PDA

View Full Version : The Fat Lady Sings

FRED
08-09-07, 07:55 PM
Well, it's that time.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KfqrrhwWirY"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KfqrrhwWirY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Jim Nickerson
08-09-07, 08:11 PM
I still rather much believe if someone is saying, "This is it!" then probably, this ain't it.

FRED
08-09-07, 08:16 PM
I still rather much believe if someone is saying, "This is it!" then probably, this ain't it.

Depends on who's saying it. Don't forget where you are.

Jim Nickerson
08-09-07, 08:35 PM
Depends on who's saying it. Don't forget where you are.

It sticks in my mind, "don't look to good, nor talk to wise." What Kipling didn't say is that," if you violate my advice, it may come back and bite you on your ass."

FRED
08-09-07, 08:40 PM
It sticks in my mind, "don't look to good, nor talk to wise." What Kipling didn't say is that," if you violate my advice, it may come back and bite you on your ass."

Look at the record. Consider the source.

The courage of a conviction has its risks. Lack of courage has greater.

Jim Nickerson
08-09-07, 08:50 PM
Look at the record. Consider the source.

The courage of a conviction has its risks. Lack of courage has greater.

Can't argue with the record; nevertheless, it is most difficult to pick a point in the market and say, "Okay, Sapphire, sing."

Personally for many reasons I hope you are absolutely, unequivocally on the money.

metalman
08-09-07, 09:05 PM
Can't argue with the record; nevertheless, it is most difficult to pick a point in the market and say, "Okay, Sapphire, sing."

Personally for many reasons I hope you are absolutely, unequivocally on the money.

lessee... march 2000 stocks down, april it's a bear, aug 2001 gold up, july 2007 stocks down... and that's it. i dunno. seems to me that takes discipline. also, i read all this shit here about these other guys, like mish. didn't you listen to the mish/ej 'debate'? did you get the idea mish has any idea what he's talking about? does he talk to the guys who actually run the cdo funds? to the guys who work in the banking system like mayer? to guys on the receiving end of the lbo bubble like challenger? and so on? i'm trying to imagine mish getting an interview with any of them. who are his sources?

love ya jim but i think you're missing the point. remember were ej comes from. he knows these guys, talks to them. but he's on our side. i just wish it all didn't mean watching my gold and silver get pummeled before the reflate. but it's looking that way.

Jim Nickerson
08-09-07, 09:41 PM
lessee... march 2000 stocks down, april it's a bear, aug 2001 gold up, july 2007 stocks down... and that's it. i dunno. seems to me that takes discipline. also, i read all this shit here about these other guys, like mish. didn't you listen to the mish/ej 'debate'? did you get the idea mish has any idea what he's talking about? does he talk to the guys who actually run the cdo funds? to the guys who work in the banking system like mayer? to guys on the receiving end of the lbo bubble like challenger? and so on? i'm trying to imagine mish getting an interview with any of them. who are his sources?

love ya jim but i think you're missing the point. remember were ej comes from. he knows these guys, talks to them. but he's on our side. i just wish it all didn't mean watching my gold and silver get pummeled before the reflate. but it's looking that way.

You haven't made me feel defensive, I don't think, and I have no disrespect in me for EJ, but he puts his britches on like everyone else--one leg at a time, and as such (unless he is a closet-ninja), no one is immune to being wrong. It is great to step up, make a statement, take a real swing at the ball, but nevertheless, it takes time to see if what anyone says about the future at a given moment proves to be prescient or not. I hope EJ is prescient, or rather has gathered enough insight to seem prescient.

Contemptuous
08-09-07, 09:58 PM
Metalman - In case you didn't notice - gold and silver have hardly budged while everything else plunges. Looks like they are getting set to decouple. Anyone thinking they are going to time a great entry point into that area is dinking around.

I would not be in the slightest bit surprised if they do decouple now or soon.

I find Mish to be a bore, although I can't say exactly why. He seems completely hypnotized by the housing and credit bubble and only bangs on a few piano keys all the time. Also he uses the word "Missive" which drives me bonkers.

As far as selling everything in this correction, I disagree. If you anticipated this and built very conservatively allocated portfolio percentages for the medium term, in one or two sectors with the strongest prospects, you are just cruising through this correction without sweating it too much.

Holding through this stuff tests conviction, and "builds investing character", which is not an insignificant habit for collecting the really big payola from long term investing.

When the markets perk up again as the all global CB's reflate in unison, everyone will be chasing (once again) right back into these sectors with yet more churning of their assets.

Euro Pacific clients largely pick the large long term themes, allocate sensibly, and sit tight. That's an investing principle that seems lost on a large portion of this community.

metalman
08-09-07, 10:00 PM
You haven't made me feel defensive, I don't think, and I have no disrespect in me for EJ, but he puts his britches on like everyone else--one leg at a time, and as such (unless he is a closet-ninja), no one is immune to being wrong. It is great to step up, make a statement, take a real swing at the ball, but nevertheless, it takes time to see if what anyone says about the future at a given moment proves to be prescient or not. I hope EJ is prescient, or rather has gathered enough insight to seem prescient.

seem prescient...

maybe i don't hang out here enough to get the impact of being too familiar with what he's said. just go to the top of the main page... oh, here...

http://foohack.com/2007/08/when-will-the-bubble-bubble-burst-or-who-really-listens-to-these-pundits/

Jeff
08-10-07, 11:09 AM
Um, Eric, wasn't it March 2000, rather than March 2001 when iTulip last made a prediction?

jimmygu3
08-10-07, 11:57 AM
Don't say we didn't warn you.

