90 % Down Days on NYSE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 % Down Days on NYSE

Paul Desmond of Lowry's Reports in Feb. 2002 published a report: Identifying Bear Market Bottoms and New Bull Markets I have a copy of the report in PDF (I don't recall where I got it on the web) but cannot find where anyone interested in this can get it, except for $10 on Lowry's website apparently printed. http://www.lowrysreports.com/research_studies.cfm#dow

At http://www.thestreet.com/markets/mar.../10269345.html .which is an interview with Desmond. at the bottom of the first page: Editor's note: Lowry's defines a 90% downside day as a session with 90% downside volume in conjunction with 90% downside price action, meaning 90% (or more) of the price movement of all stocks on a given exchange is lower.)

In the report Lowry said, To formulate our definition of panic selling, we reviewed the daily history of both the price changes and the volume of trading for every stock traded on the New York Stock Exchange over a period of 69 years, from 1933 to present. We broke the volume of trading down into two parts � Upside (buyers) Volume and Downside (sellers) Volume. We also compiled the full and fractional dollars of price change for all NYSE-listed stocks that advanced each day (Points Gained), as well as the full and fractional dollars of price change for all NYSE-listed stocks that declined each day (Points Lost). These four daily totals � Upside Volume and Points Gained, Downside Volume and Points Lost � represent the basic components of Demand and Supply, and have been an integral part of the Lowry Analysis since 1938. (Note: an industrious statistician can compile these totals from the NYSE stock tables in
    each day�s Wall Street Journal.) Emphasis Jim's

He went on, In reviewing these numbers, we found that almost all periods of significant market decline in the past 69 years have contained at least one, and usually more than one, day of panic selling in which Downside Volume equaled 90.0% or more of the total of Upside Volume plus Downside Volume, and Points Lost equaled 90.0% or more of the total of Points Gained plus Points Lost.

Yesterday was a 90% down day in the volume numbers if my spreadsheet has no errors.

I am way from industrious if given the task of calculating Total Points Gained and Total Points Lost on the NYSEfrom the daily WSJ.

THE QUESTION: Does anyone know where one can find such numbers that would show the total Points Gained and total Points Lost daily from the NYSE? I guess one could get them at Lowry's Reports, but I am too cheap to subscribe.

Without those numbers, one cannot perform Desmond's calculations. Of course the volumn data are avialable--I use the online WSJ.

Desmond also said, A single, isolated 90% Downside Day does not, by itself, have any long term trend implications, since they often occur at the end of short term corrections. But, because they show that investors are in a mood to panic, even an isolated 90% Downside Day should be viewed as an important warning that more could follow.

The only thing I can make from just using the available volumn data about yesterday's 90.08% down volume is it might be a semi-important warning that more could follow. Thus it is of highly questionable value.

Desmond's work is interesting and perhaps has some real usefulness in identifying bottoms. I personally do not think the equity markets are about to bottom. My purpose it to learn if the data on total Points Gained and total Points Lost exist so that I can personally perform Desmond's calculations.

If there is an answer please post it.

Thanks

Jim
    Jim 69 y/o

"...Texans...the lowest form of white man there is." Robert Duvall, as Al Sieber, in "Geronimo." (see "Location" for examples.)

Dedicated to the idea that all people deserve a chance for a healthy productive life. B&M Gates Fdn.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. Unknown.

i don't know where to get the data, but yesterday was indeed a 90% day. richard russell gets the info and mentioned it on his website this evening.

Comment

Do you have any updates on this? I know it has only been 2 business days, but the weekends tend to calm people down.

I made my money recently off of commodoties and have lost all of those profits in little over a week. Is it time to cash out?

Comment

Do you have any updates on this? I know it has only been 2 business days, but the weekends tend to calm people down.

I made my money recently off of commodoties and have lost all of those profits in little over a week. Is it time to cash out?
        Cannot tell you whether or not to "cash out."

To try to understand Desmond's study on market bottoms, I suggest you can go to lowrysreports.com and onder online the report of on90% down days. You can purchase it for $10 online and immediately get it emailed to you in a PDF format. Some years ago, I found the orignial report ont the web and have kept it, but Desmond has updated the study and to me just getting the update was worth $10.

The only way I know to access true 90% down days is to subscribe to Lowrys Reports, or as jk mentioned read the data in some other newsletter as a quote form Lowrys.

