PDA

View Full Version : A small example of technological obsolescence in action?

c1ue
03-31-10, 04:01 PM
I've been buying iPhones for the new business, and one of the used iPhones came with an app called 'Carpenter'

It turns out it uses the iPhone's gyroscope or equivalent to create a carpenter's level.

It doesn't replace a true professional's electronic one (?) but it certainly should cut into sales of those air bubble $5 and $10 ones in hardware stores.

GRG55
04-01-10, 12:31 AM
I've been buying iPhones for the new business, and one of the used iPhones came with an app called 'Carpenter'

It turns out it uses the iPhone's gyroscope or equivalent to create a carpenter's level.

It doesn't replace a true professional's electronic one (?) but it certainly should cut into sales of those air bubble $5 and $10 ones in hardware stores.

Any decent carpenter would have paid considerably more than $5 or $10 for his/her spirit level [that's what those "air bubble" devices are called :)]...and I am pretty confident the iPhone isn't going to replace that tool for anyone who actually makes their living as a carpenter.

But I'll bet the iPhone version will come in real handy at the campsite when it comes time to level the RV.

jmdpet
04-01-10, 09:57 AM
c1ue,

Looks like you used a mirror to take these pictures. Tip for next time: pushing the only two buttons at the same time takes a screenshot.

don
04-01-10, 12:35 PM
C1ue- on the level now, were you driving when you took those pictures ;)

PS: Of the hundreds of commercial job sites I've been on, most have concrete floors. Carpenters wouldn't risk dropping their iPhones on the deck :eek: while using it as a level. :)

c1ue
04-01-10, 11:32 PM
Any decent carpenter would have paid considerably more than $5 or $10 for his/her spirit level [that's what those "air bubble" devices are called :)]...and I am pretty confident the iPhone isn't going to replace that tool for anyone who actually makes their living as a carpenter.

As I said, I doubt it would replace the professional's. But how many levelling devices are bought by professionals as opposed to home improvers?

Looks like you used a mirror to take these pictures. Tip for next time: pushing the only two buttons at the same time takes a screenshot.

Thanks for the tip. I actually have 2 - used one to take the pic of the other.

on the level now, were you driving when you took those pictures ;)

No, that's my coffee table you're looking at...

GRG55
04-01-10, 11:33 PM
C1ue- on the level now, were you driving when you took those pictures ;)

PS: Of the hundreds of commercial job sites I've been on, most have concrete floors. Carpenters wouldn't risk dropping their iPhones on the deck :eek: while using it as a level. :)

That plumb-bob pointing up is definitely an added feature of the iPhone. I have to admit that my brass plumb-bob suspended on cotton string can't do that...:cool:

c1ue
04-02-10, 02:30 PM
That plumb-bob pointing up is definitely an added feature of the iPhone. I have to admit that my brass plumb-bob suspended on cotton string can't do that...:cool:

The pic is upside down. But you'll note there is also a concentric circle to denote absolute 0,0