I won't say you didn't warn me. I'll just say you didn't tell me where to put my money. I believe that stocks are due for a (continuing) crash. I have seen the proverbial iTulip light. I just don't know where the safest places to have my savings are for the time being.

Are we perhaps seeing PMs rising (decoupling) due to shorts covering, and/or are burned investors seeking shelter there? Or are PMs headed down, too? Will the Fed try to inflate our way out of this (making cash a less attractive place to be and pushing up nominal asset prices)? What about inflation-indexed T-bills? Seems like a good shelter to me, even with the rigged CPI.

Answers? Guidance? EJ? Fred?

THANKS!

Jimmy

Jim Nickerson
08-10-07, 01:04 PM
I won't say you didn't warn me. I'll just say you didn't tell me where to put my money. I believe that stocks are due for a (continuing) crash. I have seen the proverbial iTulip light. I just don't know where the safest places to have my savings are for the time being.

Are we perhaps seeing PMs rising (decoupling) due to shorts covering, and/or are burned investors seeking shelter there? Or are PMs headed down, too? Will the Fed try to inflate our way out of this (making cash a less attractive place to be and pushing up nominal asset prices)? What about inflation-indexed T-bills? Seems like a good shelter to me, even with the rigged CPI.

THANKS!

Jimmy

You are asking million-bonar questions, and I imagine a lot of individuals are reluctant to offer you advice about what to do with YOUR money, maybe I'm wrong, and they will.

If YOU think stocks are going to "crash," it seems to me if I thought that, I'd rather be in CASH. It took me a long time to grasp Ka-Poom (if I have in fact), but based on that, cash could be good. If one cannot always be invested in what appears to be going up, then a worthy goal is to be in what doesn't appear to be going down.

Whatever is to play out from the past few days of excitement I think will take longer than next week to finally unfold.

I wish I could tell you exactly what YOU should do, but I can't.

I hold no commodities now, 5% gold, silver, and mining stocks, 69% cash, about 13% short equity indices, ~10% yen, and 2% long US$ index, and I have been in these all for some weeks at least. Added to shorts, Tuesday before big run-up Wed.

Good luck.

Tet
08-10-07, 01:17 PM

THANKS!

Jimmy
Jimmy,
Obviously the only thing to do would be to send me your money and I'll make you richer than Howard Hughes a week from next Thursday, I guarantee it and you won't find a better guarantee anywhere else. PM me and we'll work out the details. Thanks.

bill
08-10-07, 01:34 PM

http://www.itulip.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9616#poststop

My last purchase was 123.10 ,,,wait for the bounce to get in.

Andreuccio
08-10-07, 01:35 PM

THANKS!

Jimmy

Read the book EJ co-authored: America's Bubble Economy. It has a suggested allocation. I don't have it in front of me, and I don't remember the details, but it was something like 30% gold, 40% Euros, and the rest cash in dollars. Maybe somebody else can provide the correct assets and percentages.

Contemptuous
08-10-07, 02:14 PM
(Comment: Growing public doubts about the rationality of "safe haven bonds" - a perception shift which iTulip has suggested could be an early warning signal of an approaching significant bid on Gold, are generally expected to appear only at the far side of KA, or otherwise years from now, and this past two weeks market events are thought to be the just the start of a significant deflationary interlude.

According to Jim Sinclair, who is clearly partial to metal as hard money rather than the senior currencies, the earliest hints of that public doubt regarding the viability of bonds as "safe" from the inevitable CB liquidity response may in fact already already be here:

Posted On: Thursday, August 09, 2007, 1:39:00 PM EST at the Jim Sinclair website :

Dear CIGAs,

I mentioned on my gold chart that there is a supposed flight to the safety of bonds that is taking place today amidst the general turmoil in the markets and that is supposedly giving the dollar a boost. The problem with that analysis that I keep hearing today is that the bond market has barely moved in price this morning and for all practical purposes is trading nearly unchanged as I write this. Previous drops of this magnitude in the equity indices have seen bond and note prices move sharply higher.

We might be seeing some folks putting two and two together and realizing that massive injections of liquidity are not exactly conducive to the health of bonds as such sets the stage for rampant inflation as Monty has detailed for us earlier today?

(Comment: "Massive injections of liquidity" by the same token are not exactly conducive to the health of the Euro or Dollar either).

jimmygu3
08-10-07, 02:25 PM
Read the book EJ co-authored: America's Bubble Economy. It has a suggested allocation. I don't have it in front of me, and I don't remember the details, but it was something like 30% gold, 40% Euros, and the rest cash in dollars. Maybe somebody else can provide the correct assets and percentages.

Thanks, Andreuccio. I have the book at home and I'll brush up on it this weekend.

Jimmy,
Obviously the only thing to do would be to send me your money and I'll make you richer than Howard Hughes a week from next Thursday, I guarantee it and you won't find a better guarantee anywhere else. PM me and we'll work out the details. Thanks.

Tet, that's wonderful news! FYI, I am a jailed Nigerian Prince. I will happily send you certified funds of $1M as soon as you pay the transfer fee of $23,000. ;)

I am not asking for a crystal ball or a detailed analysis of my personal investments. I hardly think that seeking "safety" means I expect to be Howard Hughes in a week. However, when someone of great knowledge and insight like EJ says, "Don't say we didn't warn you", but neglects to give even a general action plan, I think it leaves questions to be answered.