Enjoy the weekend, which right now seems a long ways off.

Jim
        Jim 69 y/o

"...Texans...the lowest form of white man there is." Robert Duvall, as Al Sieber, in "Geronimo." (see "Location" for examples.)

Dedicated to the idea that all people deserve a chance for a healthy productive life. B&M Gates Fdn.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement. Unknown.

Comment

I have a spreadsheet that can pull in the data from Yahoo and perform the calculations. If you'd like it let me know your email and I'll send it to you.

I haven't used it in some time, but I assume it will still work for your purposes.

Comment

I have a spreadsheet that can pull in the data from Yahoo and perform the calculations. If you'd like it let me know your email and I'll send it to you.

I haven't used it in some time, but I assume it will still work for your purposes.
            zeebie:

If you will click the right-most icon on this post, the one with a face, it shows my email address. Show me how to get the data and thank you.

Jim

Jim
            Jim 69 y/o

Comment

On the NYSE considering the total volume of all issues traded, the up volume for 5/31 and 6/1 was greater that 80% both days.

On one hand these might be considered back-to-back 80% up days as suggested by Paul Desmond to mark the beginning of a new up move in the market, but there is something wrong with putting much if any confidence in these two 80% up days.

First, I do not know if there was also 80% up days in points gained by all the up stocks versus point lost by the down stocks. These numbers are necessary to make the signal complete if they were to be greater than 80% for both days, and I do not know these numbers.

Desmond originally descibed these point calculations and volume calculations on all NYSE-listed stocks. I am ashamed to show my ignorance, but I do not actually know the definition of listed stocks. In simplest terms to me it means all stocks comprising the issues traded.

However, after zeebie a few days ago suggested that I could get the closing prices and volumes from Yahoo using the NYSE index, it made me consider: what was Desmond actually using to compile his data?

I looked at Yahoo and the NYSE components that are available there, and there were a few over 2000 stocks comprising the component list of the NYSE index. From a very cursory perusal of some of the lists which can be accessed 50 at a time, it appeared that the stocks in the NYSE index are all companies. I interpreted that to suggest that a lot of the issues traded each day are insturments that trade as stocks, but are not actually stocks--like ETF's.

Does anyone know for certain what all Desmond actually counts?

As zeebie suggested, these NYSE index issues could be accessed on Yahoo, but to do that one would have to download about 40 files and import them to a spread sheet to make the calculation--which requires more compulsion than I have.

Out of curiosity, I have begun to do Desmond's calculations on the NDX.
              Today was a up 98% day in points gained, and up 85% in volume of these 100 stocks. I do not know that this has any importance whatsoever.

Jim
              Jim 69 y/o

Comment

Today I asked Lowrysreports:

*Does 'NYSE-listed' include every single issue traded on the NYSE on a given day, or is it calculated on stocks that are just true companies as IBM, as opposed to 'stocks' such as ETF's, ADR's, CEF's, etc.?*

Paul Desmond replied:

*We maintain two major databases of NYSE trading. The first is based on all issues listed on the NYSE, including the closed-end mutual funds, foreign stocks and ADRs, and real estate rollups. The second database is called our Operating-Companies-Only statistics, which includes only domestic common stocks, and excludes all preferred stocks (which trade like bonds), closed-end bond funds, ETFs (which are currently very limited on the NYSE), foreign stocks, ADRs, and real estate rollups. We have been maintaining the 'O-C-O' database for about the last 17 years.*

*The 90% study was, for the sake of consistency, based on the all-issues database. But, we carefully monitor both databases for 90% Days and, thus far, the 90% Days are consistent on both databases, although there have been relatively small differences in the numbers. For example, the all-issues database may show a 92.2% day while the O-C-O database might show 93.1% -- both above 90.0%. If we found a significant difference, we would report the O-C-O numbers, since we consider them to be the most accurate reflection of the domestic stock market. By the way, we also maintain separate databases for the NASDAQ Market and the American Stock Exchange, as well as a combined database.*

I surmise that if one used the 2000+ stocks that comprise the NYSE index for the 90% calculations, that would be a fair approximation of what Mr. Desmond does with his Operating-Companies-Only database.

Jim
                Jim 69 y/o

Comment

Working...
                X