Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Presidential candidate Best reflects your issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Presidential candidate Best reflects your issues?

Came across a good web site - very useful for matching your issues to candidates.

First go to http://www.dehp.net/candidate/ and make your preferences known.

You can look at how everybody else who has taken the tests does in terms of candidates that most closely reflect their views.
    http://www.dehp.net/candidate/stats.php

You can also go to the website of the person who did this
    http://www.mattwaterman.net/comments...y070724-013624

You will find the results interesting.

As an aside, the pages were developed by a marine who is a high school graduate, and posted in Afghanistan.

Re: Which Presidential candidate Best reflects your issues?

Originally posted by Rajiv View Post
    Came across a good web site - very useful for matching your issues to candidates.

First go to http://www.dehp.net/candidate/ and make your preferences known.
    Paul and Gravel both came up as candidates that agree with me.
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    - Charles Mackay

Comment

Good fun. All except the Kucinich result.

Kucinich 63
      Gravel 50
      Clinton 41
      Obama 41
      Biden 41
      Edwards 40
      Dodd 37
      Richardson 34
      Paul 24

McCain -12
      Cox -18
      Thompson -22
      Brownback -30
      Giuliani -31
      Huckabee -35
      Tancredo -48
      Romney -55
      Hunter -60

Comment

Originally posted by WDCRob View Post
        Good fun. All except the Kucinich result.

Kucinich 63
        Gravel 50
        Clinton 41
        Obama 41
        Biden 41
        Edwards 40
        Dodd 37
        Richardson 34
        Paul 24

McCain -12
        Cox -18
        Thompson -22
        Brownback -30
        Giuliani -31
        Huckabee -35
        Tancredo -48
        Romney -55
        Hunter -60
        I guess you consider yourself a "reasonable" person, and perhaps your coming up with Kucinich as the candidate most approximating your perspective suggests how far all the others are away from "reason." Fer shure, he ain't gonna win, so where will that leave you?
        Last edited by Jim Nickerson; August 09, 2007, 09:51 AM.
        Jim 69 y/o

"...Texans...the lowest form of white man there is." Robert Duvall, as Al Sieber, in "Geronimo." (see "Location" for examples.)

Dedicated to the idea that all people deserve a chance for a healthy productive life. B&M Gates Fdn.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. Unknown.

Comment

Well, I'd never vote based just on a candidate's stance on the issues. The role is at least 50% figurehead, and Kucinich fails that test miserably.

You can have nutty beliefs (witness the current occupant), but you can't present them nuttily.

Comment

Well, I'd never vote based just on a candidate's stance on the issues. The role is at least 50% figurehead, and Kucinich fails that test miserably.

You can have nutty beliefs (witness the current occupant), but you can't present them nuttily.
            Are you being cynical here, or real? Shit, if you aren't going to select a candidate based on issues, what criterion is useful?

As I see the fact, all the jaybirds lie so who's to know what they will do once elected despite what they said to get elected.
            Jim 69 y/o

"...Texans...the lowest form of white man there is." Robert Duvall, as Al Sieber, in "Geronimo." (see "Location" for examples.)

Dedicated to the idea that all people deserve a chance for a healthy productive life. B&M Gates Fdn.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. Unknown.

Comment

Tell Me who is more credible? look at the two videos below

How to create an Angry American

and then this

Kucinich grills Rumsfeld on Tillman coverup

You might also be interested in Studs Terkel's take on Kucinich in 2002
              Last edited by Rajiv; August 09, 2007, 10:34 AM.

Comment

I'm not nearly as cynical about candidates/people as you are Jim. I think for the most part Presidents attempt to do what they said they were going to try and do.

Most Presidents will eventually be faced with something critical and unexpected that requires them to be flexible, persuasive and make good decisions. I generally don't think those skills are captured in a 20-page policy paper or a 10-point plan for issue X. Which, IMO, is why both Kerry and Gore lost to Bush.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Nickerson View Post
                  As I see the fact, all the jaybirds lie so who's to know what they will do once elected despite what they said to get elected.
                  Truly.

These websites are helpful in showing you how well the candidates match your views on some major issues, but there are always aspects of some platforms that are ignored. For example, Ron Paul's talk about getting rid of the Federal Reserve, etc. So I'm not sure this gives anyone a complete picture. This also does not give you a sense of their charisma and leadership abilities, if any. It's one thing to talk about an issue, it's another to be able to act upon that talk.

Is this a scale of 0-100? If so, everyone failed in my results. Just like the last election. There are no winners in a game of losers.

Comment

Originally posted by zoog View Post
                    Truly.
                    Is this a scale of 0-100? If so, everyone failed in my results. Just like the last election. There are no winners in a game of losers.
                    It is a relative measure, and depends upon how strongly you felt about each issue. The Methodology from the web site -

Here's how it works, if you want to know. If you agree with a candidate, he gets point(s). If you disagree, take point(s) away. Unkown/other results in no points. The number of points given or taken depends on the weight you set. "Meh" is worth 1 point, "important" 2, and "key" is worth 5. The items you disagree about will be listed directly underneath each candidate (if they score greater than zero)
                    Since there were 25 questions, the maximum score -- if you thought that all 25 issues were key issues for you -- would be 125 and the minimum -125

Comment

Kucinich 49
                      Gravel 48
                      Obama 30
                      Richardson 24
                      Clinton 23
                      Biden 23
                      Edwards 23
                      Dodd 20
                      Paul 18

McCain -14
                      Cox -15
                      Brownback -20
                      Thompson -20
                      Giuliani -25
                      Huckabee -27
                      Tancredo -43
                      Hunter -51
                      Romney -53

If we can get enough people to take this test, it may be what Kucinich needs to make that final push into the second tier of candidates. ;)

I had never considered him before at all, but now I feel I at least need to give him a look. And who is Gravel, anyway? Are my views that far out of the mainstream that I myself haven't even heard of the candidates who espouse them?

Comment

Ah I see. Math is hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Andreuccio View Post
                          Are my views that far out of the mainstream that I myself haven't even heard of the candidates who espouse them?
                          If you're relatively well-informed and sane, it's possible..

Comment

If you're relatively well-informed and sane, it's possible..
                            One good quotation I have learned on iTulip is in effect, "If you don't read the newspapers, you are uninformed; if you do, you are misinformed." Mark Twain as I recall.

Personally I am uninformed, and questionably sane, but nevertheless, I'd like to put forth on this thread a question:

Who are the three candidates most likely to be in the running for the Democratic and Republican nominations?

If there is enough response for me to gather who those six are, then it seems interesting to me to put up a poll and ask iTulipers who will end up getting the nominations? Not a poll of who would individuals like to see as candidates, but when all the BS reality of politics filter them out, who will be the two dudes or dudette opposing one another.

My pisspoor opinions D's: Clinton, Edwards, Obama. R's Giuliani, Romney, McCain
                            Last edited by Jim Nickerson; August 09, 2007, 11:47 PM.
                            Jim 69 y/o

Comment

McCain is toast -- his campaign has completely imploded. Substitute Thompson.

Comment

Working...
                              X