Jimmy

Finster
08-10-07, 02:28 PM
(Comment: Growing public doubts about the rationality of "safe haven bonds" - a perception shift which iTulip has suggested could be an early warning signal of an approaching significant bid on Gold, are generally expected to appear only at the far side of KA, or otherwise years from now, and this past two weeks market events are thought to be the just the start of a significant deflationary interlude.

According to Jim Sinclair, who is clearly partial to metal as hard money rather than the senior currencies, the earliest hints of that public doubt regarding the viability of bonds as "safe" from the inevitable CB liquidity response may in fact already already be here:

Posted On: Thursday, August 09, 2007, 1:39:00 PM EST at the Jim Sinclair website :

Dear CIGAs,

I mentioned on my gold chart that there is a supposed flight to the safety of bonds that is taking place today amidst the general turmoil in the markets and that is supposedly giving the dollar a boost. The problem with that analysis that I keep hearing today is that the bond market has barely moved in price this morning and for all practical purposes is trading nearly unchanged as I write this. Previous drops of this magnitude in the equity indices have seen bond and note prices move sharply higher.

We might be seeing some folks putting two and two together and realizing that massive injections of liquidity are not exactly conducive to the health of bonds as such sets the stage for rampant inflation as Monty has detailed for us earlier today?

Sinclair is usually best ignored, but he's firing on all cylinders here. UST's *should* have rallied more than they did, and after several months of punk performance gold is acting a little spunky. Which is as it should be; when it looks like the CBs are panicking and starting to throw money around (after months of tough talk about inflation), gold should outperform.

EJ
08-10-07, 02:32 PM

THANKS!

Jimmy

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a one-size-fits portfolio. You circumstances are not DemonD's or Jim's, for example.

What we do at iTulip is tell our members what we think is going to happen. We put a lot of work into figuring that out. We talk to and interview hundreds of people that we have unique access to. (For example, got a call this AM from a friend a major investment bank suggesting that I warn iTulip readers to check the health of their money market accounts. Some are down 20% in Europe. At times like these, don't assume $1 is in your MM account is like $1 in the bank.) We do a lot of analysis and write frequently on our findings. We don't follow anyone but what our research and analysis tells us. Our track record speaks for itself.

After we explain what we think is going on and believe is going to happen, we provide a unique place–this forum–where an unusually smart group of folks in the community work together to figure out what to do with the information. What each member does with the information is individual depending on factors such as age, risk tolerance, assets, cash flow, etc. There is not such thing as a portfolio response that fits everyone.

When iTulip says housing is a top in 2005, you probably want to sell your house if you have a big ARM and are not in a position to weather a major price drop and higher rates. But iTulip is not going to say, "It's a top! Sell your house!" because that doesn't make sense for everyone. I didn't sell my house at the top. I live in it, own it, and don't view it as an investment. If I'd owned any investment properties I'd certainly have sold them in 2005.

If iTulip says that the stock market is likely to crash soon, then maybe the stock market is not the place to be for a while. Cash seems like a logical alternative. With some money market funds backed by junk, maybe money market funds are not the place to be but in CDs and U.S. Treasuries. You may have noticed that we offered a lot of info on CDs in the subscriber section over the past few months. But we're not going to say, "Sell your stocks! Buy these CDs!"

Our philosophy is that smart adults armed with uniquely valuable information about the direction and dynamics of markets do not need to be infantilized with "buy this sell that" information that may not apply to them. Some of our readers choose to pick up nickels from in front of the steam roller along with the hedge fund boys. Power to you. Some of you will even get away before you're run over. Nothing wrong with that.

I have said repeatedly that I am mostly in CDs and U.S. Treasuries, with a 15% gold position, have no debt, and have 5% speculative positions–see my portfolio on Top Investors above for that and note I'm not much of a short term speculator. All this means is that if you were in my shoes, had my risk tolerance, are my age, have my debt position, and so on, that might be right for you, too. Or maybe not.

Andreuccio
08-10-07, 02:38 PM
Tet, that's wonderful news! FYI, I am a jailed Nigerian Prince. I will happily send you certified funds of $1M as soon as you pay the transfer fee of $23,000. ;)

Jimmy

You might enjoy this conference: http://j-walk.com/other/conf/

Contemptuous
08-10-07, 04:00 PM
Finster -

30-year Treasury auction was 'poor and sloppy' (http://www.marketwatch.com/news/newsfinder/pulseone.asp?siteid=nbs&guid={4A2E4CB0-7C8B-49EF-AF7C-C1D5C8E7D036})
By Wanfeng Zhou MarketWatch
8/9/2007 01:13:58 PM

You think Jim Sinclair, and those of us who regard him as astute, are gazing in the right general direction? It's very heartening to hear that you agree.

Ed
08-10-07, 04:07 PM
A day or two ago Pres. Bush volunteered to the effect:

Another thing that is important is that there is enough liquidity in the system for markets to correct. ... I have been told that there is enough liquidity in the system for markets to correct.

He appeared to maybe be reading the first sentence.
The plural, "markets", was used both times.

I was struck by all that, from a U.S. President, maybe reading the first sentence ...

Finster
08-10-07, 04:42 PM

THANKS!

Jimmy

The point EJ made above about the importance of individual considerations in your investment policy hardly needs amplification, but is hard to overstate. If the outlook for is for stocks to fall, the best one can honestly recommend is to hold less stock than you otherwise would.

