Obama on US economic crisis: 'The fire is now out'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama on US economic crisis: 'The fire is now out'

WASHINGTON — US President Barack Obama defended his administration's response to the economic crisis over the last six months, declaring: "The fire is now out."

"I think that we have stepped back from the abyss. I think we've put out the fire," he said in an interview with PBS, according to a transcript released by the TV station.

But Obama, who is facing declining popularity ratings for the first time in his presidency, said a lot remains to be done to fix the recession-mired US economy.

"The analogy I use sometimes is, we had this beautiful house. And there was a fire. We came in and we had to hose it down. The fire is now out, but what we've discovered is, we need some new tuckpointing, the roof's leaking, the boiler's out, oh, and by the way, we're way behind on our mortgage," Obama said

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...y1nevkGcu5Qmlw
    Probably just a cheap shoot at FDR's land lease, but the FIRE is out, you're right Mr. Obama.

Well, let me give you an illustration: Suppose my neighbor’s home catches fire, and I have a length of garden hose 400 or 500 feet away. If he can take my garden hose and connect it up with his hydrant, I may help him to put out his fire. Now, what do I do? I don’t say to him before that operation, "Neighbor, my garden hose cost me $15; you have to pay me $15 for it." What is the transaction that goes on? I don’t want $15--I want my garden hose back after the fire is over. All right. If it goes through the fire all right, intact, without any damage to it, he gives it back to me and thanks me very much for the use of it. But suppose it gets smashed up--holes in it--during the fire; we don’t have to have too much formality about it, but I say to him, "I was glad to lend you that hose; I see I can’t use it any more, it’s all smashed up." He says, "How many feet of it were there?" I tell him, "There were 150 feet of it." He says, "All right, I will replace it." Now, if I get a nice garden hose back, I am in pretty good shape.
    http://www.britannica.com/bps/additi...for-Lend-Lease

Re: Obama on US economic crisis: 'The fire is now out'

Someone get this out touch man a subscription to itulip.com or in the very least a copy of today's US edition of the Financial Times.

http://www.itulip.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=191

If this is campaign sloganeering and not merely his opinion, it's even worse.

Doesn't take a genius (amongst the electorate) to figure out the banks (accept for Goldman) are still in trouble and the the FIRE companies will need more bailouts.

Just wait until Shittygroup, Fannie and Freddie release 2Q numbers...
    Last edited by Slimprofits; July 23, 2009, 02:19 PM.

Comment

The President is correct, the fire is now out.

Comment

Obama shows his Freudian Slip :eek:

Comment

I guess he has to start saying something, from what I see the natives are starting to get restless...

fyi:

and, fyi:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewr...es/030373.html

Comment

Originally posted by audrey_girl View Post
            I guess he has to start saying something, from what I see the natives are starting to get restless...

fyi:

and, fyi:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewr...es/030373.html
            It reminds me of Dubya's AWOL records.

If the president does what the power structure wants him to do, they will keep this away from him, regardless if he was born in Kenya, lost his citizenship in Indonesia or really was born in Hawaii.

Comment

7 words that will lead to a constitutional crisis, and then maybe to an even bigger economic crisis:

Natural born American citizen;
              Naturalized American citizen

from my research a very subtle issue of law here that everyone is ducking for now

Chester A. Arthur redux

Comment

Originally posted by we_are_toast View Post
                The President is correct, the fire is now out.

Your photo is an excellent analogy. Fire is out but I'm not so sure we shouldn't have just let it burn to the ground.

Comment

a_g, I'll "eat my hat" and much more if the birth certificate stuff is for real.

Why would Obama run for the Presidency in the first place if he knew it was possible for this to be exposed?

Of course there are a million ways to answer this, all of them wild theories:

(1) pressured to run by a group that controls him and holds this and other secrets about him that are far more damaging?
                  (2) such a nutjob that he would do anything to run the country including taking the risk?

what else?

This was hilarious:

The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
                  The Born Identity
                  www.thedailyshow.com
                  Daily Show
                  Full Episodes
                  Political HumorJoke of the Day
                  Last edited by Slimprofits; July 23, 2009, 05:43 PM.

Comment

I also find the birth certificate stuff silly.

Comment

Originally posted by babbittd View Post
                      a_g, I'll "eat my hat" and much more if the birth certificate stuff is for real.

Why would Obama run for the Presidency in the first place if he knew it was possible for this to be exposed?

Of course there are a million ways to answer this, all of them wild theories:

(1) pressured to run by a group that controls him and holds this and other secrets about him that are far more damaging?
                      (2) such a nutjob that he would do anything to run the country including taking the risk?

what else?

This was hilarious:

The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
                      The Born Identity
                      www.thedailyshow.com
                      Daily Show
                      Full Episodes
                      Political HumorJoke of the Day

I don't know why they are talking about it now

When he was running against McCain this was not an issue....

McCain's birthplace prompts queries about whether that rules him out

I don't understand why anybody would want to run for president, voluntarily ?

Alyona really made a face when it was suggested he was groomed for it.

Comment

Another chapter in the Great American Dog and Pony Show featuring, as paid for, the Great Distractor himself. An outstanding choice, boys! McCain would be toast by now.

Comment

D-Mack, I have no doubt he was groomed for the position.

He was thrust or burst onto the stage in Boston at the DNC in 2004 and it was obvious from that moment.

Comment

As a card carrying tin-foil-hat conspiricist, I am convinced that outrageous lies such as this (running a non-native citizen for President) can be, and repeatedly are, gotten away with. The sensible majority of people will dismiss the real truth as being an outrageous impossibility.

And as to why -- so that his controllers have "something on him." A gang of crooks cannot trust someone who is a straight arrow with no skeletons in their closet. Nor would a sensible and honest man be qualified for role that Obama is playing.
                            Most folks are good; a few aren't.

Comment

D-Mack, I have no doubt he was groomed for the position.

He was thrust or burst onto the stage in Boston at the DNC in 2004 and it was obvious from that moment.
                              Agreed. It was not obvious to me at the time, but in hindsight it is now obvious to me as well.
                              Most folks are good; a few aren't.

Comment

Working...
                              X