Something I do not understand.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something I do not understand.

I have a position in DBC--Deustche Bank Commodities ETF. It invests in futures of corn 11.25%, wheat 11.25%, aluminum 12.5%, gold 10%, heating oil 20%, and crude oil 35%.

I follow it through a brokerage watchlist. At 4PM it closed at 26.50, I happened to look at the list later in the evening and the price was 27.45. I then got a quote from Yahoo which showed in After Hours trading it had jumped to 27.45 up 95 cents.

I do not know if that jump was on 100 shares or something much more, or whether the 3.58% increase in price is some sort of a premium one pays in after hours trading.

Does anyone know how to determine what are After Hours volumes?
    Jim 69 y/o

"...Texans...the lowest form of white man there is." Robert Duvall, as Al Sieber, in "Geronimo." (see "Location" for examples.)

Dedicated to the idea that all people deserve a chance for a healthy productive life. B&M Gates Fdn.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. Unknown.

Re: Something I do not understand.

Jim,

I would not get too excited either way about the change in DBC after hours.

Spreads on something like QQQQ or SPY or heavily traded stocks may widen little if at all after hours whereas liquidity for many other securities dries up considerably.

Still, if you are interested in extended hours action, there may be a few options. Some online brokers provide level II quotes for ARCA and INET which allow you to see all the "after hours" bids and offers on the exchanges for a particular security - while they are actually open. Other brokers and even some streaming chart/quote services may continue to track just the best bid & offer. Of course I do not know which broker you use and this may depend on whether or not they actually offer extended hours trading.

Another option would be if your broker offers a "Time and Sales" function (that includes extended hours transactions). I checked mine for you and it does in fact show just one transaction for DBC in extended hours Friday for 100 shares at 27.45.

I don't know for sure but I would guess that this is atypical and that most days DBC doesn't change hands in extended hours at all. Anyway, cases like this with low liquidity securities normally don't have any real impact on where the security will open in the next regular session so even if DBC were to open near that level Monday morning it would most likely be just a coincidence.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
    X