We can make informed guesses about what markets will do, but they are always probablistic. What you know about you own circumstances and goals, however, is not. If you bought a home in 2005, paid cash for it, and did so because you wanted to live in it - and not with the intention of someday selling it and using the proceeds for something other than a home - you did something entirely different than someone who took out a big mortgage and figured on selling the house a year later to fund his kid's college education. Or suppose you were a US government employee who is entitled to a civil service pension. That's a lot like having a big slug of UST bonds in your portfolio. Advising you to load up your discretionary portfolio with UST bonds without taking that into account would be irresponsible. And when will you need the money? A portfolio for liquidation ten years from now would look very different than one earmarked for next month. Not to mention that you could never be sure even in the ten-year case that some emergency might not arise requiring partial liquidation next month anyway. These are only some examples of factors that impinge on your investment strategy.

Finster
08-10-07, 04:49 PM
Finster -

30-year Treasury auction was 'poor and sloppy' (http://www.marketwatch.com/news/newsfinder/pulseone.asp?siteid=nbs&guid={4A2E4CB0-7C8B-49EF-AF7C-C1D5C8E7D036})
By Wanfeng Zhou MarketWatch
8/9/2007 01:13:58 PM

You think Jim Sinclair, and those of us who regard him as astute, are gazing in the right general direction? It's very heartening to hear that you agree.

Sure do, Lukester. Especially since this is in the larger context of what may be a generalized decline in financial assets. Remember that the late great bull market of the eighties and nineties was shared by both stocks and bonds. They didn't advance at the same time by the amount - more or less taking turns going two steps forward and one step back - but the broad sweep was upward while gold and other commodities went downward. If that general pattern has truly reversed, we would expect the opposite - bonds may advance when stocks decline, but less so, and vice versa.

Ed
08-10-07, 08:23 PM
Re. the preceding post's words of Pres. Bush, I found:

After meeting with Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson, President Bush went before the cameras for a second day running to say that the U.S. economy was strong and that credit was plentiful.
Asked about recent market volatility, Bush replied, "I am told there is enough liquidity in the system to enable markets to correct," a clear indication that the government wants to see the markets solve their own troubles, analysts said.

Finster
08-10-07, 10:00 PM
Re. the preceding post's words of Pres. Bush, I found:

After meeting with Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson, President Bush went before the cameras for a second day running to say that the U.S. economy was strong and that credit was plentiful.
Asked about recent market volatility, Bush replied, "I am told there is enough liquidity in the system to enable markets to correct," a clear indication that the government wants to see the markets solve their own troubles, analysts said.

If so, a refreshing departure from established policy ...

jimmygu3
08-10-07, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the response, EJ. I really appreciate all that you and the iTulip community do.

Jimmy

Rajiv
08-11-07, 09:42 AM
I hope EJ is prescient, or rather has gathered enough insight to seem prescient.

Look at my post (http://www.itulip.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13594&postcount=1) in Sapien's thread "Banks are bankrupt, Lenders of last resort act!" (http://http://www.itulip.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1760)

Here is the graph from the post

http://www.eurotrib.com/files/3/070807_face_value_of_bank_loans_02_07.JPG

FRED
08-15-07, 11:04 PM
Tomorrow, the fat lady screams.

WDCRob
08-15-07, 11:24 PM
Do tell? Why tomorrow specifically?

FRED
08-15-07, 11:42 PM
Do tell? Why tomorrow specifically?

Korea is down 6.5% (http://finance.yahoo.com/intlindices?e=asia). To put that in perspective, that's about 850 points for the DOW.

bill
08-16-07, 12:01 AM
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=790 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top align=middle><TD colSpan=2>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2><TABLE borderColor=#ffffff cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TH align=middle width="33%">HONG KONG & CHINA</TH><TH style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #30427d" align=middle width="34%">UNITED STATES (http://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/market.asp?c=US)</TH><TH style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #30427d" align=middle width="33%">ASIA PACIFIC (http://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/market.asp?c=AP)</TH></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TH align=left>Market Indices (Intraday Chart)</TH><TH align=right>8/16/2007 11:57:46 AM (HKT)</TH></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD><TABLE borderColor=#ffffff width="100%" bgColor=#ffffff border=1><TBODY><TR><TH style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #5570c0" vAlign=top align=middle width="33%">http://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/images/HKflag.gif HANG SENG INDEXhttp://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/images/down.gif-3.81%</TH><TH style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #5570c0" vAlign=top align=middle width="34%">http://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/images/HKflag.gif HANG SENG CHINA ENTERPRISES INDEXhttp://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/images/down.gif-5.37%</TH><TH style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #5570c0" vAlign=top align=middle width="33%">http://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/images/HKflag.gif HANG SENG C C INDEXhttp://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/images/down.gif-4.93%</TH></TR><TR><TD align=middle>http://baby.boom.com.hk/charting/idx/HSI_HK.gif (http://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/country.asp?c=HK)</TD><TD align=middle>http://baby.boom.com.hk/charting/idx/HSCEI_HK.gif (http://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/country.asp?c=HK)</TD><TD align=middle>http://baby.boom.com.hk/charting/idx/HSCC_HK.gif (http://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/country.asp?c=HK)</TD></TR><TR><TH style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #5570c0" vAlign=top align=middle>http://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/images/CNflag.gif SHANGHAI SE B SHARE INDEXhttp://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/images/down.gif-2.08%</TH><TH style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #5570c0" vAlign=top align=middle>http://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/images/CNflag.gif SHENZHEN SE B SHARE INDEXhttp://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/images/down.gif-4.11%</TH><TH style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #5570c0" vAlign=top align=middle>http://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/images/TWflag.gif TAIWAN SE WEIGHTED INDEXhttp://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/images/down.gif-3.94%</TH></TR><TR><TD align=middle>http://baby.boom.com.hk/charting/idx/SSEB_CN.gif (http://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/country.asp?c=CN)</TD><TD align=middle>http://baby.boom.com.hk/charting/idx/SZSB_CN.gif (http://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/country.asp?c=CN)</TD><TD align=middle>http://baby.boom.com.hk/charting/idx/TWII_TW.gif (http://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/country.asp?c=TW)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

