Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Percentage of Precious Metal in Your Portfolio.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Percentage of Precious Metal in Your Portfolio.

Two web sites at which I look are financialsense.com and safehaven.com. A fair number of single posts show up on both sites. Often investments in gold and silver are touted to the point that it stirs my contrarian spirit, or at least dampens my sense of being bullish. jk in itulip.com a few days ago posted a forum about asset allocation in which he wrote he had on May 9th 26% of his portfolio in precious metals (58% in GLD, 15% in SLV, 12% in TGLDX, 7% in PASS, and 5% in NEM)

Personally I have 8.29% in CEF (gold and silver) and 2.67% in SLV.

EJ wrote he has been in precious metals since 2001 but hasn't written to what degree he is presently serious about PM's.

Are any of the 6,041,275 visitor to this site beside jk and me willing to share how committed they are to precious metals? If so, put it down.

Jim
    Jim 69 y/o

"...Texans...the lowest form of white man there is." Robert Duvall, as Al Sieber, in "Geronimo." (see "Location" for examples.)

Dedicated to the idea that all people deserve a chance for a healthy productive life. B&M Gates Fdn.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. Unknown.

Two web sites at which I look are financialsense.com and safehaven.com. A fair number of single posts show up on both sites. Often investments in gold and silver are touted to the point that it stirs my contrarian spirit, or at least dampens my sense of being bullish. jk in itulip.com a few days ago posted a forum about asset allocation in which he wrote he had on May 9th 26% of his portfolio in precious metals (58% in GLD, 15% in SLV, 12% in TGLDX, 7% in PASS, and 5% in NEM)

Personally I have 8.29% in CEF (gold and silver) and 2.67% in SLV.

EJ wrote he has been in precious metals since 2001 but hasn't written to what degree he is presently serious about PM's.

Are any of the 6,041,275 visitor to this site beside jk and me willing to share how committed they are to precious metals? If so, put it down.

Jim
    IFair enough, Jim.

I got into PMs at the "traditional" 15% of portfilio in 2001. Still sitting tight. As Hunter Thomson would say -- bless his soul -- the Hog is in the Tunnel. Wiating to see what it does to get out.

Comment

ej if you put 15% of your funds into precious metals in 2001, and if you haven't taken any profits, my guess is that it's a good bit more than 15% now [unless you've done extraordinarily well in other sectors]. want to say what the percentage is now?

Comment

ej if you put 15% of your funds into precious metals in 2001, and if you haven't taken any profits, my guess is that it's a good bit more than 15% now [unless you've done extraordinarily well in other sectors]. want to say what the percentage is now?
        Have not taken any PM profits. If there were a way for me to tell you how much I own in PMs without also indirectly publishing my net worth, I'd be glad to tell you. But my net worth is not a matter of public record. But its fair to ask that I practice what I preach: no mortgage, cars are owned outright, no outstanding credit card debt.

Comment

Have not taken any PM profits. If there were a way for me to tell you how much I own in PMs without also indirectly publishing my net worth, I'd be glad to tell you. But my net worth is not a matter of public record. But its fair to ask that I practice what I preach: no mortgage, cars are owned outright, no outstanding credit card debt.
          EJ:

jk didn't ask you how much you own in PM's, he asked how had the percentage changes? I believe if you were to actually put down what is the current percentage of allocation you have to PM, I can't imagine how it would result in your publishing your net worth.

[b]Mortgages and cars owned.[b]

2 1/2 years ago, I took a home equity loan of $59K at 6% on my house which was at the moment was paid off and had been since I first moved into it. I mainly took the loan so as not to have to sell some stocks at a loss to pay off the balloon on a car I had leased and decided I wanted to keep. The stocks I did not sell went up siginifcantly from that time, after having gone down very significantly from the 2000 top. In effect, I ended up with the net of $59 still in my account. I did not go out and buy stuff with it. I thought then and still think so far, that I shall get to pay the bank back with inflated dollars.

I am sure many know much better than I, that if one has one's home paid for, there is still a "cost" to having the capital tied up in one's home. I think, perhaps incorrectly, that if my home is worth $170K and is paid up, then it is still "costing" me the interest I could be earning each month were the $170K in a money market fund. I got the loan also with the notion that something unknown (and I had nothing in mind regarding possiblities) could happen where I needed more cash than I had, and figured if something like that happened, I could not immediately get a equity loan and that later if I could get it, then I probably could not get it at such a low rate. So I am still paying off my loan month by month, and it is costing me a bit in net interest, but I have the money there if I were to need it. What is wrong with my rationale?

Last year, I had to selll the SUV I had and buy a bigger one to pull a slightly heavier travel trailer (so also bought a sliightly bigger travel trailer for trade-in and cash). The new SUV actually get better mileage than the one I traded which was then 5 years old--these are Toyota products. The deal on the new SUV was no interest for 60 months, and the salesmen at three dealerships told me the price they quoted was the same whether I paid cash or paid for it over 60 months. This is the only thing I have bought in my life "on time" that did not appear to have any interest rates. Where did I miscalculate?

Jim
          Jim 69 y/o

"...Texans...the lowest form of white man there is." Robert Duvall, as Al Sieber, in "Geronimo." (see "Location" for examples.)

Dedicated to the idea that all people deserve a chance for a healthy productive life. B&M Gates Fdn.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. Unknown.

Comment

Today

9% PM's

81% Oil Sands, Nat Gas and Miners/Coal

It's been quite a ride.

Comment

billmassi- i stand in awe of your boldness.

Comment

I DO TOO--THAT IS NEAR THE CERTAINTY OF A SUICIDE BOMBER.

Jim
                Jim 69 y/o

Comment

Working...
                X