PDA

View Full Version : Okay Goldbugs, fess up -- how much you got?!

doom&gloom
12-02-09, 02:01 AM
How many ounces do you own? :D

Jay
12-02-09, 06:50 AM
I assume we are talking physical right? No equivalents. Or is GTU or bullionvault allowed?

*T*
12-02-09, 07:23 AM
I assume we are talking physical right? No equivalents. Or is GTU or bullionvault allowed?

bullionvault is physical in my book.

strittmatter
12-02-09, 07:40 AM
That's classified.

#1 raw scrap copper however - (remember that worlds largest ball of yarn in the movie "michael" with john travolta?), please send me a bulk buyer when the sell trigger goes off. thanks.

Chris
12-02-09, 07:54 AM
65% of my net worth.

jiimbergin
12-02-09, 09:15 AM
Do you mean physical or are you also including GTU and CEF etc.? Total is 40% of my net worth (excluding real estate).

ricket
12-02-09, 10:24 AM
Nice try IRS ;)

doom&gloom
12-02-09, 01:34 PM
Nice try IRS ;)

ROFLMAO! Sorry, I am NOT the IRS. And I want to become the
best friend of the guy withthe 500-750 range. Can I get in your will? :D

BigLandbaron
12-03-09, 12:15 AM
The results pareto should resemble a normal distribution.

I think we need some more data.

Alvaro Spain
12-03-09, 03:55 AM
I have, as for today, 30% of my cash invested in gold, bought at an average price of 1.160 US$.

I would like to ask a question here. EJ recommends having 30% of our assets in gold, but I don't know if the optimun percentage would depend on the available cash that you have. That is, if you had 50,000US$, 500,000US$ or 5,000,000US$ cash available for investing, would 30% be the correct amount in each of the three cases? Or would it be problably higher or lower in some of those scenarios? Perhaps someone with good common sense can give me an answer?

Alvaro

FRED
12-03-09, 10:21 AM
I have, as for today, 30% of my cash invested in gold, bought at an average price of 1.160 US$.

I would like to ask a question here. EJ recommends having 30% of our assets in gold, but I don't know if the optimun percentage would depend on the available cash that you have. That is, if you had 50,000US$, 500,000US$ or 5,000,000US$ cash available for investing, would 30% be the correct amount in each of the three cases? Or would it be problably higher or lower in some of those scenarios? Perhaps someone with good common sense can give me an answer?

Alvaro

As a reminder, iTulip does not dispense investment advice. We explain what we are doing and why we are doing it. Some of our readers may choose to follow our lead. Others combine our views with the views of other analysts.

Alvaro Spain
12-03-09, 11:16 AM
I am aware that EJ is not giving investment advice. My question had a different intention, because I really don't know much about finance/economy, and I dont trust my bankers, so I am by myself in this world of investing. The question was earnestly asked but, in any case, if it could cause someone trouble of any kind, I prefer not to have any answer.

Alvaro

jiimbergin
12-03-09, 11:40 AM
How many ounces do you own? :D

You really have not answered the question about physical verus CEF and GTU. I have not voted since I am still waiting for an answer:D

doom&gloom
12-04-09, 02:56 AM
You really have not answered the question about physical verus CEF and GTU. I have not voted since I am still waiting for an answer:D

well, when I put it up I looked at it as a "physical thing" to get an idea of
how committed people are to owning physical. the ability to buy CEF & GTU
is a daily trade you can exit anytime. I see physical as more of a "committment".

*T*
12-04-09, 04:29 AM

Alvaro

You need enough cash around to meet short term liquidity needs without having to sell anything.

For the record, I am about 95% in.

Raz
12-04-09, 11:39 AM
My current position is 31.0 % of my liquid net worth, almost evenly divided between bullion coin and GTU.

It would be significantly higher but for the large position I hold in oil & gas equities - currently about 26%, down from 32% of my LNW.
I also own positions in several other common stocks but I've been selling them since we met Grantham's target at SPX 1100.

jimmygu3
12-04-09, 02:48 PM
The results pareto should resemble a normal distribution.

I think we need some more data.

Here's a chart of the data. Rather than using the mean for all the results from each bracket, I distributed the results evenly throughout the ranges with linear interpolation. For brackets with only one response I used the mean. For the one ">1000" result I arbitrarily chose 1125.
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj317/jimmygu3/Picture1.png

The 58 iTulipers who have responded as of today own a total of 7528 oz. ($8.8M) of gold. The mean is 130 oz. and the median is 57 oz. The one person holding over 1000 oz. owns more gold than the bottom 65% of iTulipers combined. The top 10% own about half of the gold.

All this gold combined would form a 9-inch cube.

Jimmy

Chomsky
12-04-09, 03:00 PM
Here's a chart of the data. Rather than using the mean for all the results from each bracket, I distributed the results evenly throughout the ranges with linear interpolation. For brackets with only one response I used the mean. For the one ">1000" result I arbitrarily chose 1125.
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj317/jimmygu3/Picture1.png

The 58 iTulipers who have responded as of today own a total of 7528 oz. ($8.8M) of gold. The mean is 130 oz. and the median is 57 oz. The one person holding over 1000 oz. owns more gold than the bottom 65% of iTulipers combined. The top 10% own about half of the gold.

All this gold combined would form a 9-inch cube.

Jimmy

Sounds a lot like the wealth distribution in America, no?

jpatter666
12-04-09, 03:24 PM
I'd be interested in a similar chart, but including electronic but audited (i.e. GTU/CEF -- maybe some of the audited pure-play silver).

I'm only willing to hold so much physical. I can't afford a private security force....

jimmygu3
12-04-09, 03:35 PM
Sounds a lot like the wealth distribution in America, no?

Yes, but the wealth disparity in America is much more severe. I would estimate that the median iTuliper is in about the 85th percentile among the general populous. This chart might more closely represent the wealth distribution among the top 20-30% of Americans.

Jimmy

Chomsky
12-04-09, 04:02 PM
Yes, but the wealth disparity in America is much more severe. I would estimate that the median iTuliper is in about the 85th percentile among the general populous. This chart might more closely represent the wealth distribution among the top 20-30% of Americans.

Jimmy

It's like a fractal set, with eerie self-similarity as you dig down and get more granular.

ocelotl
12-08-09, 10:07 PM
I'm not including silver, combined would multiply my choice by five.

BigLandbaron
12-08-09, 11:02 PM

Jimmy

I'm 30% phys when compared to my liquid assets (gold, cash, MMKT), but 30% becomes 5% if compared to my real net worth.

What we are observing here is simply how much gold (one of of many possible assets) we each hold. What do we really want to measure, average iTuliper gold hoards ... or iTuliper metals sentiment as a % of all owned assets? :confused:

We now have an idea where we stand in the iTulip gold hoard pecking order, FWIW.

Measuring the sentiment of someone who is 5% gold with a huge net worth vs one who is 95% committed to gold with a much smaller net worth is very interesting data in my mind. A gold or metals sentiment indicator of sorts.

"What % of your true net worth is currently invested in gold or PMs" instead of "how much gold do you have".