bill
08-16-07, 12:03 AM
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=790 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top align=middle><TD colSpan=2>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2><TABLE borderColor=#ffffff cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TH style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #30427d" align=middle width="33%">HONG KONG & CHINA (http://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/market.asp?c=HK)</TH><TH style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #30427d" align=middle width="34%">UNITED STATES (http://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/market.asp?c=US)</TH><TH align=middle width="33%">ASIA PACIFIC</TH></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TH align=left>Market Indices (Intraday Chart)</TH><TH align=right>8/16/2007 12:01:00 PM (HKT)</TH></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD><TABLE borderColor=#ffffff width="100%" bgColor=#ffffff border=1><TBODY><TR><TH style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #5570c0" vAlign=top align=middle width="33%">http://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/images/JPflag.gif NIKKEI 225 INDEXhttp://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/images/down.gif-3.49%</TH><TH style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #5570c0" vAlign=top align=middle width="34%">http://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/images/AUflag.gif ASX ALL ORDINARIES INDEXhttp://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/images/down.gif-4.71%</TH><TH style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #5570c0" vAlign=top align=middle width="33%">http://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/images/SGflag.gif STRAITS TIMES INDEXhttp://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/images/down.gif-4.55%</TH></TR><TR><TD align=middle>http://baby.boom.com.hk/charting/idx/N225_JP.gif (http://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/country.asp?c=JP)</TD><TD align=middle>http://baby.boom.com.hk/charting/idx/AORD_AU.gif (http://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/country.asp?c=AU)</TD><TD align=middle>http://baby.boom.com.hk/charting/idx/STI_SG.gif (http://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/country.asp?c=SG)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE borderColor=#ffffff width="100%" bgColor=#ffffff border=1><TBODY><TR><TH style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #5570c0" vAlign=top align=middle>http://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/images/THflag.gif SET INDEXhttp://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/images/down.gif-3.83%</TH><TH style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #5570c0" vAlign=top align=middle>http://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/images/PHflag.gif PHILIPPINE SE COMPOSITE INDEXhttp://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/images/down.gif-6.01%</TH><TH style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #5570c0" vAlign=top align=middle>http://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/images/IDflag.gif JAKARTA SE COMPOSITE INDEXhttp://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/images/down.gif-5.83%</TH></TR><TR><TD align=middle>http://baby.boom.com.hk/charting/idx/SETI_TH.gif (http://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/country.asp?c=TH)</TD><TD align=middle>http://baby.boom.com.hk/charting/idx/PSI_PH.gif (http://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/country.asp?c=PH)</TD><TD align=middle>http://baby.boom.com.hk/charting/idx/JKSE_ID.gif (http://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/country.asp?c=ID)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Contemptuous
08-16-07, 12:06 AM
Sure looks mighty ugly.

3000-4000 Euro Pacific clients are holding right now. That's Peter Schiff's outfit. My broker in Newport Beach office says virtually none of them are selling a damn thing.

One thing you can say about Peter Schiff, the guy has nerves of steel. Seems the firm's philosophy rubs off on the clients - for better or worse. :rolleyes:

He's gotten quite wealthy off the strategy, holding the same gold shares through every last correction for eight or nine years. If he gets stinking rich from the strategy, you'll have to hand it to him - he earned it.

WDCRob
08-16-07, 12:21 AM
I went looking for the Asian markets after I posted last and have been watching.

I've been (mostly) out of stocks since May 2006, but was getting a bit twitchy when the Russell 3k went to 900. Got back in the black today compared to if I'd stayed in that index, and will sleep better tonight for not being exposed to tomorrow.

Have to say this is all a bit scary to someone who doesn't trade though. It's like sitting down at a real-money poker table for the first time, only a lot more so.

Jim Nickerson
08-16-07, 12:22 AM
Tomorrow, the fat lady screams.

EJ is very good, or prescient, or goddammed lucky, and I really think it is the first.

I think perhaps there will be SCREAMING in the Europa & US tomorrow, based on how the Asian markets are plunging tonight.

The US markets are very oversold and have been for some days now, and the question in my mind is whether they will bounce or flat out crash--based on Asia it is looking like the tendancy is to crash.

Contemptuous
08-16-07, 12:25 AM
WDCRob - Your absolutely right - ugliest market since 2002. Time for serious thinking if one is exposed to equities. I swear next time Eric Janszen says "sell everything" I will be accepting the advice without question, and glad of it. If there is a next time.

Contemptuous
08-16-07, 12:27 AM
Jim - There will be a ferocious bounce, further bewildering participants - that's my guess.

Jim Nickerson
08-16-07, 01:17 AM
Jim - There will be a ferocious bounce, further bewildering participants - that's my guess.

Perhaps you will be correct, for the sake of my own greed, I hope you are correct.

EJ
08-16-07, 01:30 AM
Perhaps you will be correct, for the sake of my own greed, I hope you are correct.

