June 15, 2006: This might be more amusing if it were not real

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• June 15, 2006: This might be more amusing if it were not real

An interview of a U.S. Congressman by a comedian is supposed to be funny, but not this way.
    Congressman Westmoreland is not trying to be funny. It's like a reverse Ali G. Rather than the comedian asking crazy questions and the interviewee attempting straight answers, Colbert delivers straight questions and gets nutty answers.

Sincerely,

Eric Janszen

p.s. What's this?
    Last edited by FRED; June 19, 2006, 09:18 PM.
    Ed.

That is disturbing.

Comment

What is it specifically that is so outrageous?

What is it that's obviously outrageous?

Personally, I found the fact that he didn't know the ten commandments while pushing to put them into public buildings is outrageous.

I also find the idea of putting the ten commandments into public buildings outrageous.

The part about eliminating the department of education I agree with.

Comment

I'd cut defense first

Originally posted by ChessMan
        What is it that's obviously outrageous?

Personally, I found the fact that he didn't know the ten commandments while pushing to put them into public buildings is outrageous.

I also find the idea of putting the ten commandments into public buildings outrageous.

The part about eliminating the department of education I agree with.
        Is the dept of ed the first thing you'd get rid of? How about cutting back dept of defense...

http://www.warresisters.org/piechart.htm

Comment

Difference between the DOD and Dept of Ed

The DOD doesn't force local governments to increase spending to unsustainable levels. Sure the Feds are out of control with spending - but, the spending on the local/State level is out-of-sight. The issuance of Muni bonds is out of control - sorry can find the stats.

The Department of Education is one the primary forces making affordable housing impossible. Education is approximately 70% - 80% of most towns budgets - Education is a significant portion of most state budgets.

Perhaps the Department of Defense should mandate that every Police force acquire short range strategic nuclear weapons - this is what the the Department of Ed does for your local Town/City. Towns are forced to increase capital expenditures and increase Operating expenses to maintain these "improved facilities".

Education is important - but, over spending should not be confused with better Education.

Disclaimer: My Parents were Public School Teachers.

Comment

Originally posted by metalman
            Is the dept of ed the first thing you'd get rid of? How about cutting back dept of defense...

http://www.warresisters.org/piechart.htm
            Yes cutting back the DOD is a good idea too.

The department of Transportation isn't needed either. I'd eliminate that too.

The department of Homeland Security can be cut dramatically too.

Isn't there a department of Energy? What a joke. Of course that should be eliminated too.

There must be dozens more that are not needed. What do we need the federal government for anyway other than the very limited powers to which they are supposed to be confined?

Comment

Working...
            X