• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• then I picked up the shotgun...

Because it feels good, Fred.

August 14, 2009, 10:58 am

Back at Work, Harlem Store Owner Recounts Shooting

By A. G. Sulzberger AND Christine Haughney

A day after shooting four men who tried to rob his restaurant supply store, killing two of them, Charles Augusto Jr., 72, was back at work in Harlem on Friday morning. His feelings the day after he pulled the trigger? “I wish I didn’t need to,” he said. Mr. Augusto, who goes by Gus, opened the shop, the Kaplan Brothers Blue Flame Corporation, at 523 West 125th Street, near Amsterdam Avenue, at 8 a.m. He was accompanied by an employee who had been hit with a pistol during the robbery Thursday afternoon. After the employee was struck, Mr. Augusto picked up his shotgun and fired it three times.

The shots killed two men, James Morgan, 29, and Raylin Footman, 21, and wounded two others, Bernard Witherspoon and Shamel McCloud, both 21, the police said.

Mr. Augusto said he had bought the gun, a Winchester 12-gauge pump-action with a pistol-grip handle, after a robbery 20 years ago and had a permit for it. “Not even touched in 20 years,” he said. “Not even touched. I wish I didn’t need to.”

The employee, who goes by J. B. and declined to give his last name, said that he “lost my mind” while the robbers tried to restrain him with duct tape, and that when he struggled, he was hit with the pistol. “Better him with a tag on his toe than my mother planning a funeral for me,” he said of the gunman.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...s-shooting/?hp

Re: then I picked up the shotgun...

Originally posted by don View Post
    Because it feels good, Fred.

August 14, 2009, 10:58 am

Back at Work, Harlem Store Owner Recounts Shooting

By A. G. Sulzberger AND Christine Haughney

A day after shooting four men who tried to rob his restaurant supply store, killing two of them, Charles Augusto Jr., 72, was back at work in Harlem on Friday morning. His feelings the day after he pulled the trigger? “I wish I didn’t need to,” he said. Mr. Augusto, who goes by Gus, opened the shop, the Kaplan Brothers Blue Flame Corporation, at 523 West 125th Street, near Amsterdam Avenue, at 8 a.m. He was accompanied by an employee who had been hit with a pistol during the robbery Thursday afternoon. After the employee was struck, Mr. Augusto picked up his shotgun and fired it three times.

The shots killed two men, James Morgan, 29, and Raylin Footman, 21, and wounded two others, Bernard Witherspoon and Shamel McCloud, both 21, the police said.

Mr. Augusto said he had bought the gun, a Winchester 12-gauge pump-action with a pistol-grip handle, after a robbery 20 years ago and had a permit for it. “Not even touched in 20 years,” he said. “Not even touched. I wish I didn’t need to.”

The employee, who goes by J. B. and declined to give his last name, said that he “lost my mind” while the robbers tried to restrain him with duct tape, and that when he struggled, he was hit with the pistol. “Better him with a tag on his toe than my mother planning a funeral for me,” he said of the gunman.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...s-shooting/?hp
    Killing two "brothas" in Harlem? And his business is located directly across the street from the biggest housing project in the city?

This guy...is as good as dead. One of the "homies" are going to "keep it real."

"Why would they want to rob a store?"
    Because that's what they do.

"He got money."
    Apparantly, not enough.
    Last edited by Quincy K; August 14, 2009, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quincy K View Post
      Killing two "brothas" in Harlem? And his business is located directly across the street from the biggest housing project in the city?

This guy...is as good as dead. One of the "homies" are going to "keep it real."

"Why would they want to rob a store?"
      Because that's what they do.

"He got money."
      Apparantly, not enough.

Are you seriously implying that giving up or doing nothing would be better, or that all Harlem project residents approve of the "brothas" actions?
      Last edited by bart; August 14, 2009, 04:35 PM.
      http://www.NowAndTheFuture.com

Comment

Any thread related to guns automatically moves to Political Abyss.
        Ed.

Comment

Actually, it gets better -- from the linked earlier story

The first shot took down the gunman at the front. He died almost immediately, according to the police, who said he was 29 and had been arrested for gun possession in Queens last year and was the nephew of a police officer.

Comment

Originally posted by bart View Post
            Are you seriously implying that giving up would be better, or that Harlem project residents all approve of the "brothas" actions?
            No. Not doing business there to begin with is the correct choice. And no, not all the Harlem project residents approve of their actions.

But 4500 residents is a large number to be hoping for universal amnesty.

I had some business close to some housing projects infested with "brothas" before. Needless to say, I don't recommend it.

Sure. Some of them(generally the older ones who have no way out) are very good people. Unfortunately, they are a very, very small percentage.

Comment

he used his shotgun after the robbers started pistol whipping one of his employees. i read the original nyt article, including comments from members of the gathering crowd, and i think most of the neighbors approved.

Comment

Originally posted by FRED View Post
                Any thread related to guns automatically moves to Political Abyss.
                ...because there's no section titled Societal Abyss?

Yet?

Comment

This guy and his employee are alive today because he owned a gun and used it to protect himself.

Comment

homicides going down compared to last year in NY (72 less than in the same period last year)

http://projects.nytimes.com/crime/homicides/map

http://infosthetics.com/archives/200...2003-2009.html

Comment

Working...
                    X