That was the bounce. Second big wave of fear coming.

Jim Nickerson
08-16-07, 01:44 AM
That was the bounce. Second big wave of fear coming.

Eric,

To what specifically does THAT refer, and down here in Texas we usually say "That thar."

Jim Nickerson
08-16-07, 02:21 AM
<TABLE style="WIDTH: 286pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=380 border=0 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 85pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 4132" width=113><COL style="WIDTH: 44pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2121" width=58><COL style="WIDTH: 58pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2816" width=77><COL style="WIDTH: 43pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2084" width=57><COL style="WIDTH: 56pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2742" width=75><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl35 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 129pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: colspan" width=171 colSpan=2 height=17>Asia(Roll over for charts)</TD><TD class=xl35 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 58pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=77></TD><TD class=xl42 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 43pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=57></TD><TD class=xl35 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 56pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=75></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl35 id=ataglance_futures_CLL_0_2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>Country: Index</TD><TD class=xl42 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">Last</TD><TD class=xl35 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"></TD><TD class=xl42 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"></TD><TD class=xl35 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl35 id=ataglance_futures_GCD_1_2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>DJ Asia-Pacific</TD><TD class=xl39 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" x:num>146.49</TD><TD class=xl40 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" align=right x:num>-4.32</TD><TD class=xl38 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" x:num>-2.86</TD><TD class=xl41 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" align=right x:num="-0.12699642431466032">-12.70%</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl35 id=ataglance_futures_DJC1_2_2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>Australia: All Ordinaries*</TD><TD class=xl37 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" x:num="5711.3">5711</TD><TD class=xl40 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" align=right x:num>-90.20</TD><TD class=xl38 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" x:num>-1.55</TD><TD class=xl52 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" align=right x:num="-0.11576095370800431">-11.58%</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 13.5pt" height=18><TD class=xl35 id=ataglance_futures_SPC1_3_2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 13.5pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=18>Australia: S&P/ASX*</TD><TD class=xl37 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" x:num="5687.1">5687</TD><TD class=xl40 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" align=right x:num>-100.90</TD><TD class=xl38 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" x:num>-1.74</TD><TD class=xl41 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" align=right x:num="-0.11487580153146976">-11.49%</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 13.5pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=18><TD class=xl44 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; HEIGHT: 13.5pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=18>China: DJ CBN China 600*</TD><TD class=xl43 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" x:num="36458.31">36458</TD><TD class=xl45 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" align=right x:num>-649.01</TD><TD class=xl46 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" x:num>-1.75</TD><TD class=xl52 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" align=right x:num="-1.9111267156595779E-2">-1.91%</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl35 id=indexes_asia_DJCBN600_3_1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>China: DJ Shanghai*</TD><TD class=xl37 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" x:num>480</TD><TD class=xl40 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" align=right x:num>-8.53</TD><TD class=xl38 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" x:num>-1.75</TD><TD class=xl41 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" align=right x:num="-1.7460544900006085E-2">-1.75%</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 13.5pt" height=18><TD class=xl35 id=ataglance_currency_JPY_0_1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 13.5pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=18>Hong Kong: Hang Seng*</TD><TD class=xl37 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" x:num="20585.14">20585</TD><TD class=xl40 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" align=right x:num>-790.58</TD><TD class=xl38 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" x:num>-3.70</TD><TD class=xl52 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" align=right x:num="-0.12522219884964417">-12.52%</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 13.5pt" height=18><TD class=xl44 id=ataglance_currency_EUR_1_1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; HEIGHT: 13.5pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=18>India: Bombay Sensex*</TD><TD class=xl43 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" x:num="14494.37">14494</TD><TD class=xl45 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" align=right x:num>-506.54</TD><TD class=xl46 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" x:num>-3.38</TD><TD class=xl52 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" align=right x:num="-8.6135835309412725E-2">-8.61%</TD></TR>
This is pasted out of my spreadsheet from 2:05AM EDT. Sorry for the screwed up formatting. The first number in the Middle column is points down, and the second is %down. The good news in Sri Lanka is up--green 4.44 points & 0.18%. The last column is appoximately how much the index has corrected off it's high (this is not exact data)

