coupon Mom to identify when coupons exist and items are on sale and the store gives you double the coupon value. I saved a few receipts where our grocery bill was 50% off!

During the last year we moved more towards natural/organic foods and home based cooking rather than prepared stuff. Most of the coupons only only for convenience foods, so we do not use them that much anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Rajiv View Post
          What they didn't say in the video segment was the size of their mortgage/rent, and the real estate market they lived in -- that is one of the primary components of living costs.
          That's a good point. One could argue that an aspect of being frugal would be selecting a location where the cost of living is reasonable.

Originally posted by dbarberic View Post
          During the last year we moved more towards natural/organic foods and home based cooking rather than prepared stuff. Most of the coupons only only for convenience foods, so we do not use them that much anymore.
          This is part of why I haven't used coupons much, there aren't many for the smaller organic brands. Corporate giants like Kraft / Nabisco can afford to offer coupons, due to the sheer volume of their production and sales.

Cooking more food at home should be a good way to save money, but it does require a time investment that many people feel they cannot afford.

Comment

Originally posted by zoog View Post
            This is part of why I haven't used coupons much, there aren't many for the smaller organic brands. Corporate giants like Kraft / Nabisco can afford to offer coupons, due to the sheer volume of their production and sales.

Cooking more food at home should be a good way to save money, but it does require a time investment that many people feel they cannot afford.
            The price of a lot of the major brand coupons unless they are doubled or tripled can often be beaten by generic brands of the same product.

Unless you have hair like Donald Trump, a good way to save some money is to cut your own hair. I last had a store-bought haircut in Bangkok in 1997. After 1991, I stopped visiting the barber.

Shave you face with soap vs. shaving cream. Grow a beard.

We drink at least 3 pots of coffee a day. Used to leave the pot on until it cut off after 1 hour. That's 1300Watts, three times a day for an hour. Figured it out what was annual cost of running coffee pot. Big saving to buy an insulated carafe and cut the pot off after the coffee has dripped, and, of course, then pour the hot coffee into the carafe.
            Last edited by Jim Nickerson; August 30, 2007, 01:27 PM.
            Jim 69 y/o

"...Texans...the lowest form of white man there is." Robert Duvall, as Al Sieber, in "Geronimo." (see "Location" for examples.)

Dedicated to the idea that all people deserve a chance for a healthy productive life. B&M Gates Fdn.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. Unknown.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Nickerson View Post
              We drink at least 3 pots of coffee a day.
              How many people in this "we"?

Comment

Originally posted by lb View Post
                How many people in this "we"?
                Wife and I, coffee is good for you.
                Jim 69 y/o

"...Texans...the lowest form of white man there is." Robert Duvall, as Al Sieber, in "Geronimo." (see "Location" for examples.)

Dedicated to the idea that all people deserve a chance for a healthy productive life. B&M Gates Fdn.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. Unknown.

Comment

I am getting the whole family, three kids (all girls) 10 12 and 16 to watch this over and over again. My wife I don't think so - but I love her anyway

Comment

We drink at least 3 pots of coffee a day. Used to leave the pot on until it cut off after 1 hour. That's 1300Watts, three times a day for an hour. Figured it out what was annual cost of running coffee pot. Big saving to buy an insulated carafe and cut the pot off after the coffee has dripped, and, of course, then pour the hot coffee into the carafe.
                    In the interest of accuracy, once your coffee is brewed it goes into a holding pattern and far less energy is used.

Comment

Originally posted by zoog View Post
                      That's a good point. One could argue that an aspect of being frugal would be selecting a location where the cost of living is reasonable.

There are coupons out there for organic products and baking supplies too. I've gotten yeast and sugar for free before using coupons combined with sales. If I can get processed food for cheap or free, then I donate it to the local soup kitchen.

Comment

Dumpster dive for the free stuff. You would not believe how much goes to waste behind restaurants and grocery stores.

Comment

Slightly OT, but I thought JN might appreciate this:

Last weekend I was passing through Bastrop and decided to stop by the big HEB there to see if they had my preferrred brand of coffee (Chock Full o' Nuts).

I scored almost 2 dozen 13 oz cans for $1.99 each ($2.99 - $1 in store coupon per can) - I am set for the next year .

When I pulled up at the cashier with my haul, the two older ladies in line ahead of me started serenading me ("Chock Full o' Nuts is that heavenly coffee . . . )

Comment

The margin American's enjoy between what they're promoted to buy ($$$), and what they can alternately buy ($$), is a major reason those on top aren't seeing more of a hostile reaction to the Grand Theft in progress.

If and when that margin goes, expect real change.

Comment

The family name is Economides!!!!

They have a website (of course)

the old one:

http://www.homeeconomiser.com/index.html

the new one:

http://www.americascheapestfamily.com/

And it appears that they live in the Scottsdale, Arizona area.

This article from 2008 is about one of their food shopping trips:

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/116111

I am only including this comment to that article because it's funny:

I feed my family of 7 for $26 a month. Raman noodle 8 for $1. Multiply that by 20, you're looking at 160 bags of Raman. The other six dollars I spend on Maddog 20/20.

Comment

Working...
                              X