Friday Night Chill Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday Night Chill Out

In case some of you threatened by the rising red star, here are some Chinese traditional music for your Friday relaxation. They are by the China Central Chinese Orchestra, 1999 performance in Vienna.

These musics truly show the peaceful nature of the Chinese people.

Tonight is the Chinese traditional Mid Autum Festival(Moon Festival). Look outside of your window, the moon is at its biggest and brightest of the year. My friends: don't worry, be happy, enjoy!

Pizzicato Polka

Dance of the Yao Tribe

Dragon Boat Race

Blossoms on a Spring Moonlit Night

Spring Festival Overture

Reflections of the Moon on the Water of Erquan

Flying Partridge

A Hundred Birds Paying Homage to the Phoenix

San Liu

Winter Ducks Playing with Water

Joyous Beijing News Spreads to the Border

Last edited by skyson; October 02, 2009, 07:49 PM.

Re: Friday Night Chill Out

Chinese traditions are wonderful

Too bad they have nothing to do with the communist party, eh?

Originally posted by skyson View Post
    In case some of you threatened by the rising red star, here are some Chinese traditional music for your Friday relaxation. They are by the China Central Chinese Orchestra, 1999 performance in Vienna.

These musics truly show the peaceful nature of the Chinese people.

Tonight is the Chinese traditional Mid Autum Festival(Moon Festival). Look outside of your window, the moon is at its biggest and brightest of the year. My friends: don't worry, be happy, enjoy!
    I realized later my post could be taken as meaning some offense.

Apologies for that. None intended, just a quick off the cuff reply.
    Last edited by Spartacus; October 03, 2009, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
      Chinese traditions are wonderful

Too bad they have nothing to do with the communist party, eh?
      of course. the same as western classical music has nothing to do with Obama, et al.

Comment

Are you yourself Chinese?

if you are, could you tell me, is there a traditional Chinese flute type instrument, like the Japanese Shakuhachi or the Indian Bansuri?

And where would some pieces using these be available? Traditional, right? Not westernized pop stuff.

The Chinese shopkeepers around here don't understand me or seem to be scared of me (dunno why, six foot rough lookin brown guys ...)

of course. the same as western classical music has nothing to do with Obama, et al.

Comment

Thanks for posting Skyson - I have had not had the pleasure of hearing Chinnesse Traditional music much - uplifting.

I will be adding some to my Western Classical Music collection in the near future I am happy to take the beautiful and transcendental from any culture. ;)
          "that each simple substance has relations which express all the others"

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
            Are you yourself Chinese?

if you are, could you tell me, is there a traditional Chinese flute type instrument, like the Japanese Shakuhachi or the Indian Bansuri?

And where would some pieces using these be available? Traditional, right? Not westernized pop stuff.

The Chinese shopkeepers around here don't understand me or seem to be scared of me (dunno why, six foot rough lookin brown guys ...)
            You mean Di Zi and Xiao?

Maybe you could print the picture when you go for shopping?

The shopkeepers in China town generally(I am trying very hard not to generalize here), but generally are not very educated when they were back home, and have not much education opportunities in the new country due to various family and financial reasons(I do admire them to sacrifice for their children, etc.). So they will feel very embarrassing or intimidating when come accross a non-Chinese speaking customer, not scared of you. Have you ever find a sales person not wanting to sell you something?;)

There are some good Chinese music stores in Vancouver China town, and I imagine Toronto would have more.

Interesting websites:
            http://www.torontochineseorchestra.com/tco/default.aspx
            http://www.vancouverchinesemusic.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Diarmuid View Post
              Thanks for posting Skyson - I have had not had the pleasure of hearing Chinnesse Traditional music much - uplifting.

I will be adding some to my Western Classical Music collection in the near future I am happy to take the beautiful and transcendental from any culture. ;)
              good to hear you like the music. the videos i posted would be a good start. the english title would be something like: "Vienna Golden Hall Spring Festival Performance, China Central Chinese Orchestra". if you manage to find it at the music store, it is well worth to listen. i would also recommend another great CD by chinese flute master Tam Po Shek(谭宝硕), titled "Boobam Zen(箫中禅)". wonderful experience.

chinese classical music is very different from any other type of music. like other forms of chinese art, it is gentle, natural, and very abstract. the rythm is less strong, unlike disco, africa music, south america music, or even east indian music. probably because of this, it is less popular in the west, i guess?

when i was little, my parents would take us to the opera house in the town, and we got to be treated with some not-so-often entertainment, like this, this, and this. people from the whole town aggregated in that little performance hall. the crowd, the noise, the music, and the extravagant clothings on stage, still linger in my memory.

when i became a teenager, western music slowly coming in, The Carpenters, WHAM, rock-n-roll, disco; high volume speakers, flashing lights, and twisted bodies. just pure excitment!

but now, as i matured, i again start to appreciate the deeper meaning of our traditional art. nothing compared to the experience of listening to some chinese traditional pieces under a tree, beside a lake, or by the water fall, like our ancient masters did. i was told that the masters would kept themselves alone in solitude for three days, take a shower, and change clothing, before they performed their master piece in a Zen-like state...

this is a good one.
              Last edited by skyson; October 04, 2009, 01:27 PM.

Comment

but now, as i matured, i again start to appreciate the deeper meaning of our traditional art.
                Thank you Skyson - I have had the same experience, and as a quid pro quo, I post a song from my cultures traditional art, I hope you enjoy.

"that each simple substance has relations which express all the others"

Comment

"You mean Di Zi and Xiao?"

I recall that the "membrane" hole was to be covered by fish skin(?), producing a peculiar buzzing quality?

I actually have a few of these Chinese flutes, bought some 35 years ago in some small shop in Stockholm, made of bamboo and decorated with calligraphy - very nice to look at.

I used to play the recorder avidly, and collected some native flutes such as these and the Swedish spilapipa, etc., though I never really tried to become proficient at playing them.
                  Justice is the cornerstone of the world

Comment

Working...
                  X