<TR style="HEIGHT: 14.25pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=19><TD class=xl35 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 14.25pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=19>Indonesia: JSX Index*</TD><TD class=xl37 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" x:num="1901.33">1901</TD><TD class=xl40 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" align=right x:num>-127.75</TD><TD class=xl38 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" x:num>-6.30</TD><TD class=xl52 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" align=right x:num="-0.20926837788831038">-20.93%</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl48 id=indexes_asia_JKCOMP_7_1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>Japan: Nikkei Average*</TD><TD class=xl47 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" x:num="16154.51">16155</TD><TD class=xl49 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" align=right x:num>-321.10</TD><TD class=xl50 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" x:num>-1.95</TD><TD class=xl52 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" align=right x:num="-0.11725870322982183">-11.73%</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl35 id=indexes_asia_NIKKE_8_1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>Japan: Nikkei 300*</TD><TD class=xl37 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" x:num="314.9">315</TD><TD class=xl40 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" align=right x:num>-5.26</TD><TD class=xl38 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" x:num>-1.64</TD><TD class=xl41 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" align=right x:num="-0.13370013755158192">-13.37%</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl35 id=indexes_asia_NIK300/O_9_1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>Japan: Topix Index*</TD><TD class=xl37 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" x:num="1567.46">1567</TD><TD class=xl40 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" align=right x:num>-26.69</TD><TD class=xl38 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" x:num>-1.67</TD><TD class=xl41 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" align=right x:num="-0.13732202512974898">-13.73%</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl35 id=indexes_asia_TOPX_10_1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>Malaysia: DJ Malaysia*</TD><TD class=xl37 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" x:num="239.13">239</TD><TD class=xl40 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" align=right x:num>-9.77</TD><TD class=xl38 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" x:num>-3.93</TD><TD class=xl52 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" align=right x:num="-0.19177341399939166">-19.18%</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl35 id=indexes_asia_MYDOW_11_1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>Pakistan: KSE 100*</TD><TD class=xl37 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" x:num="12691.49">12691</TD><TD class=xl40 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" align=right x:num>-95.81</TD><TD class=xl38 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" x:num>-0.75</TD><TD class=xl52 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" align=right x:num="-0.10637343572101">-10.64%</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=17><TD class=xl35 id=indexes_asia_KSE100_12_1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>Philippines: PSE Index*</TD><TD class=xl37 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" x:num="2942.31">2942</TD><TD class=xl40 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" align=right x:num>-188.03</TD><TD class=xl38 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" x:num>-6.01</TD><TD class=xl52 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" align=right x:num="-0.22618033200782686">-22.62%</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl35 id=indexes_asia_PSI_13_1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>S. Korea: Seoul Composite*</TD><TD class=xl37 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" x:num="1692.09">1692</TD><TD class=xl40 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" align=right x:num>-125.80</TD><TD class=xl38 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" x:num>-6.92</TD><TD class=xl52 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" align=right x:num="-0.1589173874142559">-15.89%</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl35 id=indexes_asia_SEU_14_1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>Singapore: DJ Singapore*</TD><TD class=xl37 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" x:num="252.77">253</TD><TD class=xl40 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" align=right x:num>-10.10</TD><TD class=xl38 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" x:num>-3.84</TD><TD class=xl41 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" align=right x:num="-0.15622392095336643">-15.62%</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl48 id=indexes_asia_SGDOW_15_1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>Singapore:Straits Times*</TD><TD class=xl47 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" x:num="3122.87">3123</TD><TD class=xl49 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" align=right x:num>-150.38</TD><TD class=xl50 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" x:num>-4.59</TD><TD class=xl52 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" align=right x:num="-0.14946182087568499">-14.95%</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl35 id=indexes_asia_STI_16_1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>Sri Lanka: Colombo All Share*</TD><TD class=xl37 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" x:num="2426.61">2427</TD><TD class=xl40 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: green; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" align=right x:num>4.44</TD><TD class=xl38 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: green; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" x:num>0.18</TD><TD class=xl41 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" align=right x:num="-0.1990778177881489">-19.91%</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl35 id=indexes_asia_CSE_17_1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>Taiwan: Weighted*</TD><TD class=xl37 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" x:num="8201.37">8201</TD><TD class=xl40 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" align=right x:num>-391.67</TD><TD class=xl38 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" x:num>-4.56</TD><TD class=xl52 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" align=right x:num="-0.1612108455730068">-16.12%</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl35 id=indexes_asia_TAI_18_1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>Thailand: SET*</TD><TD class=xl37 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" x:num="742.28">742</TD><TD class=xl40 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" align=right x:num>-31.64</TD><TD class=xl38 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" x:num>-4.09</TD><TD class=xl52 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; COLOR: red; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-ignore: style" align=right x:num="-0.16046869344914946">-16.05%</TD></TR>

<TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl35 id=indexes_asia_THAISI_19_1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17></TD><TD class=xl42 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"></TD><TD class=xl51 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num="-4.0608333333333337E-2" x:fmla="=+D23/100"></TD><TD class=xl53 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num="-4.060833333333334" x:fmla="=SUM(D4+D6+D8+D9+D10+D11+D14+D16+D17+D19+D21+D22)/12">-4.06</TD><TD class=xl36 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num="-0.1433974857884254" x:fmla="=SUM(E4+E6+E8+E9+E10+E11+E14+E16+E17+E19+E21+E22)/12">-14.34%</TD></TR>

</TBODY></TABLE>

The last 4.06 is the average percentage lost tonight, and the -14.34% is the average off highs.

rj1
08-16-07, 10:17 PM

Congratulations. You win the prize. :D

bill
08-17-07, 02:14 AM
<TABLE width="100%" border=0><!-- <tr> <td>http://www.itulip.com/forums/img\JPflag.gif</td> </tr> --><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD>WOW Tanking 8/17/2007 2:08:49 PM (HKT)

</TD></TR><TR><TH style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #5570c0" noWrap align=left>NIKKEI 225 INDEX http://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/img/down.gif -5.42% </TH></TR><TR><TD>http://baby.boom.com.hk/charting/idx/N225_JP.gif

<TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TH style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #30427d" align=left></TH><TH style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #30427d"></TH></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TH style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #5570c0" noWrap align=left>SHANGHAI SE B SHARE INDEX http://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/img/down.gif -4.05% </TH></TR><TR><TD>http://baby.boom.com.hk/charting/idx/SSEB_CN.gif Historical... (http://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/snapshot.asp?s=^SSEB&m=CN&t=6m)</TD></TR><TR><TH style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #5570c0" noWrap align=left>SHENZHEN SE B SHARE INDEX http://baby.boom.com.hk/portfolio/img/down.gif -6.45% </TH></TR><TR><TD>http://baby.boom.com.hk/charting/idx/SZSB_CN.gif</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Contemptuous
08-17-07, 03:12 AM
RJ1 -

Looks like there is no bounce in sight yet - take a look at Bill's track of the far east markets from yesterday evening in the post directly above yours. This looks like it's shaping up to be a series of rolling wave declines. Investors are getting eaten alive if this runs through Friday. If it runs into next week it's going to be picking up some serious momentum.

I'm not feeling too comfortable with my silver holdings - but they are one hell of a lot higher quality in a stock market bear than any equities.

rj1
08-17-07, 01:10 PM
RJ1 -

Looks like there is no bounce in sight yet - take a look at Bill's track of the far east markets from yesterday evening in the post directly above yours. This looks like it's shaping up to be a series of rolling wave declines. Investors are getting eaten alive if this runs through Friday. If it runs into next week it's going to be picking up some serious momentum.

I'm not feeling too comfortable with my silver holdings - but they are one hell of a lot higher quality in a stock market bear than any equities.

Well, the Fed pulled the rug up from underneath you before the bell and your "ferocious bounce" occurred.

It looks like your silver is doing okay though.

bill
08-23-07, 10:54 AM
http://www.itulip.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9616#poststop

My last purchase was 123.10 ,,,wait for the bounce to get in.

Bounce in full force.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aRrK8qGV91e0&refer=home

Yen Has Biggest Two-Day Drop in Three Years Versus Euro on Risk

By Bo Nielsen and Aaron Pan
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/data?pid=avimage&iid=iEms4wdLvQm0
http://images.bloomberg.com/r06/news/enlarge_details.gif (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=photos&sid=aRrK8qGV91e0)

Aug. 23 (Bloomberg) -- The yen fell against the euro, heading for its biggest two-day drop since 2004, as investors resumed riskier bets financed by borrowings in Japan.
The Bank of Japan today maintained the lowest interest rates among major economies, spurring gains in high-yielding currencies such as the New Zealand dollar. Countrywide Financial Corp., the biggest U.S. mortgage lender, said it received a $2 billion infusion from Bank of America Corp., reassuring investors the global credit rout is being contained.
``People are starting to think the credit crisis is coming to an end,'' said Richard Vullo, head of corporate foreign exchange sales in New York at Fortis Financial Services LLC. ``With all the good news, people are going back to carry trades, and the yen is falling.''
The yen dropped 0.93 percent to 157.66 per euro at 10:26 a.m. New York time. It has fallen 2.4 percent against the European currency in the past two days for the biggest decline since March 2004. The yen declined 0.80 percent to 116.26 against the dollar.
The Bank of Japan today kept its benchmark rate at 0.5 percent. One of nine members of the central bank's board, Atsushi Mizuno, voted to raise the overnight lending rate.
The central bank's governor, Toshihiko Fukui, said in Tokyo there's a risk that keeping interest rates too low will spur risky investment. He also said the bank was watching how credit- market turmoil would affect confidence.
Yen's Decline
The Japanese currency dropped 2.5 percent against the New Zealand dollar and 2.2 percent versus Australia's dollar as investors returned to carry trades.
``It's far too early to assume that risk is gone,'' said Camilla Sutton, co-head of currency strategy in Toronto at Scotia Capital Inc. ``These are temporary moves. Consumers have held up the U.S. economy so far, but the credit crisis will challenge them.''
A gauge of U.S. consumer confidence in August released by the Conference Board next week is forecast to match the lowest reading this year, according to the median forecast of 24 economists surveyed by Bloomberg.
First-time applications for jobless benefits fell last week, evidence that the U.S. labor market is holding up in the face of a widening credit crunch.
Initial unemployment claims declined by 2,000, in line with forecasts, to 322,000 in the week that ended Aug. 18, the Labor Department said today in Washington. The four-week moving average, a less volatile measure, rose to 317,750 from 313,000.
Last Week's Advance
The yen last week posted the biggest increase against the euro since March 2000 as the subprime mortgage crisis spread through global credit markets.
The U.S. Standard & Poor's 500 Index has gained 4.1 percent in the past five days after losing 6 percent the previous five, signaling investors are regaining their appetite for risk.
Japan's benchmark rate compares with 8.25 percent in New Zealand, 6.5 percent in Australia and 5.25 percent in the U.S. The yield on the three-month euro-yen future for September rose 2 basis points to 0.85 percent today, indicating traders are betting the BOJ will increase rates at the next meeting on Sept. 18-19.
Investors saw a 39 percent chance of a rate increase next month, according to Credit Suisse Group calculations based on interest payments.
`Right Thing'
``The Bank of Japan did the right thing today,'' said Callum Henderson, head of foreign-exchange strategy at Standard Chartered Bank in Singapore. ``They'll probably wait a couple of months until there are further signs the Japanese economy is recovering.''
Volatility on one-month dollar-yen options fell to 11.40 percent from 12.35 percent yesterday. Lower volatility may encourage carry trades as it implies less risk of losing money on exchange-rate swings.
The euro rose 0.12 percent to $1.3559 per dollar, near the highest in a week, on speculation the global credit-market crisis won't hurt economic growth enough for the European Central Bank to delay raising interest rates as soon as September.
Europe's single currency headed for a two-day rally after the ECB indicated yesterday it was sticking to the policy expressed by President Jean-Claude Trichet on Aug. 2, when he pledged ``strong vigilance'' on inflation, a phrase that has signaled each of the eight rate increases since late 2005.

*T*
10-06-08, 01:15 PM
That fat lady got a proper pair of lungs on her, ain't she?